Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 09:49 AM

3 posts, read 6,759 times

Advertisements

I just recently moved out of Los Angeles and I'm temporarily in the Dallas area but have been considering moving to the Atlanta area. I've gotten mixed reviews from people about making Atlanta my "new" home . . .

I have one child (son) who is 9 almost 10 so it's very important to me to settle in an environment/neighborhood that is well rounded & safe for young families!

I'm interested in knowing what parts of Atlanta &/or surrounding areas offer the best:

- Public/Charter/Magnet Schools
- Has a Great Mix of Ethnicity
- Has Access to Modern Conveniences (nice shopping/grocery stores/restaurants)
- Kid Friendly Activities (parks & recreation/extra curricular activities)
- Nice but Reasonable Neighborhoods for Renting BUT also is Easy Access to the City (near freeways)

Also, I'd like to hear comments about about Atlanta's Large Gay Population and how very Strong it is . . . Let me makeit clear that I DON'T have a problem with the Gay community AT ALL but it seems that Atlanta's Gay community is very open and somewhat overt and having a young son that's of some concern to me, not that it exists but just the overtness of it. Would anyone care to comment on this and how or if it's had an impact?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 01:43 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,102,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazwin View Post
Also, I'd like to hear comments about about Atlanta's Large Gay Population and how very Strong it is . . . Let me makeit clear that I DON'T have a problem with the Gay community AT ALL but it seems that Atlanta's Gay community is very open and somewhat overt and having a young son that's of some concern to me, not that it exists but just the overtness of it. Would anyone care to comment on this and how or if it's had an impact?
I wouldn't know Atlanta had a large gay population if I hadn't read it here on City-Data. It isn't that overt, at least in my part of the metro.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 5,058 times
I'm moving to Atlanta from the UK in either May/June

I'm a single 24 year old . I have a bachelors degree in International relations. I don't have a job in ATL as yet. I want to beable to commute. Rent, around $500 - 600 per month. Would maybe like to get into a financial position.... I want to live in a mixed urban neighbourhood. An apartment complex with a pool is a must. 1br spacious apartment

Old 03-17-2011, 03:06 AM

48 posts, read 87,794 times
Quote:
Expressing concern for your son shows you DO have a problem with the gay community. Being in the same store or restaurant as a gay individual is the same in any city regardless of the population. What is it exactly that your son might see or hear that concerns you?

You can't tell me that in L.A. of all places your son has never seen a gay person in public whether he knew it or not. Atlanta will be a great place for your son to learn about diversity as people from all different backgrounds live there.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 8,960 times
I'm transferring to Atlanta next month. I recently found an apartment off Camp Creek at Sandtown Vista Apartments. I like that the apartment is close to my job, to the train station and shopping, but is it a safe area? It looks good to me, but I haven't lived there. Also is that area called the Sandtown Creek area? Thanks for your responses!!

Old 03-19-2011, 11:48 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,552,294 times
Quote:
I wonder if raising a child who is gay in a heterosexual environment would be an equal concern? I mean, you know how overt "they" can be. That is a joke, but you get the point.

Seriously, do you really think your child will become gay due to being raised in Atlanta? Shouldn't your concern be that your child is well balanced and happy in life? I think children pick up on their parent's concerns, which could be more harmful than any PRIDE parade.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:01 AM

1 posts, read 2,298 times
I am moving to marietta ga in june my job is in cumming ga how is the commute

Old 03-20-2011, 10:51 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,102,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston county View Post
I am moving to marietta ga in june my job is in cumming ga how is the commute
Assuming city center to city center, that commute is 33.8 miles each way according to Google Maps, and will involve going through half of the busiest stretch of the I-285 northern arc as well as dealing with 400 north of I-285.

My prediction: the commute will be painful even though in some parts it's a reverse commute.

Where in "Marietta" are you moving? Most locations in the top two-thirds of Cobb County have a Marietta address because Marietta is the county seat, and that can make a difference in terms of commute.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,513 times
I'm 21, and planning on moving myself and my two rabbits to Atlanta at the end of May. I have no family here, I know no one there, so I'm pretty much on my own. My budget is limited. Maybe $1500 if I'm lucky. $400 is going to the move there. I'm going to try and transfer to another store location so I don't have to find another job, but none of the five locations are directly in the Atlanta area. I would have to commute through the bus system, and I'm concerned that if I live in Atlanta that MARTA may only run in that area.

It's a bad idea, I'm sure, and I'm scared to do it, but I don't want to wait any more to make the move.

So, if my job is in Fayetteville or Duluth, would the bus system run out there?

What do you suggest I do in preparation, or what should I know about Atlanta before I make the move?

Has anyone done this before?

If I do have to find another job, are the unemployment rates there so bad that it will be nearly impossible? I work retail, I'm still developing skills, and I don't have a college degree and wont be going back to school until I'm a resident of Georgia. However, I have a good chance of transferring to another JoAnns, and my references are great.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 6,066 times
ATL is an awesome place to live. Great shopping, restaurants, very diverse it suits everyone's taste. Pricey place to live. I miss it alot!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta