Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 04:35 PM

608 posts, read 1,714,179 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is an odd city when it comes to issues of race. I was born in the South and have spent most of my life in the region (between TN, GA, and NC). I also spent two years in Baltimore and I've spent another year in Northern Virginia, as well (neither of which are "the South" in my view). I've never encountered the level of self-segregation in other places as I have in Atlanta. I didn't see it in Tennessee. I didn't see it in Raleigh. I didn't see it in Baltimore. I haven't seen it in DC or NoVa. But I saw it in ATL.

The author is correct to a degree that blacks in Atlanta are more likely to blame "the man" rather than trying to improve themselves --- but I also think whites in the Atlanta Metro (especially in the deep sururban areas) tend to be more racist than in other areas of the country. Neither of those are universally true; you see lots of highly successful blacks in ATL and you'll encounter some of the most tolerant people in the world there, as well, but when people first move into a new place, their perceptions are colored by what they see the most frequently.

The self-segregation issue hit me almost immediately when I first moved to ATL in '03. My sister had a friend in college who was black and from the southside of ATL (near College Park). When I went down to ATL to find an apartment, my sister went with me and we visited her friend and her friend's family. Her family was really excited to have us over because they had never had "white folks" over before. It seemed odd to me. I'm not going to say I didn't see a little bit of "self-segregation" in other places, but it was on a whole other level in ATL.

That wasn't the only other place I encountered it either. I love playing basketball. When I went to school in downtown ATL, I would go to the rec center at my school to play pick-up ball. 90% of the guys there were black and a majority of times, I'd be the only white guy there. I can't really explain this except to suggest that white people won't play basketball at most places in ATL either b/c (a) they think it's a "black man's game" or (b) they are afraid of blacks. Either way, it seems really stupid to me. The funny thing was that every time I played, I was always welcomed with open arms. I almost felt like I got favorable treatment b/c I was white. So why won't white guy's play basketball? It's almost like they are intimidated by black people and have weird stereotypes about them. But I never received anything but kindness and respect when I played.

Guess all I'm saying is that race is sorta a complicated issue in Atlanta. You have people who cling to dogged stereotypes ("blacks are all thugs", "white are out to get us", etc.) and then you have people who are trying their best (even going out of their way) to move past them. But you might have to explore things a bit deeper to see that --- and you'll probably discover it with time as you get to know people better. But as an outsider, maybe it takes a bit more time to get to that level.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:05 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,671,861 times
^^^There was a poster that always pulled the "Blacks are naturally (insert negative trait)" and would pull out some biased stat that would support his agenda. In Atlanta, you have a lot of the "old school" mentality around in the 40plus crowd (not all of course) and they either pass it on or keep fighting with one another. I have an uncle-in-law and he still full of nescience when it comes to race and his "keep it realness" is really "Blame the Caucasian brother" even when someone Black may be in the wrong or whatever. Sorry for getting off topic, but if a lot of Whites feel the way that this ex poster (and world's best Christian) felt then I can understand why the Blacks here haven't moved foward. Really, I wish that both sides could just start over and form new opinions of one another.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:18 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,750,249 times
Quote:
I also spent two years in Baltimore and I've spent another year in Northern Virginia, as well (neither of which are "the South" in my view). I've never encountered the level of self-segregation in other places as I have in Atlanta.
Baltimore is on the same level of Self segregation as ATL imho..Take it from someone who lived their for 17 years....

Anyhow, I love how folks act like blacks love to self segregate. If anything, its white who lead blacks to self segregate. I'll give a good example at church. We have black and white churches all under different groups from the head office. The white churches, as soon, as too many blacks appear, the white leave and head to another all white church which leads the mix church to turn from 50/50 to 100% in a few years. Rinse and repeat.

Independent Lens . CRIPS AND BLOODS: Made in America | PBS

I watched this yesterday morning, weird statistic, Children in South Central LA suffer from more PTSD then kids in Baghdad.

Most of the young men interviewed have no sense of hope at all. Nothing. Hell, they live 10 miles from the Pacific Ocean and most of them have never been to beach!

Folks love to say, every other racial group has overcame hurdles etc etc blah blah...who cares...Blacks have just roughly started getting their feet wet from the '70's onward to now. A whopping 39 years and folks expect stuff to just magical turn around for us. The net worth of most whites compared to blacks and hispanic is crazy (the median net worth of African-American households was $5,988 and $7,932 for Hispanics. The median net worth for African-American households is less than 10 percent of whites, who earn a median net worth of $88,651)

The generation poverty, the failing of the educational system, Prison turning from rehabilitation to incarnation and prisoner for profit and lifelong label of convicted felon...

HBCU's were formed when blacks weren't allowed to attend white colleges. They still serve a purpose today. Hell, their are majority white colleges in this country.

Quote:
Lastly, I think change needs to occur by successful AA leaders.
What change and better yet, which black person even listen to these leaders? I sure as hell don't...

The whole lil 5 point bubble...*sigh* I don't even know if I should even waste my time and reply to it...Did you even experience any other portion of the city of ATL? Seriously?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:33 PM

325 posts, read 983,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedatl View Post
south-to-west: I am from Brazil and came to the US 5 years ago. And I understand it is great to study history and know where you came from, but when does it come to the point where you don't blame the past for what some are experiencing today? My main issue comes when some AA's complain that they can't get a job because of people oppressing them or because they are black. I have literally heard this many times. Now I know some racism still exists, but we are in a different world. Its not perfect but if you work hard, good things can happen. When you sit and complain, nothing happens. That was my issue.

jeffreda30238: I have traveled to many places around the world and have had many encounters with black people. But my perception of black people from other areas has been different. This viewpoint is mainly targeted to many AA's in the city of Atlanta. Again, I have encounters with many AA who do not fit this description. But if we are talking a numbers game, it seems (although it may not be true) that the majority do fit the description.
Its unfortunate that bc you attempted to sound intelligent, you ended up making this ignorant statement. I'm all for people and their opinions, but when you begin to make generalizations, that is where you lose me. Im not talking about AA's all over the world, I'm talking about a different set of AA's in Atlanta...expose yourself to something different...you may shock yourself. I was just on another post (in Miami), and someone was trying to figure out why Cubans, Spaniards, Central Americans, were so racists against blacks....isn't that ironic?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:48 PM

22 posts, read 39,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
You're right, but why isn't he asking the same questions of black Brazilian society? Why hasn't he given us examples of race relations in Brazil? Why hasn't he offered comparisons between black and white Brazilians?
I do ask similar questions when I was in Brazil. But since this is an Atlanta forum, I asked about Atlanta's AA. I don't know...it made sense to me. Maybe I overlooked something.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpierpont View Post
Actually Korean people in Japan do worse that the the natives and there is a good deal of tension between them. I think you are trolling are not well educated enough to really come to an enlightened conclusions.
Yes Korean people have tension with Japanese. But Korean people also don't sit around complaining about it. Yes you can look back on it and learn from it (and still be bitter about it), but they don't let that define them or everything they do. AND YES I KNOW NOT ALL AA's DWELL ON IT 24/7 either. But it feels too many feel like they should have it easy because of the past. No one will give you anything in life. You have to work hard and earn it.

One of my good friends in Georgia is of Korean decent. His parents work 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, and most holidays. They work hard. They don't sit and complain about the Japanese.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:56 PM

16,736 posts, read 29,748,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
You're right, but why isn't he asking the same questions of black Brazilian society? Why hasn't he given us examples of race relations in Brazil? Why hasn't he offered comparisons between black and white Brazilians?
Because issues with black Brazilians is swept under the rug...

and really, white Brazilians (in general, overall) feel that blacks in Brazil are "in their/know their place."

Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 PM

And if you're wondering, I am young, and did come from a more privileged family in Brazil. But that doesn't mean I don't have the right to ask questions. I'm sure some of my comments are ignorant, stupid, whatever. So instead of just bashing me, maybe you should explain yourself so I take you more seriously and help me change my viewpoint. I have already changed my viewpoint on historical Black colleges because of members who actually commented on the issue.

But the other two observations are, in my mind, are simple observations/conclusion that most out-of-towners would make.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:02 PM

16,736 posts, read 29,748,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedatl View Post
Yes Korean people have tension with Japanese. But Korean people also don't sit around complaining about it. Yes you can look back on it and learn from it (and still be bitter about it), but they don't let that define them or everything they do. AND YES I KNOW NOT ALL AA's DWELL ON IT 24/7 either. But it feels too many feel like they should have it easy because of the past. No one will give you anything in life. You have to work hard and earn it.

One of my good friends in Georgia is of Korean decent. His parents work 10 hours a day, 7 days a week, and most holidays. They work hard. They don't sit and complain about the Japanese.
I hope he wouldn't...especially since he's living in Georgia and not Japan.

And expecting a minority group to do "over time" and "work crazily" is not a good thing...and is actually very patronizing and smells of soft bigotry.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:05 PM

989 posts, read 1,748,682 times
Only a racist, bigot, or incredibly ignorant person would expect a dissadvantage person to work harder in order to reach equality. If inequality exist it first and foremost requires the oppressor to acknowledge their oppression. Equality means equality, too work harder to reach equality means you are NOT equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta