Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 04:52 PM

3 posts, read 14,562 times

Advertisements

Did you find a place to live in Atlanta? if so, where? I was wondering if you ended up anywhere near the Roswell area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 6,936 times
I'm planning to move to Georgia by June, I'm for Saudi Arabia, and I'm planning to buy a 4 bedroom house in Fulton County, or Roswell. My Budget is kinda limited between 80,000$ - 100,000$, I'm a retired teacher, but I'm planning to start a business as soon as I move there, I want something close to Atlanta because my daughter (21) is going to work there. I have one daughter (15) who's going to school, and my other 2 boys (19) & (17) are going to college. I want a peaceful neighborhood with grocery store near by.

What do you recommend?

Thanks
-Haunz

Old 01-30-2011, 10:11 AM

33 posts, read 91,712 times
South Gwinnett High School is very popular with local people around the Atlanta metro area and many of the people who come in with the technology concerns in Snellville send their children there. It is sort of a local secret. Several of the kids who finished there in 1999 to 2004 are now in competitive grad programs all over the nation. I would say it is on the par with Marietta schools BUT you have the advantage in south Gwinnett County of an easier commute and a larger population of people who are from the area so you do not have "musical chair neighbors" as is common in East Cobb County.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,943 times
I don't know where to begin. To start off, I'm 20 from New York. For months, I've been thinking about moving to Atlanta because it's far from home and public transit is cheaper. I plan on staying with family until I save up more money to find an apartment or share one. Can anyone please answer these questions:

1. What is the MARTA system like?
2. What is the best and worst grocery store(s)?
3. What neighborhoods should I avoid living in?
4. How hard is it to find a job as a CNA after I finish school?
5. What towns outside Atlanta (but within 50 miles) would you recommend to start a family in? (not now of course, but still want to have an idea)

For fun:
1. What is the best park to walk around or do a fun activity on a first date?
2. What places would you consider a tourist trap?
3. Are there any movie theaters that show foreign and indie films?
4. What is the best and worst mall to shop?

Thanks in advance and bless all.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:02 PM

5 posts, read 7,506 times
Default Relocating Info - Atlanta

Hi,

My family will be moving to Atlanta in a few months. I've been scanning all the posts but am hoping to get specific help. My head is starting to spin with all the "data" I'm finding. I need some testimonies of who is happy where. My priorities are good schools and a friendly commute for the husband. Here's my info:

1. Budget - 600k

2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Either

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - commute to 285/75 area

4. Children(public school vs. private) - public (We have a kid in HS, MS, and elem.)

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - Mix. Newer, sidewalk, planned community style. I like being able to walk the kids to school, library, etc. I would pick a townhome over a single family home if it meant being able to connect with a community easier. I also enjoy biking/hiking trails. (So shops and ability to exercise easily are important. Outdoor fitness enthusiast.)

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? The shorter the commute the better, but not willing to sacrifice the kids' education. He would deal with a long commute if he had to.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Young, old, black, white... no preference.

I have only been to Atlanta once. We drove around a couple of days to get a sense of the area. I liked a development in Milton near Crabapple/Broadwell. All 3 schools (Milton HS, Northwester MS, Crossing Elem) are within walking distance and next to each other... along with little shops surrounding the homes. My concern is not knowing the area well enough and not being able to resell our home when it would be time to move again. (4-5 yrs). Which areas have the best reselling stats? And I don't have a realistic idea of what the husband's commute would be.

Thanks ahead for any help/info. During my short stay last week in GA I found the people to be super friendly and funny. Well, except the Marietta Welcoming Center lady. She said that all of GA's traffic problems were due to Californians moving in... guess where I am from. Kind of ironic that she works at the Welcoming Center. I got more love from the cook at a Waffle House. He was awesome.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:32 PM

6 posts, read 12,447 times
Default hi

Just in case your interested, I am a PhD Science ed student with a room for rent near downtown decatur. $490 in rent could move you in and that a month plus utilities share. I am gone a lot but do have a very loving cat bella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess1976 View Post
Budget- b/t $500-$750
2. House/Condo/Townhome? apartment
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): commute
4. Children(public school vs. private): none
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: suburban or a mix of both
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? yes
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. mixed (white and black)

I am a single female moving to Atlanta so I prefer to be in a safe, but affordable area. I currently live in a 4 br home, but I do not want to start off buying in Atlanta until I become familiar with it. I will be teaching middle school math and I would love to be able to near the area where I will be teaching, if the school system is good. I will not find out what district will hire me until the beginning of March. I have 11 years of teaching alternative school students, so the school district really would not matter.

Old 02-03-2011, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 12,447 times
Default share?

Just in case your interested, I am a PhD Science ed student with a room for rent near downtown decatur. $490 in rent could move you in and that a month plus utilities share. I am gone a lot but do have a very loving cat bella. I work with middle and secondaryinstruction for GSU

Old 02-15-2011, 03:21 PM

4 posts, read 6,197 times
Default Need a rental -

Need some where to live at or around May15th. My husband will be moving out there in a few weeks but we'll be needing at least a 4 bedroom/2 bath house when I come out with the kids after school gets out at the End of May. Would love a basement and a fenced yard. Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks!!

1. Budget

$1500/mo

2. House/Condo/Townhome?
House

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
Husband will be working for Lockheed Martin in Marietta

4. Children(public school vs. private)
1.5yo, 4yo & 7yo - Public school preferred

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
Suburban

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
Mildly important

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.
Demographics? A good mix of everyone I guess. Anywhere the kids would be safe to play outside but I definitely do not want to be in a "white" neighborhood or a "black" neighborhood. I want my kids to grow up around everyone.

Last edited by SaraTrow; 02-15-2011 at 03:25 PM.. Reason: Forgot dates...

Old 02-17-2011, 09:51 AM

5 posts, read 16,069 times
I'm new to Citi-Data. Looking to relocate to ATL late this year or early 2012. I'll be on disability & my wife will be working, though has no job lined up as yet.
1. Budget - 700 to $1000 month
2. House/Condo/Townhome? looking to rent apt/townhome - 4/2 if possible
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - 5-10 miles
4. Children(public school vs. private) - none
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - easy access
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - mixed

Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,745 times
I'm relocating for work to Atlanta in June 2011 and I'm looking to buy (but will rent if that's what it comes to). I have some familiarity with Atlanta but it's been quite a while since I've spent any significant time there so I need some help on neighborhoods to consider. Following the sticky, here's some basics:

1. Budget: Buy ($100-$160k) Rent ($900-$1200)

2. House/Condo/Townhome? Any

3. Employment Status(commute/work from home): will be commuting to downtown (Sam Nunn Federal Center)

4. Children(public school vs. private): N/A

5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two: Prefer either a mix or urban, as a single female I'm not looking for suburbia but a safe neighborhood.

6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? This would be an added bonus but is not a deal breaker. I currently live in the Washington, DC area and love being able to walk to a Metro stop but know that may not be possible down there.

7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Professional, young (mix of 30's-40's would be nice but not overwhelming student areas)...did I mention safe? Not entirely sure I'd be looking to buy in a transitional area, but open to considering it.

8. Size: 2 bedroom/2 bath is minimum, would like at least 1000 sq ft. Not looking for purely street parking as that's usually a consideration here in DC., so some sort of driveway, lot, or garage is needed.

To give some idea of what I'm considering, I've been poking around the internet at properties in Midtown, Buckhead, and Morningside. I was just told about East Atlanta Village but not sure if that is still a little too transitional. I'm also trying to factor in my commute as I'm not looking somewhere that will entail heinous traffic and sitting in the car for an hour or so. Thanks in advance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta