Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2022, 06:33 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,811,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Stewart Haas 10 car. Hendrick wont have him again. Maybe the 42, but unless hes desperate he wont go that route. Hell be back at Gibbs at least next year, maybe 2.

Or could this be a ruse to get Busch to sign with someone else, the suddenly find spnsorship for Ty.
Rumor is that the JGR>KB talks have hit some bumps in the road.

Also, SHR reportedly has reached out to Kyle. I think Smithfield would be happy to sponsor Kyle.

The problem would be will Toyota let him go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 10:32 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Also, SHR reportedly has reached out to Kyle. I think Smithfield would be happy to sponsor Kyle.

I wonder about that part, Smithfield has had a looong standing relationship with Almirola, who could be argued to be the opposite of Kyle Busch character-wise in spite of Arics performance. As Labonte mentioned would they want the volatile, juvenile Kyle Busch as the face of their company.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I wonder about that part, Smithfield has had a looong standing relationship with Almirola, who could be argued to be the opposite of Kyle Busch character-wise in spite of Arics performance. As Labonte mentioned would they want the volatile, juvenile Kyle Busch as the face of their company.
Good points. Other than a much higher chance of tasting victory lane with Kyle, Almirola is much more "polished spokesperson".

Sad that that could be more important than wins.

I hope with this next TV contract and with the "lower" costs of the NextGen, that owners will have to rely less on sponsors. That way they can hire the really good drivers that are out there, but not the picture perfect spokesperson. If the next TV contract has a better revenue sharing part of it like other major sports such as NFL, that will help the owners a lot and maybe give us a bunch of new exciting drivers.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:44 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,686,741 times
No chance the sponsorship model changes.

Kyle and Smithfield does not seem like a good pairing. Plus SHR isn’t exactly bringing top notch equipment to the track.

Toyota has said the possibility exists. Seeking contingencies for KB. https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2022/07...gn-kyle-busch/

Personally, I think KB has earned this. As Labonte said, dude isn’t growing up. Still a man child. He’ll end up somewhere, but not at the $$$ he thinks.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post

Kyle and Smithfield does not seem like a good pairing. Plus SHR isn’t exactly bringing top notch equipment to the track.

Toyota has said the possibility exists. Seeking contingencies for KB. https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2022/07...gn-kyle-busch/

Personally, I think KB has earned this. As Labonte said, dude isn’t growing up. Still a man child. He’ll end up somewhere, but not at the $$$ he thinks.
Agreed, from TRD David Wilson...“If there’s not sponsorship there, maybe we can create a bridge somewhere,” Wilson said.
What does that mean? Kyle goes to a 3rd, 4th car at 23xi and Gibbs, Jordan and Toyota all subsidize what ever sponser they can get.?

Old 07-20-2022, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Good points. Other than a much higher chance of tasting victory lane with Kyle, Almirola is much more "polished spokesperson".

Sad that that could be more important than wins.

I hope with this next TV contract and with the "lower" costs of the NextGen, that owners will have to rely less on sponsors. That way they can hire the really good drivers that are out there, but not the picture perfect spokesperson. If the next TV contract has a better revenue sharing part of it like other major sports such as NFL, that will help the owners a lot and maybe give us a bunch of new exciting drivers.
https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2022/07...gn-kyle-busch/
The question is where Busch would go. Stewart-Haas Racing has an opening after Aric Almirola announced before the season that this would be his last full-time Cup ride. But the notion of Almirola returning to keep sponsor Smithfield on board is gaining momentum.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:38 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,686,741 times
Maybe KB can take Reddick’s place.

Old 07-20-2022, 12:42 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't put money on that at this point.

Dale Jr has talked about this several times. It's even one reason he said that he may hold off on getting a charter until he knows what the new contract will be like.

Quote:
One reason for teams possibly seeking a higher percentage of media revenue is that a higher percentage would lower their reliance for sponsorship. Sponsorship would still be an important part of funding a team, but more TV money would further diversify their revenue streams and become more financially stable in the long run. Especially if a major sponsor ever decided to leave a team.
While of course, sponsors will still be on the cars, they may not have the influence over drivers as they once did, giving owners more leverage.

https://awfulannouncing.com/racing/n...edia-deal.html

Old 07-20-2022, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Maybe KB can take Reddick’s place.
One of the saddest things in NASCAR... No pictures or video of 65 year old Richard Childress putting young Kyle Busch in a head lock and punching him in the face.

Old 07-20-2022, 02:28 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,243,114 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post

I started to bring some of this up. So far as I know.. Smithfield is NOT signed for next year on the 10 car. So.. There's that. Do I think they move? Would they sponsor Kyle in the 10? Not likely. If they resign on the 10, they probably go with Preece. I see no option where they move to the 18.

There's no bumps in the talks with JGR. Until they have a sponsor signed, or a sponsor dependent on Kyle being the driver, there's nothing to say.

The bumps are more probably with everyone asking Kyle the question every time he turns around. I can see that being annoying.. And we know how well he handles being annoyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing