Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 AM

11,879 posts, read 14,208,559 times

Advertisements

Ok, here goes:

I am a 21 year old South Indian college student going to Georgia Tech, and will moving in with my potential roommate in early August. We need an apartment no more than 1.5 mile away from the campus with rent between $650-$800 +- $25 per person. Requirements are that the area must be safe for students to walk or use transit at night, as my roommate is coming from India for the first time and not be having a car (I will, however have a car). I have looked into 100 midtown and gardenwood apartments so far. Anyone have advice on how fast these get sold out, and when I should reserve an apartment for 2. If these two are sold out, where else can I look. Any advice on Tenside or Centennial.

In terms of Utilities, good A/C is a must. Atlanta is quite hot, as I am used to cooler summers here in CNJ.

Please PM me for more details if you are interested to help out. We need some guidance soon, before apartments fill up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,374 times
Smile help n gainesville

Hi,
I really need help! I need to move to a nice area close to Emory, have 1 bedroom apt, or a house that have a den or a bonus room (I would really prefer this, due to the fact when I have surgery will need assistance. I'm a kidney patient, and I have to relocate from Gainesville to make doctor appts. I need a lower level, or ranch and accessible to Marta. I also need them to accept my voucher. I need to move by 06/29, I have adult kids and small grandkids that do visit. Something within walking distance to store, entertainment, restaurants and park. Hope it's quiet for the days I'm not feeling well......
Is that enough?
Let me hear from ya............

Last edited by precious44; 05-08-2014 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-17-2014, 03:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,217 times
Dear Sir
I have a green card ,I will move to Atlanta .I want to know How I can find work .I have a Master of Engineer from IHE Institute in Netherlands I want to find a full PHD scholarship. Can I live with my family or I can not.The USA government can help the immigrant or not ? How?
Thanks

Old 06-03-2014, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 4,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emorefaat View Post
Dear Sir
I have a green card ,I will move to Atlanta .I want to know How I can find work .I have a Master of Engineer from IHE Institute in Netherlands I want to find a full PHD scholarship. Can I live with my family or I can not.The USA government can help the immigrant or not ? How?
Thanks
No help from the U.S Government to find jobs that I know of. Try applying to Georgia Tech. They may give you a teaching or graduate research assistant gig. If you get admission in PhD program you are sure to get some form of small salary, like $20k a year, its very competitive though. Did you ever take the GRE? What type of Engineering have you done?

Also not the right forum for this topic probably need to move this discussion.....

Old 06-08-2014, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 1,925 times
Default Looking in Kirkwood

I currently rent in Inman Park and have been here for about 3 years now. I love the area but feel it is time to move on and invest in a purchase..preferably a house. Unfortunately the housing costs here are astronomical and not affordable on my budget. I have been seriously looking in Kirkwood and my only reservation is the perceived "high crime" in the area. I was a little taken aback when I looked on the APD website to find that the crime where I currently live looks to be worse than that of the area I was looking in Kirkwood; to be specific on the south end of Rockyford Rd. It seems like they are taken steps in the right direction to fix the problem areas. Can a current resident or long time local shoot it to me straight on how "bad" the crime really is around there? Thanks!!

Old 06-15-2014, 12:59 AM

3 posts, read 6,210 times
I'm moving to Atlanta before September. I'm a blk,39 yr old man. I'm a truck driver so I'll have a job when I get there. I'm looking for a 1 to 2 bedroom apartment in the suburbs. No children, I have no family/friends in Atlanta. I have my own car. Just looking for information on the best area. I'm single so I wouldn't mind being in the area with single women. Get at me

Old 06-18-2014, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,755 times
Smile Moving with Black Son

Looking at moving from SC within the next 6 months for a job with company that has offices in Alpharetta, Roswell and Decatur. We are a bi-racial family - I am White and my preschool-aged son is Black. Looking for a liberal area, where my son can find positive Black/AA role models. I've read that Alpharetta is fairly conservative, and that Decatur may be a good fit for us. I am looking to rent at around $900/month and he will probably go to public school, preferably Montessori. What do you think? Thanks so much for any replies!

Old 07-07-2014, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,557 times
Question Moving to ATL 2014

Hi...

My plan is to relocate to Atlanta next year, with my 11 yr. old daughter and one daughter may follow later after attending college in NJ. I will retire from my company of 30 yrs. in June 2015. My daughter will be going to the 6th grade so I will probably need to secure a home by July because public school starts in August right? I will need a large home because my other daughters/grandchildren will be visiting. Well here is a little information about my situation:

1. Budget: Rentals $1,800 max
2. House or Townhome 4-5 bdrms lol (just in case someone is a realtor)
3. I will be retiring with a pension, my plan is to apply for a p/t position close to my home
4. Public school preferred (Middle/High School)
5. Definitely Suburban lifestyle, that's all I know
6. Public transportation not that important
7. A buzzing town that has many things that children will enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Sticky?!?! If something similar is already posted...sorry.

Helpful Tip,
For all of those about to move or thinking about moving to the Atlanta metro area, in order for us to better assist you and for you to get more responses please provide us with as much of the following information as possible in your initial post please:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

These are just a few off the top of my head, feel free to add more.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:34 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RETIRE2014 View Post
Hi...

My plan is to relocate to Atlanta next year, with my 11 yr. old daughter and one daughter may follow later after attending college in NJ. I will retire from my company of 30 yrs. in June 2015. My daughter will be going to the 6th grade so I will probably need to secure a home by July because public school starts in August right? I will need a large home because my other daughters/grandchildren will be visiting. Well here is a little information about my situation:

1. Budget: Rentals $1,800 max
2. House or Townhome 4-5 bdrms lol (just in case someone is a realtor)
3. I will be retiring with a pension, my plan is to apply for a p/t position close to my home
4. Public school preferred (Middle/High School)
5. Definitely Suburban lifestyle, that's all I know
6. Public transportation not that important
7. A buzzing town that has many things that children will enjoy.
Not having to worry much about a commute, I am pretty sure there are lots of places to live within your budget. I'll mention a couple of areas that I've had good experiences with. If you are looking for diverse good schools in your price range, you might look into the Parkview High and Brookwood High clusters in Gwinnett County. The schools are good, but very large, and it is a family oriented place with parks and and activities for kids (we enjoyed soccer there). My friends like the Sugar Hill area in Gwinnett. If you don't mind being an hours drive (without traffic) from Atlanta, Oconee County has great schools, close to the University of Georgia, and is very safe and family oriented (but, not nearly as diverse as Gwinnett County).

Old 07-13-2014, 12:35 AM

296 posts, read 439,304 times
Hi there

I'm hoping to relocate to Atlanta for work reasons and happened to visit recently for 2 days. I, however, could not get a complete look at the various places for accommodation but kind of liked the area near Atlantic Station. I was wondering if the locals could provide some recommendation as to places worth (safe, commutable and "fun") looking at.

I'm a single young professional will be working in downtown and will be getting a car (im guessing this is unavoidable in Atlanta) however would still like to use the MARTA to get to work if its safe and possible. I would like to live close to (walking or drivable distance) where the social life is -midtown and buckhead are the two that were mentioned to me but i'm open to hearing from others.

Budget - $1500 max open to all types of housing, would prefer the condo style with gym etc if possible -safe and clean with parking
Open to other housing types too - ideally looking for one bedroom at the cheapest cost but might consider sharing with one other. I prefer the newer accommodations ( as opposed to old Victorian style ). Gas burners definitely get priority.
Bars/Restaurants/Grocery closeby
How much should i budget for utilities (all inclusive) if i were to stay by myself?

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta