Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 PM

128 posts, read 215,259 times

Advertisements

Also, atlanta's entertainment scene is really the talk of the industry nowadays. You have many major Independent Urban music labels here. Atl is home the the largest Urban radio market in America (V103 and Hot107.9) Of course, you know alot of your favorite R&B and hip hop artists live, originate, or are in the process of relocating here.

And for good reason. Atlanta has some of the best suburbs in America. Its kinda more suburban than urban, in some ways, but even the worst parts of atlanta are much much better than some of the ghettos of Chitown and the NE. If u want a more suburban feel, Id check out Stone Mountain, Snellville, the Camp Creek are (Big boi from Outkast and TI live there. Nice. Mostly black upper middle class), Cobb, and some areas of Cherokee. Id avoid Caroll county, west atlanta (alot of racists....old georgia rednecks....smh), Clayton county (terrible murder rate)

If u want intown, mos def check out Virginia highlands, Druid Hills, La Vista Road.....I think East Atlanta or Buckhead would be a perfect fit for you. Its close to the MARTA train, and the skyline backdrop against east atl is a perfect setting for a chicagoan like urself. Also, Dont forget Collier Heights, where alot of black professionals live like former mayor Shirley Franklin, and pastor Creflo Dollar.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:38 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
*Yawn* Those topics you brought up have been beaten to death. I could have included 5 more links to threads on the downlow black men situation but for brevity sake I stuck to race and dating.

Maybe you can stand to indulge in this repetitive nonsense, and that's okay for you. My opinion is, once a person reads one(or 2,or 3, or 10) boring race-dating thread(s) a person has read them all.

Throw this one in the junk pile along with the rest...at least until next week, when another city-data newby creates yet ANOTHER race-related dating thread. Don't worry, I will include the link to this nonsensical thread with the next one to be created.

I hope for the day when some of my city-data brothas & sistas can evolve to the point where they can come up with something a little more salient to discuss. When that happens, I will be more than willing to drop the criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAT View Post
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. The OP listed several concerns/interests regarding a potential move:

1. comedy clubs
2. art galleries
3. jazz clubs
4. wine tastings
5. spoken word/poetry
6. 30ish AA social scene
7. "down-low" men
8. film industry internship opportunities

Out of all her concerns, you took one and labeled her entire post by it. I'm just saying...

Old 04-29-2010, 04:01 PM

239 posts, read 922,933 times
AcidSnake,

Whenever a person creates a thread about potentially moving to Atlanta, there will be some repetitive themes that arise. You could just as easily *yawn* at questions about schools, commutes, jobs, etc. If that frustrates you, what's the point of being on the forum? or at least why reply to the thread? With all due respect, you sound a bit jaded to me. Part of the forum experience is for people to share information that is "boring" to them with people that find it insightful/informative.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:23 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,880 times
Those are some fair questions.

Rather than answer those questions straightforwardly, I will ask this:

Why dating? Why not ask about investment opportunities? Why not ask about ways to get the best housing loans possible without being ripped off? We black folks have been ripped off very much by the sub-prime mortage crisis & by the racist predatory loan practices of banks like Wells Fargo. Why not talk about healthy eating habits? So many problems with diabetes, hypertension, weight issues exist in the black community.

That's my issue.

So I will apologize if I come off to you as jaded, but I will not shy away from broaching controversy, & the attempt to stir up debate, whether it be about the insane radical adherence to southern political conservatism or the unfortunately increasing vapidity of conversation in the black community. These situations as I have mentioned all too often fail to get to the root of the problems. I find that people in general do not question commonly-held stereotypes, cultural practices, the leadership who uphold those practices, & belief systems, even if those practices may interfere with & contradict their ability to truly enjoy living life.

You may not like it, and you probably do not like me questioning your worldview, but who does? The REAL question is(or should be), are you willing to rise to challenge and come at me with a stronger iron-clad argument? Or are you going to resort to the time-tested practice of cheap accusations of prejudice & bashing like so many others?

That's how I see it, take it or leave it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAT View Post
AcidSnake,

Whenever a person creates a thread about potentially moving to Atlanta, there will be some repetitive themes that arise. You could just as easily *yawn* at questions about schools, commutes, jobs, etc. If that frustrates you, what's the point of being on the forum? or at least why reply to the thread? With all due respect, you sound a bit jaded to me. Part of the forum experience is for people to share information that is "boring" to them with people that find it insightful/informative.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 04-29-2010 at 05:33 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 08:40 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzCaliAttorney View Post
Remember it is the south and when people say slow you can take that to mean, traveling into the past...but sometimes that can be an advantage, people are friendly and it is a place you can build another life and adopt as your new home...good luck

No it does not. It means that we could care less about whats hip in California, New York etc. We care more about real down to earth people and not what they have.

And if it takes something that is hip in California ten years to become hit in the south its not because we're living in the past, its because what you think is hip is not that important to us.

busta

Old 04-30-2010, 02:14 PM

142 posts, read 418,730 times
I'd choose ATL over Houston anyday.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:58 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazipoet23 View Post
I am in need
a change, like yesterday! I'm from Chicago but thinking about moving to Atlanta. I am into art galleries, comedy clubs, jazz clubs, wine tastings, and spoken word/poetry sets. I want to know what the cultured, educated, but not snobby 30ish African American social scene is truly like in Atlanta? I have been making a list of pro's and con's and I will admit the whole issue with Atlanta having a large amount of brothers on the "down low" is a huge con on my list. Cause that's a relationship problem I don't even wanna deal with! In Chicago, the men certainly have they're issues but that version of the term "down low" ain't really one of them...lol. That being said I'm just looking for a city that can start out providing the break from Chicago that I need but that could also turn out to be an adopted city that I may never leave....Since I'm also in film school Atlanta does look like its becoming "black hollywood" so that is a major pro on my list as far as intership opportunities go. Its between Houston or Atlanta, so help me out ya'll, why Atlanta what it truly like down there???
Black Hollywood but you dont like snobs?

Id like to read what the homer heroes have to say about this post.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Its those magazines and stupid reality shows man. Even Lisa Raye has one coming out.....Hey its a good thing from a certain point of view. The more black women the media can trick into moving to Atlanta, the more to do.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
Also, atlanta's entertainment scene is really the talk of the industry nowadays. You have many major Independent Urban music labels here. Atl is home the the largest Urban radio market in America (V103 and Hot107.9) Of course, you know alot of your favorite R&B and hip hop artists live, originate, or are in the process of relocating here.

And for good reason. Atlanta has some of the best suburbs in America. Its kinda more suburban than urban, in some ways, but even the worst parts of atlanta are much much better than some of the ghettos of Chitown and the NE. If u want a more suburban feel, Id check out Stone Mountain, Snellville, the Camp Creek are (Big boi from Outkast and TI live there. Nice. Mostly black upper middle class), Cobb, and some areas of Cherokee. Id avoid Caroll county, west atlanta (alot of racists....old georgia rednecks....smh), Clayton county (terrible murder rate)

If u want intown, mos def check out Virginia highlands, Druid Hills, La Vista Road.....I think East Atlanta or Buckhead would be a perfect fit for you. Its close to the MARTA train, and the skyline backdrop against east atl is a perfect setting for a chicagoan like urself. Also, Dont forget Collier Heights, where alot of black professionals live like former mayor Shirley Franklin, and pastor Creflo Dollar.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....Where rappers live is important?

Old 04-30-2010, 06:38 PM

311 posts, read 844,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha....Where rappers live is important?

well just to be devil's advocate: If you're working in the entertainment industry and live in NYC or LA...ATL has a thriving and diverse entertainment scene and a far lower cost of living which would be ideal for people wanting to work in that field...so yeah it could be important lol...the only place that could compare is Nashville and everyone knows it's almost 90% country there

btw since the OP said she wanted to be in film, and I don't know how many rappers I've seen become actors like Mos Def, Common, Ludacris, T.I, Queen Latifah, Will Smith, Diddy, etc etc and they all like to party, visit, or live in ATL or even shoot music videos....heck it might work in her favor in terms of networking opportunities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta