Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,757 times

Advertisements

I knew my comment wouldn't vome across as I meant it and would be taken wrong . . . I'm NOT concerned about my son "becoming gay", that's NOT my issue! Let me clarify, I have a problem with any "OVERT" or strongly displays of behavior whether it's from heterosexuals or otherwise!! My son is well rounded and our family embraces diversity (how could we not being minorities . . . LOL)!!

Just like I don't allow my son to watch "booty shaking" videos that display half naked girls, I'm just as concerned with my son being overexposed to men walking around carrying purses and wearing high heels!

My comment has nothing to do with being "around" gay people versus "straight" people or each group of people being secure and confident in who they are . . . Just like any GOOD parent, my concern is always about providing my child with the best environment possible! It is NOTHING against the gay community at all!

Listen, I've been to Atlanta and as a well rounded and well exposed adult I was taken back by the who men wearing high heels and carrying purses (not just a few, LOTS)!! Maybe it was just the area I was in, I don't know because I was only there for a few days, which is the reason I'm asking for perspective from those who live there and know the city . . . That's ALL!

I hope I didn't offend anyone and I sure didn't mean any disrespect whatsoever. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 6,757 times
Thank you for your reply! I'm glad you understood my comment and didn't take it in the wrong way because it wasn't meant to be disrespectful or judgemental! Your simple reply is just what I was looking for . . . What area of Atlanta do you live in?

Old 04-05-2011, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 7,266 times
Default I am looking to relocate to atlanta from chicago

I am a single parent of a 13 year old boy, I am a singer/songwriter, jewelry maker DESLA'S CREATION - SAY IT WITH ME and I am an actress. I am looking for a part time job, vending gigs, band gigs, a roommate and a nice simple 1 bedroom apartment some where close to my job and those career opportunities, and is animal friendly I have a cat. I am from Chicago and I have been performing out here for a long time, professional resume /head shot are available. I also have an after school program I started here in Chicago where I teach drama, and improv. a proposal is available. I also have a conventional professional resume on hand too upon request. My skills are customer service, waitress, cashier, and clerical. Being close to trains (hopefully 24 hrs) is VERY important, might be coming home late. Having access to shopping centers,banks, parks, events, urban culture in walking distance is another MUST. I have been to atlanta many times but not to the extent of exploring all the cities, my favorite place to go is lil 5 points (maybe that helps). I am ready for a change..I am going through a transition I enjoy the energy I feel when I in Atlanta. I feel like that is where I need to be. I could use some great ideas in order to make this trip smooth. My son gets out of school on June 2nd I have to be out of the place that im staying in by the 12th of June. I no i need some help on a great school for him before September, and would like to have a job before then as well. I am looking to meet some new positive people in Georgia that share the same interest, and have some openings available. I am a professional woman and I take pride in my craft. Mature and respectful Links, numbers, ideas are accepted. thank you

Old 04-05-2011, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,129 times
Default Hello to anyone from Atlanta Georgia area who can help me.

I am a former police officer from the Jersey Shore area who got injuried on the job . Me and my family have decided to move to the out skirts of the Atlanta area. I have friends down their but all want me to move around them. I love them but need my space and want to make my own decision on where I want to plant my family. I want to rent a home for the time being so I can up root and make my decision on where i wanna be @ a later date. But i need help from my soon to be neighbors on which place can benefit me my future wife, 2 sons over 21 and step daughter 15. I need an area so my oldest can find a job too. Im not worried about my fiance because shes can find a job @ a hospital because of her college degree. Please help me escape from the Jersey's high taxes and crazy weather!!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,115 times
Default Moving to ATL -- Glenwood East?

I'm in Chicago now and heading to Atlanta for six months, maybe a year, maybe longer if things work out. I have no idea where to start. I hate cars an want to be near public trans. Found this apt. complex description:

A mere two miles from Downtown Atlanta, Glenwood East feels like something from another place and time. It offers a lifestyle unlike anything in the city. Quiet and relaxed. Highly walkable. (http://www.deepdiscountapartments.com/renter/detail?property_id=35&unit_id=23 - broken link)

Does anyone know what this place is really like? Live there?

Old 04-07-2011, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 13,697 times
Default Foreclosures in Atlanta and Metro Area

If you are planning on moving to Atlanta or to a Metro Area of Atlanta, Georgia, Please contact me at 770-480-7860. I can assist you with a smooth hassle free transaction. No one knows when the market will change. Currently home in Georgia are selling below market. If you buy now, when the market turns you will have equity in your home. Call now!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 04-10-2011, 08:36 PM

439 posts, read 852,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notbeat4Jerseyanymore View Post
I am a former police officer from the Jersey Shore area who got injuried on the job . Me and my family have decided to move to the out skirts of the Atlanta area. I have friends down their but all want me to move around them. I love them but need my space and want to make my own decision on where I want to plant my family. I want to rent a home for the time being so I can up root and make my decision on where i wanna be @ a later date. But i need help from my soon to be neighbors on which place can benefit me my future wife, 2 sons over 21 and step daughter 15. I need an area so my oldest can find a job too. Im not worried about my fiance because shes can find a job @ a hospital because of her college degree. Please help me escape from the Jersey's high taxes and crazy weather!!
Sir, I would not listen to friends when it comes to moving anywhere. There are plenty of examples of people who moved in to Atlanta recommended by friends and they are either back where they came from or stuck here and not liking it. In order for anyone to be able to give you a better assessment please answer the questions of the first post if this thread.

Employment is challenging in Atlanta even for people with degrees. Lots of people moving but not enough jobs or even the infra-structure to absorb the influx.

Read all the posts.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlaneous View Post
I'm in Chicago now and heading to Atlanta for six months, maybe a year, maybe longer if things work out. I have no idea where to start. I hate cars an want to be near public trans. Found this apt. complex description:

A mere two miles from Downtown Atlanta, Glenwood East feels like something from another place and time. It offers a lifestyle unlike anything in the city. Quiet and relaxed. Highly walkable. (http://www.deepdiscountapartments.com/renter/detail?property_id=35&unit_id=23 - broken link)

Does anyone know what this place is really like? Live there?
Atlanta's public transportation is not good. Everyone drives here. It is not a walkable city either. They have projects to expand their public transportation (train, subway) but it has been publicized for years with no success. Jobs are scarce. Unless you have a job lined up or a company is transferring you here I would not move down here right now.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divineladydes View Post
I am a single parent of a 13 year old boy, I am a singer/songwriter, jewelry maker DESLA'S CREATION - SAY IT WITH ME and I am an actress. I am looking for a part time job, vending gigs, band gigs, a roommate and a nice simple 1 bedroom apartment some where close to my job and those career opportunities, and is animal friendly I have a cat. I am from Chicago and I have been performing out here for a long time, professional resume /head shot are available. I also have an after school program I started here in Chicago where I teach drama, and improv. a proposal is available. I also have a conventional professional resume on hand too upon request. My skills are customer service, waitress, cashier, and clerical. Being close to trains (hopefully 24 hrs) is VERY important, might be coming home late. Having access to shopping centers,banks, parks, events, urban culture in walking distance is another MUST. I have been to atlanta many times but not to the extent of exploring all the cities, my favorite place to go is lil 5 points (maybe that helps). I am ready for a change..I am going through a transition I enjoy the energy I feel when I in Atlanta. I feel like that is where I need to be. I could use some great ideas in order to make this trip smooth. My son gets out of school on June 2nd I have to be out of the place that im staying in by the 12th of June. I no i need some help on a great school for him before September, and would like to have a job before then as well. I am looking to meet some new positive people in Georgia that share the same interest, and have some openings available. I am a professional woman and I take pride in my craft. Mature and respectful Links, numbers, ideas are accepted. thank you
You have lots of things wrong with your 'picture'. No career or skill set. Atlanta is a hip-hop city and has a studio but not for amateurs. The market is saturated with people of the same skill set of yours, with no discretionary income to support themselves for long period of times with no jobs. Places close to trains are not ideal. Some are very expensive others are very low class. Walking distance to shopping centers,banks , parks and events and urban culture?? Not possible here. You would have to pay top $$$$ for anything of the sort. Atlanta is not a walkable city in general. What kind of energy you felt in Atlanta? If you have been to Atlanta before where is it that you saw a place to live that have ALL the items you mentioned? Now you want to have a great school for your son and you want to have a roommate?? No one who has a career in Atlanta as a single mother would share their home. Believe me there are a LOT of single mothers in Atlanta, I do not know of ONE willing to have rommates that is for College kids. I am sorry for my candor, but it is hard to take you seriously. I am afraid your demands are quite unrealistic for the economic reality we are in any metropolitan city of the country.

Good Luck.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 4,556 times
Default Help~

Hello, I am planning to relocate to the Atlanta area some time this summer (June or July) or sooner if possible. The areas that I am interested in residing are Ellenwood and College Park because I wanted to live close to the city (Atlanta). I am trying to gather as much information about the areas as possible and plan to visit the areas in May. However, I do not have a job lined up as of now but I do have experience in the administrative/clerical field. Without a local address or local phone number it seems impossible to find a job before moving. Also I am interest in home-base employment (because I am a single parent and want to spend as much quality time with my children as I can) but there are so many scams out there that this seems impossible as well. I am looking for information on the following:

1. Housing (rentals): I am looking for good quality affordable homes(under $1000 per month) for my family **good areas to live in College Park**
2. Good schools (preschools and elementary) Charter schools are a +
3. Any advice to job assistance (employment agencies, etc) or any information on where I could look for home-base employment opportunities.
4.Extra curricular activities that my children can participate in

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta