Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2024, 08:29 AM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
In other news Jr is putting Bubba in the 88 Rheem's Xfinity car. This is a good thing for NASCAR they need more guys like Bubba who have worked hard for the opportunity the old school way.
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...r-motorsports/

I'd call this a gimmick, except.. I don't want to take away from this guys big night.

Dude is 37. He's not exactly going to make his way to the top through the ranks at this point..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2024, 11:08 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,700,020 times
This was recorded before the NBC announcement. I guarantee you Jr got a truckload of money and a lot of input for the on air product. Obviously the most powerful voice in NASCAR right now.

https://youtu.be/tQ04Zj8yTaA?si=X5cXrDVa3vgOe7Yj

Old 03-01-2024, 01:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,829,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I'm gonna spend the exact same amount on Amazon Prime's NASCAR broadcasts as I spend on Thursday Night Football - $0.
Just another step to making it easier to NOT watch NASCAR, it's one thing to just turn on the tv but if I got to look to find out where it is at and how to watch (never mind pay money) eh... I just wait till tomorrow to read about the highlights. Bezos can pay Jr all the money in the world ... I personally don't think he is that great to listen to.

Old 03-01-2024, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I'd call this a gimmick, except.. I don't want to take away from this guys big night.

Dude is 37. He's not exactly going to make his way to the top through the ranks at this point..
Maybe it is a gimmick? For what, to get viewers? Like that doesn't happen on a regular basis. I'd sooner tune in to see a guy like Pollard get his shot at a high-profile ride than some Indy or foreign super car guy. Good on Jr for supporting the local short track guys and getting them some attention.

Old 03-01-2024, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Maybe it is a gimmick? For what, to get viewers? Like that doesn't happen on a regular basis. I'd sooner tune in to see a guy like Pollard get his shot at a high-profile ride than some Indy or foreign super car guy. Good on Jr for supporting the local short track guys and getting them some attention.

Yeah, well, that was SUPPOSED to be the focus of SRX.

I'm happy for the guy.. It's just.. He's not going to find himself running a full season most likely. This is kinda in the vein of Frankie Muniz. Though.. This guy probably is more deserving.

I think a car like that.. If Junior would take the #8 and, just at every track, give a local racer a seat in it.. I think that'd be great to see.

I'd say it'd be pretty hard to get a sponsor willing to do that on a permanent basis. Probably going to tear up a fair amount of equipment doing it. So.. I doubt anything like that ever happens, simply due to the financials.

Old 03-02-2024, 07:24 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,700,020 times
Remember Jerry Nadeau? Really good article about life after racing.

https://www.discoursemagazine.com/p/...utm_medium=web

Old 03-02-2024, 08:38 AM

SHR is apparently in the final year of their contract with Ford.

That.. Could be interesting. They're.. Maybe the 4th best Ford team now, behind Penske, RFK and FRM

I can't see Ford resigning them at the same level they have been when their performance isn't there. Though, it'd be a big Xfinity loss for Ford to lose them.

But.. Where do they go?

Back to Chevy? Lord, they'd be even further down the pecking order there.

Toyota? I don't think they'd be a factory supported team. Toyota seems to like keeping things smaller.

Honda? They won't be in the sport next year. At best, 2026. So, if that happens.. Who covers the gap year? And.. Does it wind up like a Bill Davis situation where they get sued left and right?

Old 03-02-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
SHR is apparently in the final year of their contract with Ford.

That.. Could be interesting. They're.. Maybe the 4th best Ford team now, behind Penske, RFK and FRM

I can't see Ford resigning them at the same level they have been when their performance isn't there. Though, it'd be a big Xfinity loss for Ford to lose them.

But.. Where do they go?

Back to Chevy? Lord, they'd be even further down the pecking order there.

Toyota? I don't think they'd be a factory supported team. Toyota seems to like keeping things smaller.

Honda? They won't be in the sport next year. At best, 2026. So, if that happens.. Who covers the gap year? And.. Does it wind up like a Bill Davis situation where they get sued left and right?
Who is Tonys drag team with? Ford ?

Old 03-04-2024, 06:17 AM

9,504 posts, read 9,830,587 times
Quote:
Yeah, also a sign that JR's popularity is waning don't know the details but once upon a time there is no way a network would let him get away. I suspect Jr's still thinking he still commands that money, and the network took a pass.
Is it really NBC who let Jr get away, or maybe Jr wanted to do something different?

This article makes more sense. https://www.essentiallysports.com/na...or-nbc-nascar/

Basically, Jr was a free agent and the Amazon/WB deal offered him more money and the chance to be on the leading edge of NASCAR's streaming future.

Although Jr is going to be 50 this year, his popularity is not waning by any means. DirtyMo is growing like crazy. The CarTours deal is getting bigger.

However, there are the new NASCAR fans who may not quite understand what the Earnhardt name means to NASCAR. While Chase Elliott has been the favorite of the fan votes, can he bridge that gap between older Jr fans and the new fans? I'm not sure yet, but the sport does need a younger Jr type of person for the future.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:07 AM

William Byrons day was pretty much ruined from a giant garbage bag.... could it be argued that the track has a responsibility to keep that crap off the track and therefore Byron should have been given his lap back?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing