Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:21 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,871,311 times

Advertisements

People need to stop getting so upset.

Im not saying I could be a NASCAR champion, but I could drive it. I am a really good driver, grew up in WV where the roads are bad and snakey, and drive like a bat out of hell. I know how to drive a line through a curve and when to brake.

It is more of an issue that I just enjoy racing down fun roads, and am not really driven to become a NASCAR racer. I dont know a lot about the insides of cars, just how to drive them.

Think of me like the people from Top Gear. I like messing around in cars and having a good time. I dont really have a desire to race NASCAR, and even if I did I dont think I have the patience for it. Remember I came into this thread asking the appeal of NASCAR. I think it really goes for all auto racing. I dont enjoy watching it, although I do enjoy driving and racing.

I admit now I am intrigued. For the right amount of money I think I could find the patience to do something like NASCAR. I would rather do rally or F1, but people here are saying that NASCAR is easier to get into. Im sure it is better than my current job.

I also stand by my physical comments. Driving does take skill, no doubt. I dont see where conditioning, athleticism, stamina, or strength really come into play. You need to be in good enough shape to drive aggressively for a few hours. Maybe the physical wreck was incorrect, but I doubt you need to be a real athlete to be able to race. Drivers are NOT athletes.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Im not saying I could be a NASCAR champion, but I could drive it. I am a really good driver, grew up in WV where the roads are bad and snakey, and drive like a bat out of hell. I know how to drive a line through a curve and when to brake.
you might be able to do it at 65-70, now get a real race car and see if you can do it at more like 150-165.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:38 PM

890 posts, read 1,849,139 times
Top Gear - funny that was brought up. I'm assuming you are talking about the British version, because that's the only one worth watching.

Those guys are good drivers - but they aren't racers. This is one of my favorite clips.

Top Gear - James May & Jackie Stewart - Fast Driving Lesson with TVR Tuscan - YouTube

Old 06-08-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbd View Post
Top Gear - funny that was brought up. I'm assuming you are talking about the British version, because that's the only one worth watching.

Those guys are good drivers - but they aren't racers. This is one of my favorite clips.

Top Gear - James May & Jackie Stewart - Fast Driving Lesson with TVR Tuscan - YouTube
There is only one version of Top Gear, as far as I am concerned, and that is the British Version.

I like cars the way they like cars.

For the other poster 60-70 is nothing I can easily do 100+ on roads meant for 25.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:45 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
For the other poster 60-70 is nothing I can easily do 100+ on roads meant for 25.
Oh yea.. easy.. me too, do it all the time..

Old 06-08-2012, 08:00 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Quote:
I also stand by my physical comments. Driving does take skill, no doubt. I dont see where conditioning, athleticism, stamina, or strength really come into play. You need to be in good enough shape to drive aggressively for a few hours. Maybe the physical wreck was incorrect, but I doubt you need to be a real athlete to be able to race. Drivers are NOT athletes.
That whole paragraph proves you don't have a clue.

I wish there was a way you could experience driving in an actual race. Gotta believe you'd be singing a whole different tune after just a couple of laps.

Longest race I ever drove was 200 laps in a Camaro sportsman car on a low banked 3/8 mile asphalt track. Had my ass dragging for about a week.

Last edited by Gimme3steps; 06-08-2012 at 08:55 AM..

Old 06-08-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
That whole paragraph proves you don't have a clue.

I wish there was a way you could experience driving in an actual race. Gotta believe you'd be singing a whole different tune after just a couple of laps.

Longest race I ever drove was 200 laps in a Camaro sportsman car on a low banked 3/8 mile asphalt track. Had my ass was dragging for about a week.
I'd love to race on a track but it sounds expensive and I lack a suitable race car.

So I guess racing requires strong butt muscles?

Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
I'd love to race on a track but it sounds expensive and I lack a suitable race car.
Then you really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Quote:
So I guess racing requires strong butt muscles?
That and every other muscle in the body. Think that's called an athlete.

I've seen lots of guys who think they can drive barely complete a lap without hitting something or crapping their pants.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:07 AM

8,876 posts, read 13,907,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Then you really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

That and every other muscle in the body. Think that's called an athlete.

I've seen lots of guys who think they can drive barely complete a lap without hitting something or crapping their pants.
Then after he wins the Sprint Cup and Rookie of the Year, he's going to take his Guitar Hero skills and go on tour with Clapton and Van Halen!

Old 06-08-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Then after he wins the Sprint Cup and Rookie of the Year, he's going to take his Guitar Hero skills and go on tour with Clapton and Van Halen!
Will that be before or after he runs for President?

Last edited by Gimme3steps; 06-08-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing