Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:38 AM

3 posts, read 22,571 times

Advertisements

I am in need a change, like yesterday! I'm from Chicago but thinking about moving to Atlanta. I am into art galleries, comedy clubs, jazz clubs, wine tastings, and spoken word/poetry sets. I want to know what the cultured, educated, but not snobby 30ish African American social scene is truly like in Atlanta? I have been making a list of pro's and con's and I will admit the whole issue with Atlanta having a large amount of brothers on the "down low" is a huge con on my list. Cause that's a relationship problem I don't even wanna deal with! In Chicago, the men certainly have they're issues but that version of the term "down low" ain't really one of them...lol. That being said I'm just looking for a city that can start out providing the break from Chicago that I need but that could also turn out to be an adopted city that I may never leave....Since I'm also in film school Atlanta does look like its becoming "black hollywood" so that is a major pro on my list as far as intership opportunities go. Its between Houston or Atlanta, so help me out ya'll, why Atlanta what it truly like down there???

Old 02-24-2010, 07:43 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
Quote:
art galleries, comedy clubs, jazz clubs, wine tastings, and spoken word/poetry sets
You won't have a problem then....

Not too sure on the wine tasting besides Chateu Elan (probably places closer intown) but everything else you asked for, their are numerous places to go and enjoy them...

Old 04-28-2010, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 4,625 times
Remember it is the south and when people say slow you can take that to mean, traveling into the past...but sometimes that can be an advantage, people are friendly and it is a place you can build another life and adopt as your new home...good luck

Old 04-28-2010, 07:28 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,307,587 times
Good lord, AGAIN!?!?

Another black woman/interracial dating thread....Time to nip this one in the bud. Gaze upon these:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...etro-area.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...lanta-can.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...woman-atl.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...ck-men-ga.html

Old 04-28-2010, 08:08 PM

15 posts, read 74,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Good lord, AGAIN!?!?

Another black woman/interracial dating thread....Time to nip this one in the bud. Gaze upon these:

l
Am I missing something here? She didn't say a thing about interracial dating.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:12 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,018,095 times
For every gay/DL brother here you have another lesbian/DL sister so they balance out. For every gay/lesbian that moves here 20+ straight brothers/sisters move here. DL men/women are all over the globe. Atlanta has the largest professionals for AA. Great city to live in. Once the economy comes back around it will be even better here. I recommend you coming on down. Stats wise, NYC, LA, DC, Seattle, Dallas, San Fran, etc have more gays/lesbians than Atlanta

Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgeder Americans

The initials LGBT (also GLBT) is in use (since the 1990s) to refer collectively to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender people. The acronym is an adaptation of the initial LGB. In modern use, the acronym relates the diversity of the Gay culture.
According to the 2000 U.S. Census, one in nine couples is a same-sex couples. 22% of male partners and 34% of female partners report having children in the household. With 57% of Gay males living in national cities and 45% of Lesbian women living in national Suburbia. Spending power of gay Americans is expected to reach over $608 billion in 2007, representing a cumulative growth of 35%.

Here is a list of the top 10 US metropolitan areas with the highest GLB population in terms of numbers of total gay, lesbian and bisexual residents:
1. New York City - Northern New Jersey - Long Island, NY
2. Los Angeles – Long Beach, CA – Santa Ana, CA
3. Chicago–Naperville–Joliet, IL
4. San Francisco - Oakland - Fremont, CA
5. Boston - Cambridge, MA - Quincy, MA
6. Washington, DC
7. Dallas - Fort Worth - Arlington, TX
8. Miami - Miami Beach - Fort Lauderdale
9. Atlanta
- Marietta, GA - Sandy Springs, GA
10. Philadelphia - Camden, NJ - Wilmington, DE

LGBT Market - Markets (http://www.ethnicevents.com/markets/LGBT-American-Market - broken link)

Old 04-29-2010, 04:33 AM

23 posts, read 118,967 times
To be short, sweet and to the point... I'm originally from Gary, mixed, artist/author(3d graphical art and poetry), significant other is a fine dining chef and sommelier, in my 30's, educated, anything but snobbish. Atlanta is a surprisingly good fit for anyone from the Chicago area.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:35 AM

239 posts, read 922,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
original post removed
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. The OP listed several concerns/interests regarding a potential move:

1. comedy clubs
2. art galleries
3. jazz clubs
4. wine tastings
5. spoken word/poetry
6. 30ish AA social scene
7. "down-low" men
8. film industry internship opportunities

Out of all her concerns, you took one and labeled her entire post by it. I'm just saying...

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 04-30-2010 at 09:22 AM..

Old 04-29-2010, 07:44 AM

239 posts, read 922,582 times
To the OP - based on what you are looking for, I think Atlanta would be a great fit for you.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:13 PM

128 posts, read 215,117 times
Well, it might be true that Atlanta was ranked the *****est city in America, but honestly if youre not looking for that, then that should not be an issue with you. As far as Im concerned, anyone in America at any given time could be something thats not as its seems on the outside.

But some good advice prior to my move here from Florida A&M in 2007, visit the city. Get to know some people b/c Atlanta is a network haven. Its all about whom you know, and we're generally nice people if you present yourself in a likewise manner. Atlanta is great if you are on the progressive side of life and wanna make the most of yourself in an established metro that is still growing on the global level.

Besides.....like I may have said b4....Atl's airport kicks any other airport's *** anyday of the week lol. 4real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta