Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 01:21 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeowner24 View Post
In all honesty I am not that mad they blocked my driveway (well I am still super pissed but you know) - its the fact my WIFE's car is stuck in there. SHE CANNOT GET OUT. They did not knock on the door to tell us to move. They came EARLY Friday morning and I had just left to go on a shoot. I did not pay all my fees and I should be punished - a lien on my house, etc. But this is cruel and unfair. LET HER OUT!
Sounds to me like they intended to block you in. They didn't succeed with your car only because you happened to leave very early that morning.

And hitting you with legal fees for being only 3 weeks late with a payment? That sounds outrageous.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:24 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,532,965 times
Subscribed!!!!!

Old 06-08-2011, 01:34 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,239,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Subscribed!!!!!
+1

if i lived anywhere near atlanta, i'd get a truck and chain and come move them for you brother.

this is insane.

Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM

426 posts, read 1,446,283 times
How about this guy? The Help Desk with Bill Liss | 11Alive.com | WXIA TV

Old 06-08-2011, 01:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabundo94 View Post
Geez - this thread caused my jaw to hit my desk. Amazing. I agree - this should be on the local news.

I know that some people like HOAs...but I'll never live within the jurisdiction of another HOA for as long as I live...to the extent that I have a choice.
Townhome HOAs own the external structure and property of the buildings in the HOA, so they tend to have a lot more power. More potential for abuse, IMO.

SFH HOAs aren't normally quite so powerful. *I* own my driveway, for example, and I know from reading the fairly short covenant document that any action like this on their part would result in a very strong legal response from me, and probably a swift victory.

You can't lump them all in the same pile. Some are good, some not so good, and you have to make sure which is which before signing the papers.

In the OP's case (inheritance), it's obviously not an optimal situation.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:49 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,404 times
There is no way in HELL I would be peaceful about this one.

Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 PM

59 posts, read 223,245 times
Hey all - THANKS for all the feedback. My attorney and I were going to give them till today to get back with me and remove these pillars to allow my wife to exit - they did not call. I am speaking now with 11Alive investigative reporter Sean Hoder. He was on a investigation when I texted him and asked me to email him the situation. I also understand I can do *5 to call channel 5 directly. I want to get a crew out TOMORROW morning if at all possible. If so I will let everyone know if that happens. If anyone knows of other media outlets I can also try please let me know. I would like to try one a day. First I hope Sean gets back with me. Then I going to try channel 5 then call Clark Howard.

I don't want to remove these pillars myself without doing all I can within the law.

To those think I am making this up - If anyone wants to know me they can pm me and I can send you my personal info.

I learned that their attorney is arguing that the HOA owns the driveway and can do whatever they want and that because I can walk to and out of my house I do indeed have egress and ingress.

I am taking ALL ideas. I AM GOING to PURSUE a civil case regardless.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Stuck in Garage by HOA-hoa.jpg  

Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,943,480 times
Good Luck!! The driveway may be theirs but how can they expect you to pay the outstanding fees if you can't go to work? I guess the driveways depend on the way the community is set up. I have lived in two townhomes including one in Atlanta when I was there and we were responsible for repairing any cracking of the driveways so I would assume in that case that I owned my driveway. But, our HOA's preferred the passive aggressive form of fighting for the money.

I would probably get in touch with Clark Howard now even though you are talking with the reporter guy. Clark Howard could get this on his CNN show and having national attention would be a PR nightmare for that neighborhood.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:11 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
I would put them on craigslist "free" and have someone take them off of your hands.
Haha, this is the best idea so far. "Free cement blocks, sitting in the driveway, free to anyone who can haul them away!"

You're taking this way better than I could. I know I'd be shooting myself in the foot in the long run, but the short term satisfaction of moving them in the middle of the night with a rented truck and leaving them in the HOA president's driveway would be too much to pass up!

Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 PM

59 posts, read 223,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Haha, this is the best idea so far. "Free cement blocks, sitting in the driveway, free to anyone who can haul them away!"
Yea - I actually think that is brilliant. I just want the media to SEE this. I WILL call Clark Howard tomorrow morning!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta