Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:15 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,808,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
I see people keep mentioning koreans. I think what east asians went through in ww2 is worse than what african americans today have to deal with. WHat i mean by this is the raping pillaging and slavery was in the generation of our grandparents and not the 1800s. Japan (im japanese) killed more people in modern history than the nazis and basically any other country on earth (the exceptions are the communists like mao and stalin who killed their own). Zainichi koreans (koreans living in japan) are a minority (but its like .5% so i dont think they can be compared to AA) but they are not the same as AA. AA in US have higher crime rates and tend to live poorer than the other races. Zainichi koreans are for the most part indistinguishable in japan from other japanese, and if you look up the statistics they average less income then japanese but its nothing compare to the white-AA gap.

Also most of the "hate" in japan toward koreans is toward the communist north koreans in japan. For some odd reason they left North Korea formed neighborhoods in japan, but they still support north korea for everything O_o.

Anyway korea had to suffer decades of japanese imperialism and then years of a massive civil war with communists where families were torn apart etc, and now it has one of the highest human development index in the world.

Now we also have east asians in USA. Most koreans japanese and chinese that came to america were of the extreme poor classes of their countries or mail order brides etc (today most are middle-upper class and barely any japanese move to US now). Even to this day east asians are like the only race in america even the media has no problem making fun of. You never see an east asian male doing something masculine, you always see the east asian female drooling over white guys. Throughout the history of east asians they were always put down and made fun of and had very little education since they all came poor from their countries (mostly during gold rush etc). The difference is most east asian parents forced their kids to ignore this all and do their best in school and made them do their best no matter what. And now east asains are very accomplished in the US even more then their white counterparts.

I think what the AA community needs is what helped the east asians. The parents have to instill how important it is to ignore all the crap going on and make them do their best no matter what. This is the only reason east asians made it.

I know a little about the Korean experience in Japan.Not much.Only what I have read and from the opinions of my current and past Korean student tenants in my home have told me.I also know that their are biracial children of the American service men that live their now and from the Korean war.They are not well received at all .Especially the ones that are mixed with black.Only when one has become famous like Hines Ward or Amerie do SOME people in Korea forget there prejudices.But those are of Korean ancestry not Korean citizens.My Korean friend tells me also that some(especially older)people are have bad feelings about Japanese people..

I do believe it is useless and divisive for anyone to insist that a group of people has had more hardships than the other.That said,I do not think you are familiar with the African American history as you might think.You like many people in this country think that the end was slavery.The 1800's was just the beginning.You are very mistaken.The problems today actually DO NOT stem from just slavery.In fact if you listen when some of those blacks who complain,most do not even mention slavery.they mention how some one followed them in a store,or would not rent an apartment to them.Yes some do complain too much as I agree.Some also make excuses.Because in the end,even though its harder(to be black in America),their is still opportunity.

It is a factAfter slavery was abolished,black made great strides quickly in the re-UNITED STATES.Many were able to get an education at colleges and university as more schools were created to car to blacks throughout the South.Blacks were now citizens and could viote as a result.As a result,wealth and power became somewhat attainable.In Mississippi,Louisiana,South Carolina,N.Carolina,Virginia, and Georgia some became Governors and Senators.

This change came too fast for many of the defeated white southerners.They were poorer as they lost their property(including slaves),and their control of their government.They were now no better off than their former slaves.

Something had to be done to put those blacks "back in their place".They began a series of campaigns designed to intimidate blacks from voting and enjoying their new found freedoms as new citizens.
The group of white men began to kidnap ,scare and kill men women and children by a type of violent torture called "Lynching".

Lynching went on throughout from the late1800s,but also well into the 1970's in some places.This was After the mobs were successful in scaring blacks from the voting booths,they were able to regain their power and institute laws that were meant to segregate and control blacks by a series of laws called Jim Crow.These laws banned everything from the use of public restrooms to not allowing groups of blacks to even congregate in large groups outside in public places.These things happened to my parents.My grandfather who was World War hero,was murder in his own house by a group of white men.They burned him alive.The all white jury gave the men an aquittal.This was in 1975.I was a small child.

The poverty rate in America is around 12percent(i think).For African American its just over 24 percent.Yet why do people assume that most blacks are poor and un educated.We are not.

Their has been a black upper class in Atlanta since the 1900s.They created their own clubs,schools,and neighborhoods .Many were professors at Morehose ,Spelman,and Atlanta University(now Clark-Atlanta).Auburn avenue was dubbed "Sweet Auburn" as it was the home of some of the countries wealthiest blacks.

This also leads to my other point.That the attitudes of SOME non African Americans affect the behaviors of some blacks in a negative way.If your boss is treating you differently because of his opinions and attitudes ,how does one over come without "complaining"?.As a matter of fact racism in America still exist.Obama's presidency just made the once hidden racist take off their hoods and show their true nature.

The majority of blacks do ignore it (racism)and go on about their business of raising their families, getting and education,and enjoying their lives.The very reason that people believe this is not to be true is actually not stereotyping ,but prejudice.This by people who otherwise could make changes by engagement of real knowledge from real people and not rehashing ignorant self described diatribes about "those people" they SEE in some public places.Blacks are mostly succeding in America by far more than they are failing.

Many years ago an article in Forbes said that the wealth of Black America by itself would rank 11th just behind the economy of Italy.This was written in the early nineties.This is not a sign of failing people whose mantra is not to suceed.

I am proud to be Black and American.For those who come to conclusions without getting all the "data",are no better than those in your face racist that claim they have a hold on superiority.

Ignorance exist in all races,but those with the power can make themselves appear to be righteous and indignant when they should not feel so.

Last edited by afonega1; 05-17-2009 at 01:26 AM..

Old 05-17-2009, 08:19 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,715,111 times
afonega1, wonderful post...

Old 05-17-2009, 08:35 AM

925 posts, read 2,608,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Clearly a troll.

BTW, historical black colleges exist because blacks weren't allowed to attend white universities. Also whites attend historical black colleges and some even get scholarships and grants for doing so.
Why is he a troll, in your opinion? He's been respectful, has not degraded anyone, and he's simply wanting imput. Your response seems typical of many people when it's a question asked about a topic that is politically incorrect.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:23 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,322,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Why is he a troll, in your opinion? He's been respectful, has not degraded anyone, and he's simply wanting imput. Your response seems typical of many people when it's a question asked about a topic that is politically incorrect.
It's not that he's being politically incorrect, it's that he's being a backhanded, passive-aggressive jerk. Come on, man! He's clearly taking common cliches of "the loud black guy", "the baggy clothes", "blaming the man", experiences at Five Points, etc and claiming that they're his own observations. He's even too cowardly to say where he's really from.

It's not about being or not being politically correct, it's being respectful and not being an a___hole.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:45 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,427,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
It's not that he's being politically incorrect, it's that he's being a backhanded, passive-aggressive jerk. Come on, man! He's clearly taking common cliches of "the loud black guy", "the baggy clothes", "blaming the man", experiences at Five Points, etc and claiming that they're his own observations. He's even too cowardly to say where he's really from.

It's not about being or not being politically correct, it's being respectful and not being an a___hole.
Well Done, again . I'm seeing the same things. He's just coming with stereotypes that were there way before his claimed "Observations".
He does sound like a "semi-civilized troll", to a certain extent.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:24 AM

305 posts, read 1,005,161 times
I do not believe he is being a jerk, I truely think he just dosnt know any better. We all need to realize that we live in a world were slavery did once exist, and if you are not AA american and never experience that part of prejudice than how can you judge someone elses healing. I have went on several interviews in the south and have well over 25 years experience in my field no the less I am told flat out I dont think I would ever hire a black person, or times I have been told I am not looking at your color, even though I cannot figure out if you are not looking at my color than why bring it up. With this being said, I have also experience my share of causcian youth, listening to Rap and R&B while wearing the pant below the buttocks, so none of us should sterotype, just like I have seen hispanics, and so forth. Now the question maybe it is more AA children then any other, but then again slavery was more effective in the race of AA also and it was more white slave owners than anything else, so my question is do this make all whites prejudice, No just the same apply do a few experience of AA make all AA this way common sense who prevail No.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:45 AM

133 posts, read 505,010 times
I wish the AA's in this thread would stop beating a dead horse. Some people won't ever "get it" for various reasons and a lot of times it's because they just don't want to "get it." They just like to sit back and point their friggin' fingers because it appears to make them feel better about themselves. Little do they realize that when you point your ONE finger at somebody (or in this case, a race of people) you have THREE of your own fingers pointing right back at YOU!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:21 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,427,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LahdeeDahdee View Post
I wish the AA's in this thread would stop beating a dead horse. Some people won't ever "get it" for various reasons and a lot of times it's because they just don't want to "get it." They just like to sit back and point their friggin' fingers because it appears to make them feel better about themselves. Little do they realize that when you point your ONE finger at somebody (or in this case, a race of people) you have THREE of your own fingers pointing right back at YOU!
I just loved everything you said. The last sentence too, (that was deep).

Old 05-17-2009, 12:55 PM

325 posts, read 980,099 times
You know what...I'm an AA female, and I have to agree with some of the post that true, this guy has some ignorance, but he has not been disrespectful or down right ridiculous. He has a genuine opinion, and nothin we say will sway that. He has already made up in his mind what he thinks and he is entitled to that....like the saying goes..."opinions are like a%$holes, everyone has one"....I think this was an excellent post, and although I do not agree with what he is saying, I can see where he may get his opinions from. I get tired of seeing our culture going down, but when you try to say something or make some kind of difference, no one wants to pay attention or support you in your efforts. I say this, leave the man to his own ignorance, bc ignorance is bliss....apparently.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:51 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,808,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedatl View Post
StPaulEastSider: Thanks for the thought that was put into the post. I really enjoyed reading your comments and references to scholarly work. One comment that you made, that AA must work 2-3 times harder vs a caucasian - I agree with this comment. But to get rid of that problem, shouldn't AA's work 2-3 times harder so they get to the top, so racial glass ceilings are no longer an issue?

For example, if you husband works extremely hard and get to a CEO level. Then he will have the power to make sure racial glass ceilings do not exist. Now I know its difficult to actually get to that level, and that even with hard work it may not become a reality. But if the vast majority of AA's went into it with that mentality, wouldn't they be better off? I mean personally, I'd rather work 2-3 times harder than sitting around complaining that I'm being treated differently.

Obviously this view is narrowly approach (situation wise) but my point is that there needs to be a different way of thinking about issues and how you attack them to implement change.
The point is that like all races,you have divisions in class.Just like you said black colleges should be abolished,you did not put any thought in why "white"(some mainstream) colleges should exhist.YOU CANNOT EVEN SEE your own narrow way of thinking because it is the way of someone which the issue of race does not effect them negatively.
Are you saying because we are a minority it is our job to PROVE to you we are worthy?You may be sincere but even though you have well educated examples of blacks who are doing well as friends,you prefer to dwell on strangers who are not doing so well.

You say that you control your destiny and every one should have that mentality.Are you saying that racism does not exist?I say this because to control your own destiny has limits for everyone.Racism is the definition of the danger of a society which puts limits on SOME ofits citizens.It has POWER.That power CAN circumvent progress.Especially when a majority has had and HAS power over a segment over a select group?So why should less than 20 percent of the population not complain and just accept that behavior?

I suppose you cannot understand that what you are only observing and not experiencing is not real to you.Yet you are BENEFITING(perhaps unknowingly)from this irrarational behavior called racism .There fore you cannot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta