Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 10:52 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,942,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
It makes me laugh how people think that NASCAR is such an easy sport. I can run with a football in my hand...does that mean I can be a football player? I can hit a ball with a club...does that mean I could be a golfer? I can kick a ball that's on the ground...does that mean I could be a soccer player? NASCAR, just like every sport...is much more difficult than a lot of people think. If your car isn't running good...you had better be able to tell your crew what is wrong with it, because if you don't...they will have no idea what to fix. If your car has problems and needs to be taken to the garage, you had better plan on helping the crew and figuring out what is wrong, because they wont appreciate you taking a nap while they are fixing the car. Being able to drive fast is fine and dandy, but try doing it with 42 other cars around you...all of which are going nearly the same speed as you. I have a feeling it wouldn't be as easy. Is there any strategy other than having to make pit stops? Well....what exactly is a pit stop? Just making a pit stop isn't exactly a strategy. What you do to your car on that pit stop, however, is a strategy. Now while I'm a big NASCAR fan, I am in no way an expert. However, I do know that there is much more to the sport than just driving and pitting.
Most sports require skill and athleticism. Racing, all types not just NASCAR, require skill. You could be a physical wreck and be a successful racer so don't put racing on the same level with football. It is not a good comparison.

I easily have the skill to race NASCAR. I don't have the patience to do so nor the time and money to get started. Maybe I am an exceptional driver.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:34 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,819,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Most sports require skill and athleticism. Racing, all types not just NASCAR, require skill. You could be a physical wreck and be a successful racer so don't put racing on the same level with football. It is not a good comparison.

I easily have the skill to race NASCAR. I don't have the patience to do so nor the time and money to get started. Maybe I am an exceptional driver.
A few years ago me and a bunch of friends went to Dover and each of us got a car and rode 10 laps, 3 at a time with an instructor up front, the cars maxed out around 120 mph. I'm not a super driver and I had no problem riding around the track, but doing it with 42 other cars, hell no!

To me, it's more like a skill like hitting a baseball, not really athletic as basketball and football are.

Old 06-06-2012, 01:59 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,956,762 times
Quote:

Do you really believe that?

If you do then you really are in the dark about racing, especially at the Cup level.

Skilled? Buy yourself a street stock or a bomber or whatever they call them in your area and give it a shot at the local short track. Be sure and let us know when and where. On second thought maybe a mini-stock would be best for you. Small and slow. Now that would be fun to watch.

Last edited by Gimme3steps; 06-06-2012 at 02:07 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 03:51 PM

33,386 posts, read 35,114,204 times
Quote:

you certainly are arrogant enough to be a race car driver i can tell you that. however uless you have actually been behind the wheel of a race car IN COMPETITION, you have no proof of these skills of which you speak. many years ago i thought i had mad driving skills, until i got my butt handed to me. since then i have developed my driving skills, and abilities, including how to see the best line through a corner, which corners are most important, and which ones are least important, etc. and even as good as i have gotten over the years, i dont have the level of skill needed to drive a cup car. as i said, get yourself a car, and go out and win some races, then come back and tell us what kind of mad skills you have.

as for comparing football to racing, you have to be an athlete to compete in either sport. davy allison once asked his father bobby how he should prepare for a cup race. bobby replied by saying take a rowing machine, put it in a sauna, turn the temperature up to 140 degrees and row for four hours straight. now tell me how many football players can do that?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:59 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,664,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
this is not true. having been a crew chief in the past, i can tell you that i would rather have the driver just go away while i and my crew work on the car as the driver usually just gets in the way. a lot of drivers think they know how to work on cars, and they dont. the few that do are ones like alan kulwicki who had a degree i engineering and built his own race cars. jef gordon may be able to work on his family car, but he doesnt get his hands dirty working on his race car because he knows he doesnt know anything.
Often times the driver will remain in the car if the repairs aren't too lengthy.
Quote:

Physical wreck? Not hardly. While brute strength is not a necessity there is a degree of conditioning invloved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
A few years ago me and a bunch of friends went to Dover and each of us got a car and rode 10 laps, 3 at a time with an instructor up front, the cars maxed out around 120 mph. I'm not a super driver and I had no problem riding around the track, but doing it with 42 other cars, hell no!

To me, it's more like a skill like hitting a baseball, not really athletic as basketball and football are.
I did the RP driving experience at Charlotte may years ago. What a blast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

If you do then you really are in the dark about racing, especially at the Cup level.

Skilled? Buy yourself a street stock or a bomber or whatever they call them in your area and give it a shot at the local short track. Be sure and let us know when and where. On second thought maybe a mini-stock would be best for you. Small and slow. Now that would be fun to watch.
He thinks because he can drive down a dirt road fast he could drive a stock car, just like hitting balls at the batting cages makes me ready for the majors.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:16 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,819,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post

I did the RP driving experience at Charlotte may years ago. What a blast!
It was a blast, I also did the 4 laps with a driver man that was crazy, my face seemed like inches from the outside wall,he was flying. I'd like to go back to do the trucks.

As for the track itself I can't believe how bad the banking was it is so steep that you could fall down and be at the bottom in few seconds, we drove a van around it and I thought that we would tip over. That's the stuff you don't get on tv.

They may not be super athletes but it's not like driving a car in 85 mph traffic and I don't care how safe those cars are, racing around a track with 42 other cars going that fast takes lots of skill and craziness.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:34 AM

6,810 posts, read 5,724,876 times
Quote:

If you truly had the skills, you wouldn't need the money.. an owner with the money would take care of that.. perhaps you do have the skills but certainly not the desire which is required by all top drivers..

I'm not saying you do or your don't have the skills to drive in Nascar but there are 100s who thought they did or wished they did but in reality, did not..

Old 06-07-2012, 10:54 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,956,762 times
cry_havoc = Cole Trickle

What do you know about stock car racing?
Well... watched it on television, of course.
You've seen it on television?
ESPN. The coverage is excellent, you'd be surprised at how much you can pick up.
I'm sure I would.

You run good.
Thank you.
Now go get your own car and we'll see how you do in a crowd.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:12 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,157,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post

I second that, but he is way to skilled for the lower budget classes. He can come to FL and run a Super Late or OWM and I'd bet the farm he couldn't stay on the lead lap as some of the shoes around here.

Old 06-07-2012, 06:19 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,664,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
It was a blast, I also did the 4 laps with a driver man that was crazy, my face seemed like inches from the outside wall,he was flying. I'd like to go back to do the trucks.

As for the track itself I can't believe how bad the banking was it is so steep that you could fall down and be at the bottom in few seconds, we drove a van around it and I thought that we would tip over. That's the stuff you don't get on tv.

They may not be super athletes but it's not like driving a car in 85 mph traffic and I don't care how safe those cars are, racing around a track with 42 other cars going that fast takes lots of skill and craziness.
Charlotte is deceptively steep; 27 degrees doesn't sound like much until you're riding around in the tour van thinking you could reach out and touch the track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing