Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2010, 09:27 PM

292 posts, read 635,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
I ended up in Gwinnett County, Norcross (Peachtree Corners area) and I am very happy. I landed a job in Chamblee and my commute is less than 7 miles one way. This area is very nice, clean and well maintained. There is a very strong police presence. I am very close to Duluth, Roswell and Alpharetta. I am 20 mins to downtown Atlanta when I need to go into the city. I am very close to 285, 85, 141. Plenty of retail in this area, but not many chain restaurants but I go to Duluth or Alpharetta for that.

Can't speak on the schools but it seems like a very nice area so I am guessing good schools. I am two miles from The Forum shopping plaza which has stores like Belk, DSW Shoes, Black and White Store, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Jos A Banks. Really nice with the cobble stone streets, and upscale feel.
Good area. I live in Chamblee and work in Duluth. I pass The Forum on my way to work. I'm also very close to 285, 85, 400, 141, Perimeter and Lenox Malls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 PM

7 posts, read 23,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTampaBay View Post
Hi,

I currently live/work in Smyrna, but am looking to relocate somewhere a little more youthful. I have looked at some places in Midtown and Buckhead, but would like to hear what you all think.

1. Budget - around $900 a month
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - No real preference
3. Employment Status - No more than like a 20min commute if possible
4. Children - No kids
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - A mix of the two, but more toward the urban side
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - If I could take the Marta to the airport that would be great!
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. 20's - 30's with nightlife nearby.

I hope that wasn't too vague and thanks in advance!
The Buckhead/Midtown areas are nice and affluent with many young people,shopping,nightlife and overall more excitement and refinement than the suburbs but these things come with a hefty price tag.There are so many major apartment complexes that rent studio/one bedrooms for $900 per month but be careful and wary. Many are small and cheaply built and although they screen tenants to the dime, young and chic can equal loud parties and loose morals.And in this price range most apartments are, although in Buckhead/Midtown,on the less desirable throughfares and/or not up to date.If you want the fashionable places expect to pay at least $1,000 per month.

In conclusion, if you want city life as a young person, be willing to make compromises and you can find a niche but understand these luxuries( and they are luxuries) can be expensive and hard to acquire.But I say you're young anyway so go for it!

Old 12-29-2010, 02:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,646 times
Im a engaged 34 year old woman moving to the atlanta area my fiance is a long haul trucker looking to get off the road for good, i have no job but have oodles of experience working in customer service and collection call centers also i have no car (being close to public transportation is a must) ive been on the road with him all this time we are looking for an apartment maybe an extended stay motel or a roommate situation he will be paying for all my expenses until i find work (it will be just me for the time being) we can afford 400-500 a month right now also need to know about marta, im pretty clueless on that one...i want to get back into working in a call center and would really prefer to be living somewhere close to work...any advice???? also names of call centers in the atlanta area so i can check those out

Old 01-04-2011, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,577 times
Thumbs up heard the same thing

[quote=MissMiami03;12151186]I dealing with the same issues. I have been searching for months for good school districts for my kids and mostly got response on cobb county. But the better the schools in that area the more money and the more money is where your status stands on socializing in those areas. I am a single mom and looking for great school districts not just academically but extra curricular activities and also well diversed. And neighborhood with lots of kids and safe. I will be renting before buying to feel out the area first. Please anyone that can help with comparison of cobb county ( East Cobb)school and district and another competitive school and living please let me know. I am down to the wire and only have 2 weeks left to move. The only difference is i don't have family in atlanta[/
HELLO MISSMIAMI03, I researched the same thing for Cobb county, North ATL, was a better place to move, but yes I think the budget may be a little higher. I myself am looking To relocate as. A single parent in '10/'11 bit really ASAP! I am on the beauty industry, so I'm striving to hone all my skills and talents before coming so I can have a variety of career choices to choose from, I pray. Let keep In Touch, via city forum for now..if u like. Also that invite goes out to all the single mothers trying to relocate.......ps. no craziness please

Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,970 times
hello everyone, i plan to move to atlanta in june, i m single with no kids. I'm also a hair stylist /makeup artist. I want to move somewhere thats not to far from the city. If someone could help out that would be great = )

thanks, kenya

Old 01-06-2011, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurltotx View Post
i ended up in gwinnett county, norcross (peachtree corners area) and i am very happy. I landed a job in chamblee and my commute is less than 7 miles one way. This area is very nice, clean and well maintained. There is a very strong police presence. I am very close to duluth, roswell and alpharetta. I am 20 mins to downtown atlanta when i need to go into the city. I am very close to 285, 85, 141. Plenty of retail in this area, but not many chain restaurants but i go to duluth or alpharetta for that.

Can't speak on the schools but it seems like a very nice area so i am guessing good schools. I am two miles from the forum shopping plaza which has stores like belk, dsw shoes, black and white store, ann taylor, banana republic, old navy, jos a banks. Really nice with the cobble stone streets, and upscale feel.

There are lots of apartments in this area and yes some bringing the crime element like most apartments. But the rents are reasonable. My two bdrm/two bath is $639. With w/d hookup, sunroom and fireplace. It's been pretty quiet and i have heard of a couple thefts. Like the t.v. In the gym was stolen and i saw a post on apt ratings of a break in and $2500 laptop stolen. But i live on 2nd floor so hopefully it will be okay. I have been out of town twice in 5 months with no incident so far. Hope this gives someone some insight and help.
sounds great i need a nice place not to far from the city

Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 3,401 times
I AM 22 NO COLLEGE WANTING TO MOVE TO ATLANTA START FRESH AND START COLLEGE I LIVE IN BUFFALO AND KIND OF TIRED OF IT UNFORTUNATELY MY JOB IS SHUTTING DOWN JULY-OCT 2011
thinkin about moving there around fall
1. Budget 5000-6500
2. House/Condo/Townhome?Apartment
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) unemployed
4. Children(public school vs. private)0
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?car
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.collegeaffordable

Old 01-09-2011, 09:26 PM

55 posts, read 63,694 times
I am moving to Atlanta in the spring and plan to live with my cousin. I'm mostly interested in learning more about great places to party and listen to music!

Old 01-13-2011, 08:34 AM

13 posts, read 94,559 times
Default Transferring to Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Sticky?!?! If something similar is already posted...sorry.

Helpful Tip,
For all of those about to move or thinking about moving to the Atlanta metro area, in order for us to better assist you and for you to get more responses please provide us with as much of the following information as possible in your initial post please:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

These are just a few off the top of my head, feel free to add more.
We are moving to Atlanta this summer and of course looking for the same "generals" as everyone else. We will be in Atlanta in March to look at potential areas, so we'd like to narrow it down to five areas to look around. Right now at the top of our list is East Cobb, Timber Ridge Elementary and a middle/HS that feeds into Pope or Lassiter, not Walton. We are looking for other areas to look into also, so here's our criteria:
1. Our starting budget is $600k.
2. We are looking for a minimum 4-bdrm house.
3. I am a SATM and my husband will be commuting to downtown Atlanta. We know that we do not want to go further north/northwest than Roswell, Alpharetta, Marietta, Kennesaw, etc. to give you an idea on what his commute travel thoughts are. Waivering whether we want to go south to Peachtree or not. Our inquiries keep pulling us to the Sandy Springs, Buckhead, Dunwoody, Norcross areas.
4. We have three elementary-aged children right now in public school. We do not want to consider private school, esp. if we end up in East Cobb.
5. We are looking for a suburban community that is family-oriented and have active sports organizations.
6. Public transit is not important and neither is the airport.
7. Demographics of neighborhood...just looking for a nice, safe area to raise a family. Diversity would be great, however, we will take that hand-in-hand within the great areas we visit.

Any recommendations, suggestions would be great!

Old 01-14-2011, 01:18 PM

5 posts, read 7,587 times
Hello,
I just started investigating ATL for retirement (I plan to work, play and travel) - meaning my retirement is more about moving to a warmer climate and lower housing/living costs. I currently live in Westchester County, NY $$$$$ and work on a college campus.

1. Budget - $150K
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Condo probably - townhouse maybe 2 bed/2 bath
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) will work/volunteer or something
4. Children(public school vs. private) - none, but would like a college/university nearby
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - close to MARTA lite rail and with a walk score of 75+ see www.walkscore.com
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - I like a mixed neighborhood, all ages, races, religions and gay friendly.

I am saving my FF miles and my local regional airport HPN had direct flights to ATL - so the plan is when I get my next break to come have a look see. Since I feel Mass Transit is so important, I want to try and do the whole trip using Marta... is that crazy? I know there are hotels and condos close to some of the stations. Or should I rent a car too. I keep reading and dreaming. I feel into www.condos.com and spend my eveniing looking at real estate.

Thanks for listening.
LA in NY

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta