Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:59 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,431,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
The point is that like all races,you have divisions in class.Just like you said black colleges should be abolished,you did not put any thought in why "white"(some mainstream) colleges should exhist.YOU CANNOT EVEN SEE your own narrow way of thinking because it is the way of someone which the issue of race does not effect them negatively.
Are you saying because we are a minority it is our job to PROVE to you we are worthy?You may be sincere but even though you have well educated examples of blacks who are doing well as friends,you prefer to dwell on strangers who are not doing so well.

You say that you control your destiny and every one should have that mentality.Are you saying that racism does not exist?I say this because to control your own destiny has limits for everyone.Racism is the definition of the danger of a society which puts limits on SOME ofits citizens.It has POWER.That power CAN circumvent progress.Especially when a majority has had and HAS power over a segment over a select group?So why should less than 20 percent of the population not complain and just accept that behavior?

I suppose you cannot understand that what you are only observing and not experiencing is not real to you.Yet you are BENEFITING(perhaps unknowingly)from this irrarational behavior called racism .There fore you cannot
Afonega1,

Fall back soldier, you are going places he could never imagine...fall back!! (You are schooling him on a level he's not ready to understand). Great job though!!

Old 05-17-2009, 05:55 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,326,854 times
It's funny that Confused, as well as some of the more vocal folks who defended him, are all quiet now. I'm sure they'll say that they're exhausted or tired of the topic as an excuse, but the reality is that they know their logic is flawed.

On a side note, I'm guessing that Confused is none other than Scraper Enthusiast. If you want to know more about him, search for his posts.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:05 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,823,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Afonega1,

Fall back soldier, you are going places he could never imagine...fall back!! (You are schooling him on a level he's not ready to understand). Great job though!!
LOL!!I've said my peace, I'm now "at ease"

Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,823,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
It's funny that Confused, as well as some of the more vocal folks who defended him, are all quiet now. I'm sure they'll say that they're exhausted or tired of the topic as an excuse, but the reality is that they know their logic is flawed.

On a side note, I'm guessing that Confused is none other than Scraper Enthusiast. If you want to know more about him, search for his posts.
You had to spoil my dinner!!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:11 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,431,360 times
Quote:

I remember that character (him and elvez). Total....let me not say it....

Old 05-17-2009, 11:14 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,326,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I remember that character (him and elvez). Total....let me not say it....
LOL!!! May his screenname rest in peace...

Old 05-18-2009, 12:05 PM

22 posts, read 39,770 times
Quote:

South-to-west: I actually was quiet because I decided to take a step back, away from the topic and discussion to think about some of the comments made. I felt that for two days straight, I was trying to defend every word I said, and in turn, did not have much time to reflect on everything that was being said.

Now that I've thought about some of the different issues that have been raised, here are some of my comments:

(1) I conceding the fact that I did not fully understand the history behind Black colleges and their current policies. Historically speaking, I think they were necessary for AA's to get a college education. And I understand that these institutions now carry a far more deeper symbolism.

(2) The underlying reason for my OP was to see other people's opinion on stereotypes I have formed while in Atlanta. Although a lot of you recommend me broadening my horizon, or going to places outside of Five Points (which are all great ideas), I have come to the conclusion that I do not feel guilty for having these stereotypes. I have never acted with prejudice or on racism, nor will I in the future. But I will no longer feel guilty for having these stereotypes in my head. Eventually, I would like to get rid of these stereotypes, but I've come to the realization that a post on City Data will not suffice - it will come with my own personal experiences.

(3) Some of you criticized me for choosing to focus on AA's that I encounter at Five Points instead of the AA friends I claim to have. First off, yes I really do have AA friends. Second, I am not looking past my AA friends. But with two AA friends that I consider to be close and know very well, versus the 50 AA's I see at Five Points or at MARTA in general, you may understand why one has received more weight. And in these stereotypes, I am not saying all AA's are like this. My AA friends are some of the nicest friends I have. However, if I didn't know them, the stereotype would have definitely kicked it. But I do not let that stereotype I have in my head stop me from forming a relationship with them.

(4) Finally, I feel I was correct in not asking my AA's friends directly on some of the things I observe in Atlanta. If they were like any of you who have responded negatively on this post (namely the ones who try to insult me without saying anything with much substance), I would have lost some great friends. Although I want to thank those who responded with some actual content, the rest of you only prove that racism for the most part will continue on forever. Although in the public light many things will be done to combat racism, it will never fully be solved unless people are open to discuss the issues around racial stereotypes, prejudice, and racism, without getting so defensive about it.

For all of you wondering, I was 100% sincere in my OP. For those that don't believe it, you are entitled to your own opinion.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:26 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,921,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedatl View Post
Although I want to thank those who responded with some actual content, the rest of you only prove that racism for the most part will continue on forever. Although in the public light many things will be done to combat racism, it will never fully be solved unless people are open to discuss the issues around racial stereotypes, prejudice, and racism, without getting so defensive about it.

For all of you wondering, I was 100% sincere in my OP. For those that don't believe it, you are entitled to your own opinion.
Oh, and on THAT note, I think the thread has run it's course!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta