Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Indonesia 55 47.41%
Philippines 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:59 AM

72 posts, read 156,132 times

Advertisements

Terrorist attacks in Indonesia are still few and not so extreme. You can't equal it with Pakistan, Iraq and Chechnya.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:04 AM

72 posts, read 156,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Asia is diverse, but I think the stereotypical 'Asian' cultural traits include an Eastern religion, Hinduism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Shintoism, Jainism, Sikhism...Islam links Indonesia, Bangladesh and Pakistan with the Middle East, and the cultural influence is quite deep, extending to names, for instance. Many Indonesians have Arabic first names like Muhammed. Of course, Indonesia was once ruled by both Hindu and Buddhist kingdoms, influenced by India and Southeast Asia. Java was once ruled by Hindu/Buddhist kingdoms, and many old ruins and buildings can still be still. Bali is a remnant of the old Hindu influence.

Malaysia is somewhat similar to Indonesia is how Islamic it is, and most Muslim women there wear the hijab. Many men wear a distinctive cap as well. The call to prayer is often heard early in the mornings, and many shops are closed on Friday.

Indonesia is culturally diverse. Yes, many of the islands are majority Christian like Sulawesi.

I think the Philippines used to be more Muslim dominated. I don't know if Buddhism ever made much of an impact there. Now it's mostly practised by some of the ethnic Chinese there.
Most Indonesian Muslims are culturally Hindu.

Last edited by ilhamsingosari; 11-02-2013 at 02:15 AM..

Old 11-09-2013, 07:00 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,321,858 times
Indonesia seems to have lots of Dutch influence. Very Germanic

Philippines has very strong Spanish and Spanish based influences. Very Hispanic and Latino and Latin

Old 11-09-2013, 11:00 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
What is that sauce or paste with the blood sausage? I'm curious. Blood sausage is good. It's known as boudin in French and morcilla in Spanish
Mashed garlics and tumeric, but usually people don't really eat it with that paste. Hahaha i just don't like the mushy feeling and blood on my teeth, i like steak medium rare or lower but i just don't like blood saussage.

Quote:

Philippines has very strong Spanish and Spanish based influences. Very Hispanic and Latino and Latin
Quiet a large number of the food in Indonesia has been influenced by the Dutch, but overall its still as good as Indonesian, and actually we influenced the Dutch cuisine more than they did.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:54 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:

These people cannot seem to see it even though the Filipino foods that were influenced by Spain and Mexico have Spanish names and they are quite a lot. They still think our food is similar to Indonesia... Don't know why

My husband who is a Portuguese also thinks our food has very strong Spanish influence especially all our Stews with tomato Sauce and of course Spain's national food Paella.

Old 11-10-2013, 09:19 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,927 times
Im mostly interested in the food, so whichever country has the better cuisine would be my choice

I also like eating pork, so that might be less common in Indonesia? I heard they like roast pig in Bali

also the language barrier and my own personal safety would be important, no fun if nobody speaks english

Old 11-10-2013, 10:36 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
[/b]

These people cannot seem to see it even though the Filipino foods that were influenced by Spain and Mexico have Spanish names and they are quite a lot. They still think our food is similar to Indonesia... Don't know why

My husband who is a Portuguese also thinks our food has very strong Spanish influence especially all our Stews with tomato Sauce and of course Spain's national food Paella.
Hmmm i never thought of Filipino food being similar with Indonesian, ingredient wise etc, i must say its almost completely different.... Or perhaps its just a perception because we are neighbor? Some of the indigenous Filipinos food must be the reason that some people thought of it as similar, but even those are completely different. I am very certain those who mentioned it are people who never tasted either food and are ignorant or blind! now are there really this person if i may ask?

It must be confusing for them because even Chinese food in Philippines are even called by Spanish name!

What bears the need to bring Mexico issue here mam? are you not satisfied with people giving you agreeing answers about how "Filipinos generally only are Asian by look", you would have received by you keep posting the similarity people would generally find in Spanish culture?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Im mostly interested in the food, so whichever country has the better cuisine would be my choice

I also like eating pork, so that might be less common in Indonesia? I heard they like roast pig in Bali

also the language barrier and my own personal safety would be important, no fun if nobody speaks english
It wouldn't be fair for me to say which food is better, but personally i prefer Indonesian food by miles and Filipinos would definitely say their food better because their tongue is more used to it. Personally i would regard Indonesian food as some of the best, with all its rich mix of spices and ingredients throughout the archipelago. The varieties is also very vast as people living in each islands and usually belonged to another indigenous groups, have their own specialties. (Indonesian food tend to be spicy and rich)

I think Filipino food is not bad at all however i found it rather bland and not spiced enough, but some are quiet good especially the seafood, their food mostly have these elements which is vinegar, soy sauce and limes. But it is apparent (according to several research) that Filipino food doesn't suit many's tongue. (it might suit you though, who knows) What i like most in Filipino food is their sweets and i find their dish mixing very funny at times, like for example: hamburger is seasoned with soy sauce or breakfast menu with combination of (sausage, eggs and rice). I guest that's where east actually meet west :P

Pork is common in Bali, East Borneo, North Sumatera and Eastern Indonesia where Minority religion population are of significant numbers or dominant (pork are the main source of protein for Batak people in Sumatra for example), most Indonesian food in the Muslims area tend to be less porky especially in Sumatera (except North part). Pork is usually available in most of the cities and are sold in its supermarket in a stall side by side with Non-Halal food, there are some numbers of restaurant that do serve pork in Jakarta. (12% of the citizen in the city are Christians and another 2% is others which is large enough to make impact on the city) But the food is great even without pork.

As for the language barrier, well i can't help much with that since most Indonesian do not speak English language while Filipino does. Learning Indonesian is crucial to many expat who lived in this country (As in those who lived in Thailand, with exception those who are only making westerner only friends), but its not very hard to learn since the local would help you by a lot. In major urban areas like Jakarta or Surabaya, quiet a number of its populace do speak some sort of English and some are very good in it. In Bali i don't really think language would be a major problem apart from going to its countryside areas.

Last edited by Goshio22; 11-10-2013 at 11:32 AM..

Old 11-10-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
[/b]

I couldn't agree more. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) The heads of the grossly bias, ethnocentric, and ignorant folks in here should be falling off, as much as they're shaking them at anyone who does NOT advocate for their ridiculous notions. Lol!*¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unfortunately people like you and I accept and speak the truth.

Philippines has so much influence and extension from Mexico City and Madrid, Spain, and in addition helped to influence and had connections with places like Spanish Louisiana and Cuba and Mexico and Spain.

Phillipines is like an extension of Spain and Latin America embedded in archipelagos and lands that people and geograophers and topographers happen to just group with and categorize as being part of Asia and/or as Asian and Mongoloid.

Phillipines is a proud cooperating and thriving member of La Hispanidad and has a Royal Academy of Spanish Languages and Lingustics in conjunction with Spain to carry on and promote this rich Spanish and Hispanic/Latino legacy.

Unfortunately, self hatred and a pathetic ignormauses and outsiders don't want to accept the truth. So it's good that you know what's up.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post

Go to Philippines....... That would probably serve you better.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:58 PM

I want to eat both cuisines. As for Filipino food, it's so good. The cassava bibingka is so delicious. I suggest everyone try that and chicken adobo as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia