Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 01:40 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,109,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
First off Dunwood isn't Atlanta, it's Dunwoody. I can see how you going to another city saying that you're from Atlanta as no one will no know what Dunwoody is. But it's not Atlanta, it's Dunwoody, and that is a suburb. I saw an interview with Ryan Seacrest a few years ago, and when they asked him where he grew up he didn't say "I grew up in Atlanta", he said he grew up in Dunwoody.

And how is Adams Morgan glitzy and high profile? Up until 10-15 years ago it was basically the barrio in DC, with nothing but Central American immigrants with some East Africans here and there. And glitzy development? It's a bunch of 100-150 year old row houses, the way you're talking about it makes it sound like some brand new mixed use development. Are you sure you're talking about Adams Morgan in NW DC? Are you sure you actually lived in DC? And not connected to a rough area? Shaw is the next neighborhood over, and Susum Corda is a stones throw away also, and Shaw is nothing short of the hood and Sursum Corda are projects. We dont even have projects in Atlanta anymore, and if you say Shaw isn't the hood you're just flat out lying. And DC is much more dense than Atlanta, you can't exactly walk from Simpson Rd to Atlantic Station, but to walk from Shaw to Adams Morgan is just walking a few blocks west. Stick up kids run rampant throughout DC simply because the nice areas are right next to the bad ones. So not only are you commenting on West Atlanta (which you know nothing about), but you're commenting on DC (which you know nothing about) just to try and prove your point.
I grew up in Dunwoody and I live in Buckhead. You act like its Powder Springs or Lawrenceville. It's three exits up from Atlanta's city limits. Get over yourself.

I was talking about Atlantic Station being a glitzy new development, not Adams-Morgan. I'm not sure how you got that mixed up. My point was that Adams-Morgan is no shining beacon of newness and investment in a sea of blight the way Atlantic Station is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 01:45 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,109,439 times
I've been hearing some good things about Atlantic Station recently; apparently its made a complete turn around by shutting the nightlclurbs down and cracking down on loitering. I even know someone who just moved there. It's also attracting more intown-ish type businesses, such as Meehan's Pub and the offices of the state-run Creative Loafing. The Atlanta Business Chronicle has a story about it, but you can only read the first paragraph unless you're a subscriber:

Quote:
The new owners of Atlantic Station are bullish about an influx of activity the shopping, dining and entertainment venue has seen over the last year.

Since North American Properties-Atlanta Ltd. and CBRE Global Investors bought the giant development last New Year’s Eve and then set about to reposition it, about 80 percent of the area’s retailers are reporting double-digit increases in sales. One national apparel retailer in the center has seen year-over-year sales up 37 percent, and another is up 33 percent, according to Mark Toro, managing partner of North American Properties-Atlanta.

The new owners recognized that change was needed...
Atlantic Station remakes, repositions itself - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM

864 posts, read 1,124,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
Because the core value of hip-hop music and culture is social and physical aggression and dominance. It's astonishing that educated people would consider hip-hop to be positive.

This is a good example of the schizoid mentality of the hip-hop community. On the one hand, it's loaded with threats of physical violence, misogyny, etc. In other words, dominance is the highest virtue. On the other hand, "please stop making fun of me, you're hurting my feelings".

Yes, all hip hop is so violent and misogynistic, lol.

I bet you didn't know there was vegan rap.

I guess if you only go off movies and and radio laced with racial stereotype then you would only think that all rap is Waka Flocka Flame.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
EDIT: You might be able to argue that metal plays to "fantasy violence." Most of the violence described in heavy metal though macabre is fantasy violence that most people would never actually engage in (sacrificing people, eating people, going to Hell, and so on.) Hip hops brand of violence is much more realistic, just shooting someone with a gun. It's kind of like the difference between blowing ripping people's spines out in Mortal Kombat or shooting someone with a gun in Call of Duty. One may seem more gory, but the realistic one is actually probably more dangerous.

You don't listen to much metal do you?

@2:20

@1:44

That is pretty realistic violence, but since white kids do it it alright.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:56 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,067,750 times
Quote:
Well, the fact is, they DON'T do it. If you look at the numbers of white kids charged with firearm related crimes and compare it to the number of black youths charged with the same crimes, you will see who is actually doing it more.

I can't speak to why, I only threw out a few possibilities.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Well, the fact is, they DON'T do it. If you look at the numbers of white kids charged with firearm related crimes and compare it to the number of black youths charged with the same crimes, you will see who is actually doing it more.

I can't speak to why, I only threw out a few possibilities.
Eh, murder is murder regardless of how. Come on now.
So you just proved it wasn't the music. Thanks you .

Old 12-14-2011, 02:07 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,067,750 times
I never said it was the music. I don't think it is the music.

That's just the PERCEPTION.

I don't think it's music, movies, TV, or video games. Every person is responsible for his or her own actions.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:17 PM

16,711 posts, read 29,555,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post

This.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:21 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,025,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I've been hearing some good things about Atlantic Station recently; apparently its made a complete turn around by shutting the nightlclurbs down and cracking down on loitering. I even know someone who just moved there. It's also attracting more intown-ish type businesses, such as Meehan's Pub and the offices of the state-run Creative Loafing. The Atlanta Business Chronicle has a story about it, but you can only read the first paragraph unless you're a subscriber:

Atlantic Station remakes, repositions itself - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Wow. Nice. I wish they would hurry up with aerotropolis. Wish they has cleaned it up years ago but its better late than never

Old 12-14-2011, 03:07 PM

32,031 posts, read 36,818,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muxBuppie View Post
Exactly.

I'd say the demographics of crime tend to reflect the general population. For example, if you look at who's being arrested in Atlanta and Fulton, you'll get a high percentage of blacks.

Atlanta & Fulton County

You'll get a similar distribution with majority minority counties like Gwinnett and DeKalb.

DeKalb County

Gwinnett County

However, as you move to predominantly white counties such as Forsyth and Henry, you'll see a lot more whites being jailed.

Forsyth County

Henry County,

Yet you rarely hear about thugs in these latter counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta