Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 07:46 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,578,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
This is just for fun.

Let's say you can do any single thing. What one thing do you think would make Atlanta the best the fastest?

Rules:

It has to be something that could exist in reality. You can't just say "I'd give the city a budget of $100 trillion"

It doesn't have to be something you actually have the power to do. You can say "I'd make a population where 75% of the people have graduate degrees."

It doesn't have to be ethical. If you wan to get rid of all the homeless people, kill everyone who doesn't use a turn signal, or blow up Alpharetta, go ahead. But it has to be something that you really think would actually make the city better....don't just blow up Alpharetta because you personally don't like it.

So here we go. Come up with one single change that would have the quickest and most positive impact on the city of Atlanta.
for me personally it would either more Marta stations or Less Traffic On the expressways. Most important issues I haave living here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 08:41 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,052,797 times
Outside of putting a lake or ocean in the city for me it would be waking up tomorrow to a completed Beltline and freeway park. I can only imagine how dynamic it would make the city center and would add so much to a city that already has changed so much in the last 10, 20 years. Heck, in 2012 alone the core (especially Midtown) will change so much. Seems to be the year of new projects being launched, new highrises, new shops filling the empty retail spaces.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,111,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
An urban growth boundary. It's positively sickening to watch my beautiful native Georgia countryside be torn up so some unfortunate developer can carve out another vinyl-sided neighborhood that will be the hood in 10 years.
The metropolitan commission I linked to above limits the growth of its metro area by controlling sewer expansion within its jurisdiction. Since new septic systems are illegal in that state, the method works.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:54 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,246,616 times
Single most transformative project: A heavy rail MARTA line running on the west side of downtown. Rezone immediate surrounding areas to dense residential and or commercial depending on the area. Now you have a new string of dense development on the west side. Towers will eventually pop up and the areas between Northside and Peachtree will eventually become extremely dense.

It would end the relatively narrow 4-5 block strip of density that Atlanta is known for.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...20048,0.038581

Old 07-22-2012, 10:58 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,452,117 times
The total completion of the beltline project. I believe it will be the foundation of Atlanta's identity and destiny.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:05 PM

369 posts, read 657,923 times
95% of the suburban style development would stop in the suburban areas and counties and be transferred to the Atlanta city core in a mixed-use urban fashion with strong architecture.

Or Cobb and Gwinnett Counties joining MARTA to build heavy rail lines (especially Cobb).

Or Atlanta area top universities churning out transfer development rights at faster pace creating a technology hub from home grown companies on the level of silicon valley, with software and biotech etc emphasis. And Atlanta's biggest companies and government joining to put money in a pot to create a VC firm to invest in these home-grown companies.

Or
A huge educational training program for legal residents that are unskilled, low income and poor, that uses vocational learning in construction, automotive, bioscience, financial, starting your own business etc. A requirement for people on welfare etc. (not an Atlanta specific issue but could help the whole U.S.)

I would pick them all if I could.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:12 PM

840 posts, read 2,088,946 times
Allowing for all the justice agencies to consolidate into one agency.

There would be one police force (So there would be no jurisdiction problems)
One court system (This would probably be the hardest since courts do more than try cases)
One jail system
One 911 response center for the 5 county core
One fire department (Not really a problem since I've seen fire trucks putting out fires in other cities and counties)

Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,384,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yes--a comprehensive public transportation system.
Impact fees
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
A northern east to west interstate and a new outer perimeter.
Impact fees
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureATLien View Post
better public transit and highway options(and more jobs!)
Impact fees
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa1974 View Post
Jobs...my family lives down there and I want to move home. My family lives in Peachtree City and I'm currently in Manhattan NYC. They want me to quit my job and move down. I would never do that and the companies down there won't match my currently salary.
How is the job market now?
Wrong post. Start a new thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
More cops to crack down on crime and aggressive driving.
Impact fees
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
Well for me it would be better public transportation.
Impact fees
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
An urban growth boundary. It's positively sickening to watch my beautiful native Georgia countryside be torn up so some unfortunate developer can carve out another vinyl-sided neighborhood that will be the hood in 10 years.
Impact fees would put an end to the land grab and encourage more sustainable development and encourage more people to buy resales instead of live in a house for a few years then "throw it out".
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
That GA DOT generally spends its revenues evenly across the state -- that is why rural GA has so many empty, but newish and well maintained, highways. Pathetic.
Impact fees would pay for road improvements and expansion where they are needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
for me personally it would either more Marta stations or Less Traffic On the expressways. Most important issues I haave living here.
Impact fees would solve the problem on two levels. It would pay for infrastructure improvements brought on by development there by encouraging less people to buy homes in BFE whilst funding the improvements from the ones that do. That includes corporations, many of which discard their old warehouse or office then plow down a hundred or more acres to build a new one farther out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Outside of putting a lake or ocean in the city for me it would be waking up tomorrow to a completed Beltline and freeway park. I can only imagine how dynamic it would make the city center and would add so much to a city that already has changed so much in the last 10, 20 years. Heck, in 2012 alone the core (especially Midtown) will change so much. Seems to be the year of new projects being launched, new highrises, new shops filling the empty retail spaces.
Sounds like a job for impact fees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The metropolitan commission I linked to above limits the growth of its metro area by controlling sewer expansion within its jurisdiction. Since new septic systems are illegal in that state, the method works.
Impact fees.... The magical zoning board that never turns corrupt.
(((
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyset View Post
95% of the suburban style development would stop in the suburban areas and counties and be transferred to the Atlanta city core in a mixed-use urban fashion with strong architecture.
+++
Impact fees... uh hello?

((((((
Quote:
Or Cobb and Gwinnett Counties joining MARTA to build heavy rail lines (especially Cobb).
+++
Impact fees

((((((
Quote:
Or[/b] A huge educational training program for legal residents that are unskilled, low income and poor, that uses vocational learning in construction, automotive, bioscience, financial, starting your own business etc. A requirement for people on welfare etc. (not an Atlanta specific issue but could help the whole U.S.)
+++
Impact fees on commercial and industrial development would pay for it.
((((((
Quote:
I would pick them all if I could.
Picking them all is exactly what I did when I said Impact fees.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:35 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,897,234 times
Hire qualified people from top to bottom in positions of authority and power and you will see improvements in government, transportation, political movements, etc.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:48 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,143,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
The total completion of the beltline project. I believe it will be the foundation of Atlanta's identity and destiny.
Then we're screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta