Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 01:56 PM

22 posts, read 39,809 times

Advertisements

StPaulEastSider: Thanks for the thought that was put into the post. I really enjoyed reading your comments and references to scholarly work. One comment that you made, that AA must work 2-3 times harder vs a caucasian - I agree with this comment. But to get rid of that problem, shouldn't AA's work 2-3 times harder so they get to the top, so racial glass ceilings are no longer an issue?

For example, if you husband works extremely hard and get to a CEO level. Then he will have the power to make sure racial glass ceilings do not exist. Now I know its difficult to actually get to that level, and that even with hard work it may not become a reality. But if the vast majority of AA's went into it with that mentality, wouldn't they be better off? I mean personally, I'd rather work 2-3 times harder than sitting around complaining that I'm being treated differently.

Obviously this view is narrowly approach (situation wise) but my point is that there needs to be a different way of thinking about issues and how you attack them to implement change.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:56 PM

550 posts, read 1,644,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedatl View Post
And to anadyr21, I think I was quite naive to think students of historical Black colleges did not have much interaction with students of other races. I guess I watched "ATL" and "Stomp the Yard" too many times :S. It is good to know that non-AA are attending the schools and black people from all different countries attend as well since the cultures will be very different.
Here is a link to a 2008 AJC article you may find of interest....

Morehouse valedictorian stands out -- he's white
Joshua Packwood says college provided him a perspective he wouldn't have gotten elsewhere
(http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2008/05/11/morehouseman_0512.html - broken link)

+++++++

I also want to add, one of the reasons my husband and I are making plans to move our family to ATL is because we want our children to see and experience black-middle-class culture.

In Minnesota, middle class blacks are spread far and wide throughout the cities and suburbs. The predominately black neighborhoods in Minnesota are also neighborhoods steeped in the culture of generational poverty.

Sidenote: I do think the OP is sincere, that is why I took the time to write a detailed response to his questions.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,343,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
Sidenote: I do think the OP is sincere, that is why I took the time to write a detailed response to his questions.
That's doubtful. Being from Brazil, he should know about the impact of racism and the relegation of blacks to second-class citizenship.

BTW, his 3:56 post is completely patronizing.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:01 PM

south-to-west: I realize that the "numbers game" comment will anger AA's who do not fit the description. But reality is that by perception, if you walked downtown Atlanta, that is the conclusion most people would draw. Those AA's definitely give the hard working AA's a bad name.

Thats why I think it is necessary for AA leaders to set up and say this is unacceptable and find ways to turn it around (obviously it would take a long time). Because if say a white person were to go and say something, they would be labelled a racist.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:04 PM

Yes being from Brazil I do understand the impact of racism. But I choose not to make that an issue or define what I can become. I choose to work hard (more than others) so that I control my destiny. Yes I will have to overcome a lot, but that will not stop me.

I just think more people need to carry that mentality.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Quote:
south-to-west: I realize that the "numbers game" comment will anger AA's who do not fit the description. But reality is that by perception, if you walked downtown Atlanta, that is the conclusion most people would draw. Those AA's definitely give the hard working AA's a bad name.

Thats why I think it is necessary for AA leaders to set up and say this is unacceptable and find ways to turn it around (obviously it would take a long time). Because if say a white person were to go and say something, they would be labelled a racist.
Again, if you're from Brazil why do you know so little about the black experience in America?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Yes being from Brazil I do understand the impact of racism. But I choose not to make that an issue or define what I can become. I choose to work hard (more than others) so that I control my destiny. Yes I will have to overcome a lot, but that will not stop me.

I just think more people need to carry that mentality.
Well you just proved that you've been lying about being from Brazil. Thanks!

Old 05-15-2009, 02:07 PM

16,734 posts, read 29,742,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Well if you're from Brazil, then you should know the African American experience well. You should also be very familiar with the legacy of slavery and discrimination. Black Brazilians are basically in the same boat and actually are a lot worse off than black Americans. There is a rapidly growing and affluent black middle and upper class here in the US, while in Brazil most blacks are confined to favelas. There are also very few black faces in local, state, and federal government in Brazil.

See? It's that type of statement that angers a lot of people. You're making a gross generalization of an entire segment of society. Most blacks that I know (and I'm black, mind you) do not fit that description.

The fact that the OP is from Brazil...his viewpoint/post makes perfect sense.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:11 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,571,266 times
Quote:
Again, if you're from Brazil why do you know so little about the black experience in America?
My guess is -- and maybe I'm reaching here -- because he's from Brazil and not America.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:12 PM

16,734 posts, read 29,742,058 times
Quote:

Just to add...

Many people mistakenly believe that the "black experience" is discussed/acknowledged in Brazil...it is not.

If you truly know Brazilian society, you would understand that it is perfectly normal for a non-black (white) Brazilian to have the OP's viewpoint.

Brazil has its own deep racial problems/issues...and sadly, they are nowhere near being resolved...or acknowledged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta