Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 11:09 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,189,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
That's a good idea. We all do suck here.
That's one thing I like about Houston. People here don't get in your business. They are mostly respectful. There are a number of people in Atlanta who want to be jerks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 02:43 AM

4,770 posts, read 5,506,752 times
Dividing Georgia into two states.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:19 AM

15 posts, read 21,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Impact fees

Impact fees... uh hello?

((((((
+++
Impact fees

((((((
+++
Impact fees on commercial and industrial development would pay for it.
((((((
Picking them all is exactly what I did when I said Impact fees.

I don't trust that any 'fee' will be used to make this town better, at least for the majority of the people so just saying Impact fees is a moot point. We are talking about what said fee if implemented, should pay for.

I totally agree with the transit system. If Atlanta had a transit system worth ANYTHING besides busing people to a train station to take another bus the traffic would be MUCH less. You cannot survive for a minute in this town without a car and everyone wonders why there is so much traffic????

Taxis... where the heck are they? They're few and far between and they cost a fortune.

Education: Face it folks, even the BEST school in Atlanta is horrible. There is no real way to identify the private schools and the public schools are a joke. I spent all 12 years of my son in the Dekalb Public School system HOLLERING. Waste of time.

Parking mid and downtown: We're given a ridiculous transit system and then told to pay a ridiculous price to park downtown. Keeps people from going there...how's that working for you?

Don't get me started, I'll never end!

Old 06-06-2014, 10:26 AM

6,505 posts, read 6,179,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenRobin View Post
I don't trust that any 'fee' will be used to make this town better, at least for the majority of the people so just saying Impact fees is a moot point. We are talking about what said fee if implemented, should pay for.

I totally agree with the transit system. If Atlanta had a transit system worth ANYTHING besides busing people to a train station to take another bus the traffic would be MUCH less. You cannot survive for a minute in this town without a car and everyone wonders why there is so much traffic????

Taxis... where the heck are they? They're few and far between and they cost a fortune.

Education: Face it folks, even the BEST school in Atlanta is horrible. There is no real way to identify the private schools and the public schools are a joke. I spent all 12 years of my son in the Dekalb Public School system HOLLERING. Waste of time.

Parking mid and downtown: We're given a ridiculous transit system and then told to pay a ridiculous price to park downtown. Keeps people from going there...how's that working for you?

Don't get me started, I'll never end!
Quoted for posterity.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 25,066,258 times
A regional planning board that actually has power.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:27 AM

57 posts, read 75,383 times
An expanded subway/light rail system.

Old 06-06-2014, 02:47 PM

651 posts, read 1,571,415 times

If people stop texting and driving

Old 06-06-2014, 03:27 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,387,517 times
While most will probably name an increased subway as the biggest improvement Atlanta could make (and it does need that), I would probably vote for more cultural growth. I would love to see Atlanta get a truly GRAND art collection in town (bigger than the High), an "arts" district that facilitates art colonies and studios, and art projects. The urban vibrancy that those things help bring about would be a true boon to creative growth.

For those that said a new ring highway, I would go with that if it went around the edge of development, was a complete circle, was required for trucks, if road was not permitted to be used for development near it, and was a new 285 with present-day 285 demolished.

I think we need a whole new pattern of highway building in this country. Running freeways through central cities was not a good idea (I don't think), and using freeways as an excuse to build at every interchange was unfortunate. Cramming malls, restaurants, office complexes, and everything else RIGHT ON exit ramps and choking it down with traffic was a huge blunder. The freeways should be used to move from point A to B faster, not BECOME the destination. People should exit because that's the one they need, not because there's a Cracker Barrel at exit 41A. It's crazy to have stoplights at the top of exit ramps and on ramps because there's 14 gas stations and restaurants and people are buzzing like bees in and out. THAT is the real cause of much of the congestion problems. Having gas stations at given locations like plaza's along the way is a much better idea as far as I'm concerned. Office parks can be built off of arterial roads with access to the freeways, but having them directly on the off ramp is a bit extreme in my eyes. In short, the freeways have become the biggest vector of haphazard growth. This must change or our interchanges will always be jammed with backups.

Last edited by AtlantaIsHot; 06-06-2014 at 03:50 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 09:06 PM
bu2

24,358 posts, read 15,204,364 times
Better and more arterial roads (including things like left turn lanes).

It would help traffic flow better, cut down on cut through traffic making neighborhoods better and safer and reduce pollution from idling cars.

It would also make more density feasible. Atlanta is trying to create more density without having the infrastructure to support it.

Old 06-06-2014, 09:08 PM
bu2

24,358 posts, read 15,204,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
While most will probably name an increased subway as the biggest improvement Atlanta could make (and it does need that), I would probably vote for more cultural growth. I would love to see Atlanta get a truly GRAND art collection in town (bigger than the High), an "arts" district that facilitates art colonies and studios, and art projects. The urban vibrancy that those things help bring about would be a true boon to creative growth.

For those that said a new ring highway, I would go with that if it went around the edge of development, was a complete circle, was required for trucks, if road was not permitted to be used for development near it, and was a new 285 with present-day 285 demolished.

I think we need a whole new pattern of highway building in this country. Running freeways through central cities was not a good idea (I don't think), and using freeways as an excuse to build at every interchange was unfortunate. Cramming malls, restaurants, office complexes, and everything else RIGHT ON exit ramps and choking it down with traffic was a huge blunder. The freeways should be used to move from point A to B faster, not BECOME the destination. People should exit because that's the one they need, not because there's a Cracker Barrel at exit 41A. It's crazy to have stoplights at the top of exit ramps and on ramps because there's 14 gas stations and restaurants and people are buzzing like bees in and out. THAT is the real cause of much of the congestion problems. Having gas stations at given locations like plaza's along the way is a much better idea as far as I'm concerned. Office parks can be built off of arterial roads with access to the freeways, but having them directly on the off ramp is a bit extreme in my eyes. In short, the freeways have become the biggest vector of haphazard growth. This must change or our interchanges will always be jammed with backups.
You would love Texas.

They have access roads that really do make the freeways the destination, much more so than in Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta