Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Sticky?!?! If something similar is already posted...sorry.

Helpful Tip,
For all of those about to move or thinking about moving to the Atlanta metro area, in order for us to better assist you and for you to get more responses please provide us with as much of the following information as possible in your initial post please:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

These are just a few off the top of my head, feel free to add more.
hello. Me and two friends are thinking about moving to Atlanta this summer and was hoping for some help on which areas or zip codes to look in to..
1. we will be room mates so we're looking to rent a 2 bedroom with basement or den or 3 bedroom with basement or den or just a simple 3 bedroom for about 800-850 a month.
2. We prefer a townhouse, single family home, or multi family home.
3. We're all working right now and hoping to find jobs close to home or in Atlanta. no more than 30 mins away from the house.
4. No children. All college graduates.
5. would like a mix of both suburban and urban lifestyle
6. Im the only one with a car right now so public transit is a must for my room mates.
7. Anywhere safe no crime or low crime. Im from Baltimore, kinda use to it but wouldn't wanna be around it. Looked at homes in Decatur so far.
Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,624 times
Hi,
I am associate broker and can help in locating house for rent or buy in the Atlanta area.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,621 times
Default Moving to Atlanta Midtown vs Buckhead

Hello all!

My name is Zach and I will be moving to Atlanta in a week or two. I grew up in Kansas City and went to school at Kansas State but moved out to LA for my first job with Lexus. I will be relocating to Atlanta from LA and working in Alpharetta. I have narrowed it down to Buckhead or Midtown. I know it has been asked before but can anyone help me personally with the decision?

I am almost 24, single and straight and wont know a single person in the city. I am very social and love to have a good time. I am wanting to live in some type of nice (modern) apartment complex with a lot of young people. The bigger the gym, the better! Budget is around $900-$1,200. I love going out on the weekends as well. I realize the drive to Alpharetta is not a short one, but I get a company vehicle and gas card so it isn't a huge concern for me. Can anyone tell me what it will realistically take to get to work in the morning and home?

Deciding between Buckhead and Midtown is the main thing here but also, does anyone have any specific apartment complex that are hot spots for young people? I don't know if this sounds bad but attractive girls is definitely a plus

Thanks for everyones help in advance! Really looking forward to getting out there. It looks like a really fun city.

-Zach

Old 05-14-2015, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,462 times
Smile A few suggestions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_carp15 View Post
Hello all!

My name is Zach and I will be moving to Atlanta in a week or two. I grew up in Kansas City and went to school at Kansas State but moved out to LA for my first job with Lexus. I will be relocating to Atlanta from LA and working in Alpharetta. I have narrowed it down to Buckhead or Midtown. I know it has been asked before but can anyone help me personally with the decision?

I am almost 24, single and straight and wont know a single person in the city. I am very social and love to have a good time. I am wanting to live in some type of nice (modern) apartment complex with a lot of young people. The bigger the gym, the better! Budget is around $900-$1,200. I love going out on the weekends as well. I realize the drive to Alpharetta is not a short one, but I get a company vehicle and gas card so it isn't a huge concern for me. Can anyone tell me what it will realistically take to get to work in the morning and home?

Deciding between Buckhead and Midtown is the main thing here but also, does anyone have any specific apartment complex that are hot spots for young people? I don't know if this sounds bad but attractive girls is definitely a plus

Thanks for everyones help in advance! Really looking forward to getting out there. It looks like a really fun city.

-Zach
My hubs and I moved to ATL at the end of last summer and were in a similar situation - in our late 20s/upper 30s- wanted a lively environment as we didn't know a ton of people here. We moved from DC -> ATL, first- you are making the right decision- ATL is amazing. Given your age what you are looking for - I would recommend you check out the following properties- Post Brookhaven, Post Peachtree Hills- many of the Post communities are fairly attractive to the younger crowd- you can realistically get a pretty big 1 bedroom (roughly 800 sq feet) for about $1000-$1200/month. One of my best friends just moved here from NY and moved into peachtree hills- it's pretty lively. We settled at Phipps Place just behind the mall, but it actually tends to be more corporate housing than anything else. Coming from LA you'll understand about a driving city- and Atlanta is very much a driving city, however, uber is super cheap.

We live in Buckhead and I commute to Alpharetta (Exit 9 on 400) 3 days a week. My hours are pretty flex, however, I leave the house by 820ish every day and am at my desk around 845-850. Heading South down 400 in the evenings is the tricky part. As long as I'm on 400 by 4:15-4:30 I can realistically get to Buckhead in 30 minutes or so. If you leave any later than 5pm you should just stay until 7pm as you will be looking at an hour + commute.

I hope some of this helps- I really wish someone would've helped us understand the differences in areas. Your commute in the morning wont be the issue- it's just if you settle in midtown your commute home will be that much more in the evenings. It mostly seems like most new to town people settle in buckhead and then figure out where they want to move from there.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-30-2015, 08:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,223 times
Our family is moving to Atlanta very soon. I Will work downtown and we want to stay in Johns Creek,Alpharetta,Milton since we have seen good reviews on middle schools there. We are thinking about rivertrail middle and web bridge middle schools. Anyone has any feedback on these schools?

Also communtewise is there much difference if we stay in Johns Creek or Alpharetta or Milton. I am told best way to get to downtown by MARTA would be to go to North Springs and take a train to downtown. Can you some provide feedback on how far is North Springs MARTA station from Johns Creek?

I truly appreciate all the help.

Old 05-30-2015, 10:42 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,163,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarangbapat1 View Post
Can you some provide feedback on how far is North Springs MARTA station from Johns Creek?
Click this link for map

It shows around 20 miles, although of course your exact location in Johns Creek will be different.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,182 times
Smile Moving To Atlanta 2016

My family and I are moving to Atlanta in June of 2016. We have not yet found jobs but are currently looking. I'm looking for employment in a call center atmosphere or at least something in the Hospitality field. We currently live in a neighborhood in Atlantic City, NJ that is very multicultural, which we love. We are in walking distance to great schools, entertainment, doctor's offices, laundromats, and shopping centers. I know this isn't much information to go on, but are there any decent neighborhoods that follow this criteria in Atlanta? Any jobs in Atlanta within walking distance these neighborhoods? We don't drive so we would be relying on public transportation. Any feedback, positive or negative, would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Old 06-02-2015, 11:58 PM

10 posts, read 20,462 times
Hello and Help!

My husband and I, both 33, are relocating from Roanoke,VA with Norfolk Southern around July 10 (closing on our current house is July 15) and after a failed attempt to find a house in a weekend (yes, I know) we decided to rent at first, with intent to buy once we get the lay of the land and can afford what we think we want.

1. Budget $1700-$1900/mo (less is better so we can save)

2. House/Condo/Townhome? Any. 2-3 bed with at least 1.5 bath. We have a W/D.

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute to Midtown (or within)

4. Children(public school vs. private) Furkid - 8 y/o female yellow lab. Schools not important, but dog friendly

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle
Both, but desire to take advantage of the Urban conveniences. Walkability would be ideal, but would commute if other conveniences are close enough.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Would be nice, but not imperative. Can always Uber to MARTA.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. SAFE. That's our biggest concern. We don't want to come home to a ransacked house without our sweet dog. I've read so many horror stories already.

We like to workout, drink good beer, and walk to places if at all possible. Have toyed with Living in Midtown, but I see so much theft unless you pay way more than we'd like. Also love VaHi, Emory/Druid Hills areas but would be open to Brookhaven if near a MARTA.

Please, please help as we have been scouring the Internet for places and cannot seem to have any luck finding something.

Kate (and Chad)
Roanoke, VA

Last edited by DMBFlower; 06-03-2015 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: More info

Old 06-14-2015, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 6,189 times
Where should I start looking? Coming from Wheaton, IL (west of Chicago). I own a small, but national communications firm, and will locate near wherever I live. My wife will commute. Looking for corp finance. She presently directs an aspect of this for a major Chicago-based retailer.

1. 250-350K
2. House. 4+ beds, 2+ baths, 10K+ sq ft yard. Prefer within 30 minutes of Lilburn (friends live there).
3. Wife to commute. Ideally under 30:00.
4. One son. He's four. Looking for best school. Open to private/charter. Big influence where we will live.
5. Suburban, with small-town tone, with access to outdoor running trails.
6. Public transit not important
7. Educated people who love their community. An artistic and/or literary culture would be nice. Healthy people. Prefer more runners and fewer smokers.

Old 06-17-2015, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,963 times
Wow, this is a good information for people. This info is very useful for people inside and outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta