Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2023, 11:22 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times

Advertisements

Well I'm done with Legacy Motor Sports. Word is Johnson switched to Toyota. Unreal! Thought that was one of Jimmies selling points was his long-standing relationship with Chevy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 11:33 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I don't necessarily disagree about Hamlin or Logano. Here's the difference in my view, they are both veterans, Logano is a 2-time Champion, Hamlin is all but a Champion. I'm not a fan of either one but Logano has taken his share of blows, literally and figuratively speaking, from various drivers because of it.
Chastain doesn't have the reputation that he has this early in his career for no reason. I look at it this way, if I were out there racing or (pick your favorite driver) ...who would make you the most nervous driving around for fear they are going to do something stupid. in my opinion Chastain is at the top of that list.
Hes not just aggressive he's reckless and careless, back in the day he probably already would have gotten his ass beat by Tony, Harvick or one of the older veterans.
I just prefer drivers that come in and respect the veterans and want to earn their respect. Guys like Byron and Bowman come to mind. To each his own.
So its OK for 2 known aggressive drivers to wreck others because they are vererans, but a sophmore Cup driver cant make a mistake or 2, or 3 or 4............Come on!! Really??

Quote:
I remember quite vividly Rusty complaining on his radio about "that Stewart guy" when Tony was a young aggressive driver. He didn't seem to like it then.
So hows that ifferent than the way Chastain is "racing"? Just because uts Tony Stewart? Again, why is aggresive racing OK for one driver and not the other. (BTW, Days of Thnder just so youll know.)

Old 05-02-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Well I'm done with Legacy Motor Sports. Word is Johnson switched to Toyota. Unreal! Thought that was one of Jimmies selling points was his long-standing relationship with Chevy.
Would it make you feel better if they went to Ford? Chevy doesnt have a new car yet.............

Old 05-02-2023, 11:48 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
A great move for Toyota. They need more cars in their lineup.

Old 05-02-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Would it make you feel better if they went to Ford? Chevy doesnt have a new car yet.............
Sure, that would certainly be better than Toyota! Obviously, Jimmies relationship with Chevy wasn't as great as he thought it was.
We knew Toyota was desperate to add teams not to mention they lost their #1 talent to Chevy along with his truck team.

Old 05-02-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
So its OK for 2 known aggressive drivers to wreck others because they are vererans, but a sophmore Cup driver cant make a mistake or 2, or 3 or 4............Come on!! Really??

So hows that ifferent than the way Chastain is "racing"? Just because uts Tony Stewart? Again, why is aggresive racing OK for one driver and not the other. (BTW, Days of Thnder just so youll know.)
I didnt say it was ok, I said Logano got put in his place more than once... same needs to happen to Wreck-em Ross.

Tony was aggressive but I don't think anybody would consider him as reckless as Chastain is.
Some day when Chastain is a 2-time Champion with as many wins as Tony has it might be a fair comparison.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I didnt say it was ok, I said Logano got put in his place more than once... same needs to happen to Wreck-em Ross.

Tony was aggressive but I don't think anybody would consider him as reckless as Chastain is.
Some day when Chastain is a 2-time Champion with as many wins as Tony has it might be a fair comparison.
Im sure that will happen, sooner than anyone expects.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:51 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
Yabut, with Chastains reputation......................

I wonder how many times Dale.Sr said that and it was OK, because, you know, it was Earnhardt? Ross is just getting, or has, a bad rap now because the media, and maybe Whiney Hamlin, have made him out to be the bad guy. To quote Rusty Wallace "You know a lot of guys don't like him. It's just a situation where a guy's got a lot of talent, he's wide open, he doesn't think about anything else, he just wants to win. I like that."

Dale wasn't immune to it..

Two examples I'll bring up are both the infamous Bristol races.

1995 where he wrecked Labonte across the line.. And Rusty bounced a water bottle off his nose during the post race interview because Rusty got dumped by Earnhardt earlier in the race.

1999.. The crowd let him have it after he wreck Labonte on the last lap. And you could kinda tell that he was a bit shaken by the crowd reaction. He certainly wasn't expecting that.

Larry Mac I saw had a good thought on it.. He said he had accepted Ross' apologies for all the other incidents.. But.. at a point, saying you're sorry just doesn't cut it anymore. He used an analogy of his kids apologizing for doing something they weren't supposed to do.. The first few times, you take the apology and move on.. But eventually.. You just put your hand up and say "I don't want to hear that you're sorry"..

He said that's the point he's at with Ross Chastain. And.. Yeah.. That really makes perfect sense.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:59 PM

I totally get what you guys are saying, I really do, and Im by no means defending Ross' actions. My point has been that this has been going on for decades, why now, is this being such a big deal. I mean come on, it was Brandon freaking Poole, and Larson was an innocent bystander, and if Im right, Poole was already a lap down. But I digress - I didnt even watch the race, r listen to it, I just got the highights from Youtube...........

Old 05-02-2023, 02:19 PM

17,579 posts, read 15,254,427 times
Quote:
I totally get what you guys are saying, I really do, and Im by no means defending Ross' actions. My point has been that this has been going on for decades, why now, is this being such a big deal. I mean come on, it was Brandon freaking Poole, and Larson was an innocent bystander, and if Im right, Poole was already a lap down. But I digress - I didnt even watch the race, r listen to it, I just got the highights from Youtube...........

Well, you touched on it there.. Kyle Larson, who may have had the fastest car, was taken out by it.

If Poole had cut a tire and collected Larson.. Hey. Not a word would be said. If Chastain had cut a tire and got into Poole who then collected Larson.. Ok.

But.. This was SLAMMING into the back of Poole... At the entrance to a turn. And.. yes.. Chastain has built up the reputation. If it had been Almirola who did it and he apologized for it.. That'd.. Mostly be the end.

But.. Chastain has ticked off much of the field. Sooner or later.. You know, someone brought up Logano earlier.. He calmed his butt down a bit when Kenseth took care of business. Yeah, Matt got a 2 week vacation because of it.. But.. I don't think he minded. And whatever fine there was.. He probably got other people willing to pay part of it.

Ty Gibbs had that reputation in Xfinity last year. He's been.. Pretty much a choir boy this year.

Ernie Irvan.. Remember him having to get up at the drivers meeting back in the day?

Even Earnhardt.. remember when Jeremy Mayfield 'rattled his cage'?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing