Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2010, 08:41 AM

10 posts, read 28,792 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone. I have just accepted a job offer in Alpharetta and the pay is not real great, but hey it’s a job. My dilemma is should I move closer to my job? Below I have answered the questions you all have asked new comers follow in order to have some possible feedback...So here they are:

1.Budget- I am only able to afford a apartment for max of $625
2. House/Condo/Townhome- Apartment
3.Employment Status-Commute
4.Children- Two children in public school
5.Suburban or Urban Lifestyle-Mix of the two
6.Easy access to public transportation, important or not-important
7.Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood-open to suggestions. I am new to the area and would like to know what you all would suggest

I hope this information helps. I plan on working off of North Point Parway in Alpharetta if this helps out. Thanks for the feed back everyone.

Last edited by happygolucky29; 10-07-2010 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: too many errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 PM

131 posts, read 521,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygolucky29 View Post
Good morning everyone. I have just accepted a job offer in Alpharetta and the pay is not real great, but hey it’s a job. My dilemma is should I move closer to my job? Below I have answered the questions you all have asked new comers follow in order to have some possible feedback...So here they are:

1.Budget- I am only able to afford a apartment for max of $625
2. House/Condo/Townhome- Apartment
3.Employment Status-Commute
4.Children- Two children in public school
5.Suburban or Urban Lifestyle-Mix of the two
6.Easy access to public transportation, important or not-important
7.Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood-open to suggestions. I am new to the area and would like to know what you all would suggest

I hope this information helps. I plan on working off of North Point Parway in Alpharetta if this helps out. Thanks for the feed back everyone.
what kind of job is that?

Old 10-16-2010, 11:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,220 times
Was wanting to know the everything I need to know about moving to Atlanta, GA. EG: Housing need 3 or 4 bdroom home under 850, customer service jobs, schools for children under 13

Old 10-22-2010, 09:12 AM

5 posts, read 11,353 times
Will be moving soon, I haven't decided on an area still researching. I am looking for great schools(elementary & High),about a 20-40 mile drive into Atlanta and a diverse community. I Need a clue about surrounding Atlanta areas. i have heard good and bad about Douglasville, Conyers, Lawrencevill, and Marietta.
1. rent house or townhouse - budget $800-$1200
2. great public shcools elementary & high

Last edited by katleg; 10-22-2010 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: adding information

Old 11-01-2010, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,992 times
I am currently looking to move from California to Georgia within the next 6 months. I am a single mother of 1 (5year old daughter), I am a LVN with 4yrs experience. Could anyone recommend any cities that have low crime rate, good schools with after-school programs, good churches,and nice 2bd/2ba apartment? I want to start researching asap.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,932 times
Hi,
I am relocating to ATL from the Northeast. Have a new job - downtown ATL - MARTA 5 points - but I need help determining where to live.
1. Budget - under $1500 great - under $1150 even better
2. House/Condo/Townhome? house - 5 bedroom
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - both - i need to be able to comfortably commute in
4. Children(public school vs. private) - teenagers, toddler, infant - public
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? into the city
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. mixed

I have been looking at Gwinnett county as I've found they seem to have many good schools. However, Where would be the best option to live for commuting purposes...

thanks

Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 AM

23 posts, read 56,225 times
Hi My husband will be most likely taking a job in East Point south Fulton Medical Center( no idea how far that is from Atlanta!) we will be going down in Dec so any advice would be sooo helpful we are moving from a suburb outside Philly
Budget- houseing 300k?
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Like to rent a house first year
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)Commute no more than 30 minutes if possible.
4. Children(public school vs. private) public is fine we have a 4 and 5 year old.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- Mix of the two.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. We are use too upper middle class but basically a family friendly neighborhood

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...#ixzz14tvXHyKw

Old 11-22-2010, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,763 times
Hi, I grew up 5 miles west of the ATL airport, which is very close to East Point. It is just south of Atlanta City limits. I commute 30 min to the ATL airport from Coweta County, Newnan, GA area. Interstate 85 coming in from Southwest Atlanta is by far the best commute to East Point. Traffic is so good from our sector we barely make the news if at all. I fly for an airline out of ATL and I can tell you the vast majority of our crewmebers live in the Newnan / Peachtree City area. Both areas are upper middle class with the best school systems in the Atlanta area. We love the area but need to sell to downsize. We are sending our kids to a Private Christian school. Scores are great at the public but we received a scholarship paying 50% of our kids tuition at the private school. I am willing to make the sacrifice for a Christian education. We are selling our 1 yr old 2700 Sq. ft. home in North Coweta on a 1.6 acre lot full of hardwoods. It sits on a full basement with roughed in pluming and has Granite counter tops in kitchen and Master Bath. 3/4" Oak hard wood on the main level. 4 bd. rm. 3 bath and a finished bonus room over a 2 car garage. It is in the most desired school district of the county. Brooks Elm. Madris middle, and Northgate high. Brooks Elm. is only 1 mile from the house. Since I fly for a living we had a $1600 monitored alarm system put in. We had $5000 worth of upgades put in the house while having it built and spent $1000 on custom blinds. It is a beautiful craftsmam style home with a sodded yard. The neighborhood only has 28 homes and is very safe and friendly. This is suburban peaceful living at its best for a great price. We are asking 285K. Our taxes are 3K a yr and we are all electric with an average cost around 130 a month. If this is of interest to you at all email me at fishburnej@bellsouth.net and I will send pics and the GA MLS listing #

Thanks
Flynfish

Old 12-13-2010, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,568 times
Hi,

I currently live/work in Smyrna, but am looking to relocate somewhere a little more youthful. I have looked at some places in Midtown and Buckhead, but would like to hear what you all think.

1. Budget - around $900 a month
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - No real preference
3. Employment Status - No more than like a 20min commute if possible
4. Children - No kids
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - A mix of the two, but more toward the urban side
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - If I could take the Marta to the airport that would be great!
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. 20's - 30's with nightlife nearby.

I hope that wasn't too vague and thanks in advance!

Old 12-19-2010, 02:43 PM

983 posts, read 4,444,187 times
I ended up in Gwinnett County, Norcross (Peachtree Corners area) and I am very happy. I landed a job in Chamblee and my commute is less than 7 miles one way. This area is very nice, clean and well maintained. There is a very strong police presence. I am very close to Duluth, Roswell and Alpharetta. I am 20 mins to downtown Atlanta when I need to go into the city. I am very close to 285, 85, 141. Plenty of retail in this area, but not many chain restaurants but I go to Duluth or Alpharetta for that.

Can't speak on the schools but it seems like a very nice area so I am guessing good schools. I am two miles from The Forum shopping plaza which has stores like Belk, DSW Shoes, Black and White Store, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Jos A Banks. Really nice with the cobble stone streets, and upscale feel.

There are lots of apartments in this area and yes some bringing the crime element like most apartments. But the rents are reasonable. My two bdrm/two bath is $639. With W/D hookup, sunroom and fireplace. It's been pretty quiet and I have heard of a couple thefts. Like the t.v. in the gym was stolen and I saw a post on apt ratings of a break in and $2500 laptop stolen. But I live on 2nd floor so hopefully it will be okay. I have been out of town twice in 5 months with no incident so far. Hope this gives someone some insight and help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta