Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 01:10 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,100,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Yeah you're right, I was so wrong. White people here in metro Atlanta dress just as good, no better than white people in DC, Boston, Miami or even Dallas. People in East Cobb and Alpharetta are on the cutting edge of fashion..
Once you reach a certain point in life, you realize that fashion just doesn't matter all that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 05:35 AM

969 posts, read 1,960,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
Yeah you're right, I was so wrong. White people here in metro Atlanta dress just as good, no better than white people in DC, Boston, Miami or even Dallas. People in East Cobb and Alpharetta are on the cutting edge of fashion..
Typically people in far flung suburbs of even DC, NY, Dallas, etc do not dress as well as people closer in, and it is no different here. I live in the city of Atlanta and spend most of my time intown and a little bit in Sandy Springs, and the khaki pants/boat shoe style is not the way majority of the people I see dress... have I seen it? Yes, mostly at frat bars in Buckhead which is to be expected, but it's definitely the minority overall. Their target market is not Alpharetta and I'm sure there are plenty of women in East Cobb who can support a few luxury stores...

Old 12-02-2011, 10:07 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,069,513 times
What is defined as dressing well? Dressing fashionably?

Well, that depends heavily on what is in fashion. Sometimes, by dressing conservatively, you are indeed dressing better than whatever stupid thing is in fashion.

Buckhead boys always wear vertical striped Tommy Hillfiger shirts untucked from their khaki pants with the sleeves rolled up. Okay, it's not that much of a great look, but they're still better dressed than the metrosexuals in their skin tight Ed Hardy t-shirts.

IMHO, the women in Atlanta tend to dress much more fashionably than the men. However, I think Atlantans are too smart to overpay at ridiculously priced boutiques when they know the same fashions can be found elsewhere for much less money. I don't think this city will support a "Rodeo Drive" because:

1) The economy isn't good enough
2) The population isn't dumb enough

Old 12-02-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

Well, that depends heavily on what is in fashion. Sometimes, by dressing conservatively, you are indeed dressing better than whatever stupid thing is in fashion.

Buckhead boys always wear vertical striped Tommy Hillfiger shirts untucked from their khaki pants with the sleeves rolled up. Okay, it's not that much of a great look, but they're still better dressed than the metrosexuals in their skin tight Ed Hardy t-shirts.

IMHO, the women in Atlanta tend to dress much more fashionably than the men. However, I think Atlantans are too smart to overpay at ridiculously priced boutiques when they know the same fashions can be found elsewhere for much less money. I don't think this city will support a "Rodeo Drive" because:

I just said the new developers are no longer going after the "Rodeo Drive of the South". It's in numerous articles recently posted about the development. The Rodeo Drive idea was Ben Carter's vision and he is no longer involved.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:48 AM

32,031 posts, read 36,823,708 times
Quote:
I don't think this city will support a "Rodeo Drive" because...
Everybody I know was scratching their head over that "Rodeo Drive of the South" hype from the get go. There's no market for that in Buckhead or elsewhere in the city.

Do marketing consultants get paid large dollars to come up with slogans like that? If so I'm in the wrong business.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,069,513 times
I understand the Streets of Buckhead vision has been updated.

What I mean to say is that the stores that are opening at Buckhead Atlanta are STILL too high end to be supported in Atlanta.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:31 PM

32,031 posts, read 36,823,708 times
The market will thin them out. Let the hifalutin crowd go to Charlotte or Dallas to satisfy their needs -- the ATL has always been a working class town and proud of it.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I understand the Streets of Buckhead vision has been updated.

What I mean to say is that the stores that are opening at Buckhead Atlanta are STILL too high end to be supported in Atlanta.
The only store right now that we know of is Hermes, and there is a market for that here... it used to be at Lenox Mall for a long time and has moved to a temporary space near the new development.

Everything you heard about from The Streets of Buckhead is no longer "for sure" happening other than Hermes.

Old 12-02-2011, 02:53 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,401,104 times
Quote:

I sorta think that sneakers, blue jeans and a sweat shirt are just fine for most occasions!

Old 12-02-2011, 04:02 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,407,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
The only store right now that we know of is Hermes, and there is a market for that here... it used to be at Lenox Mall for a long time and has moved to a temporary space near the new development.

Everything you heard about from The Streets of Buckhead is no longer "for sure" happening other than Hermes.
I called this "pie in the sky" dream from the beginning. It's obvious by how long this has drug out that it's going to be a bust for the most part. They might as well throw an old navy and a couple of thrift stores in that thing and call it a day. Hell half the stores in Lenox don't even sell that well.. i'd be willing to bet the highest grossing store in there is Apple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta