Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2023, 07:49 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,702,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Nah, wont watch it. Im boycotting the Bristol dirt race.
With you. Gimmick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 10:37 AM

9,892 posts, read 10,830,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
In Denny's defense, from his podcast, it was not blatant, but he did accept full responsibility and said he would work with JJ's team to make amends.
Haha, the broadcast happened to be looking out his windshield when he did it... I guess it depends on your definition of blatant.
Good for him for "making amends".
Probably not a real happy place around Gibbs this week Denny and his crew chief were at each other Truex was pissed at his crew chief probably some fun team meetings this week. Funny the Gibbs kid seems to be the team with no drama.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:39 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,412,521 times
If I want to watch dirt tracks I watch true dirt racers on FloRacing.

Old 04-06-2023, 05:42 AM

9,512 posts, read 9,834,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
If I want to watch dirt tracks I watch true dirt racers on FloRacing.
Here's another choice for dirt racing: https://www.dirtvision.com/

Old 04-06-2023, 05:49 AM

NASCAR is in a real pickle.

They are in negotiations right now for TV rights in 2025 and beyond.

Team owners want a much bigger piece of that action. The team council boycotted a important NASCAR meeting yesterday in protest that NASCAR is not listening to their proposals.

This year, every NASCAR broadcast has been DOWN from 6-16% over last year. Richmond was down 48% but it was on FOX last year compared to FS1 this year. So much for having leverage with potential broadcasters. Attendance is still trending down at most tracks.

The NextGen car is a mess. Their penalties for messing with the car is confusing and unfair. (HMS had their penalties greatly reduced, Kaulig racing penalties was just slightly reduced. For Kaulig, it's still devastating). The racing is not what was promised/expected in year two of this car.

NASCAR is trying to hard with gimmicky races...Coliseum, COTA, Dirt, Chicago...

Races are too long. There have been 28 cautions for multi-car accidents compared to 17 last year. - There have been 68 cautions for accidents and spins this year so far. (ESPN)

NASCAR's 75th anniversary is not starting off so well....

Old 04-06-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:

Team owners want a much bigger piece of that action. The team council boycotted a important NASCAR meeting yesterday in protest that NASCAR is not listening to their proposals.

This year, every NASCAR broadcast has been DOWN from 6-16% over last year. Richmond was down 48% but it was on FOX last year compared to FS1 this year. So much for having leverage with potential broadcasters. Attendance is still trending down at most tracks.

The NextGen car is a mess. Their penalties for messing with the car is confusing and unfair. (HMS had their penalties greatly reduced, Kaulig racing penalties was just slightly reduced. For Kaulig, it's still devastating). The racing is not what was promised/expected in year two of this car.

NASCAR is trying to hard with gimmicky races...Coliseum, COTA, Dirt, Chicago...

Races are too long. There have been 28 cautions for multi-car accidents compared to 17 last year. - There have been 68 cautions for accidents and spins this year so far. (ESPN)

NASCAR's 75th anniversary is not starting off so well....
Good summation...
The Kauling deal is going to be an issue. On the surface it looks like blatant favoritism to Hendrick and sticking it to the little guy. From what I understand it is a three person panel and it can be a different 3 persons each time hence differing outcomes for the same offense. Either way not a good look. Especially since NASCAR made it loud and clear it was not happy that Hendrick got their points back... probably weighed in on the decision with the Kauling panel.

Old 04-06-2023, 09:08 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,906,163 times
Quote:

To be fair, this day of reckoning has been coming for a long time. NASCAR, IMS, and SMI rested on their laurels for at least 15 years after they got their first mega TV deal. Nobody cared about empty seats because gate revenue was a drop in the bucket compared to the TV money.

Over the years they've slowly added a litany of dumb gimmicks - the "playoffs," double-file restarts, and stage racing, but NASCAR, which usually makes schedule changes at a glacial pace, has stepped up the "innovation" exponentially over the last 3-5 years. Why? They know the TV gravy train is about to reach the end of the line.

Look at some of what they've done the last 4 seasons alone. Converted the spring Bristol race to dirt, changed the summer race at Charlotte to the Roval, switched Indy to the road course (and temporarily moved it to 4th of July weekend), added COTA, added (and removed) Road America, added Gateway, added Nashville, removed Kentucky, did a doubleheader at Dover, dropped a date at Dover, did a doubleheader at Pocono, dropped a race at Pocono, added a date at Atlanta, added a date at Darlington, moved the All Star Race to Texas and now it's at North Wilkesboro, raced on the road course at Daytona, moved Miami from the fall to February, then to June, and now back to the fall, moved the 400 at Daytona from July 4th weekend to the end of August, moved the Clash to the LA Coliseum, and added a street race at Chicago. I'm sure there are some more changes I'm missing, but you get the idea.

Then they overhauled the chassis completely. The main changes - a sequential gearbox, larger wheels with center lug, and an independent rear suspension. The latter change was ostensibly for racing on street courses (like Chicago).

They simply can't keep a 36-race schedule and expect the TV networks to continue shelling out anywhere near the same amount of cash for the product. Something has to give, and the most likely scenario is a majority of the races are going to be moved off broadcast and onto streaming services and/or pay-per-view. NASCAR is gonna find out the hard way that most people aren't going to pay extra to watch a boring race at Michigan in August.

If they were smart, they'd cut the schedule down to no more than 25 races (including exhibitions).

Old 04-06-2023, 02:33 PM

273 posts, read 656,108 times
I'm gonna throw this in the mix just to see. NASCAR is hunting for attention so people will attend the races and more will watch on TV. The Long Beach Grand Prix doesn't seem to have either problem so maybe they should tune in.
Having said that, I'd like to see the new stock cars with a turbo charged V6 capable of 10K RPM.

I think they could do a lot more with the truck series as well. A total make over with some real V8 HP. Maybe raise them up so that they are hard to drive. I'm sure they can manage the air underneath so they don't become dangerous. Trucks are trucks so let them be trucks. Take the cover off the bed and let the tailgate be some kind of aero device.

No, I haven't given a lot of thought to this, but if I heard of big changes, I'd sure want to find out (watch TV).

One more thought: Larry McReynolds is good and so is the cut away car. More of this but also more of how things are affected during the race. More behind the scenes so people have a little more intuition as to what is happening rather than going around in circles. All of us here know what is happening, but what about the new comers? They need to bring people into this.

For instance, what about a celebrity race at Charlotte on the Legends oval? 3 heats of 6 cars and a 10 car main. The whole thing could be done in a hour.

Old 04-06-2023, 04:45 PM

Well looks like NASCAR wasnt going to tolerate Hendrick getting their points back from the appeals panel. This is getting to be a joke!
Oh and by the way, NASCAR changed the rule book so an appeal panel cannot do that anymore.

Last edited by silas777; 04-06-2023 at 05:04 PM..

Old 04-07-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well looks like NASCAR wasnt going to tolerate Hendrick getting their points back from the appeals panel. This is getting to be a joke!
Oh and by the way, NASCAR changed the rule book so an appeal panel cannot do that anymore.

This just proved that NASCAR was butt hurt over what happened. It's pure and simple retaliation. A very petty modification to the wiper motor housing or something like that.

Guess they are proving there is no Hendrick bias.

NASCAR is really turning into a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing