Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Indonesia 55 47.41%
Philippines 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
there should be some sort of alphabeth but surely sanskrit influenced it heavily, that's why its different from the original ones
do you still have copies of the original ones. I saw from the pic that I posted cuadro paleografico, there is 'Java Antiguo' writing and Borneo. I just don't know if that's still the writing that you still used or which part of Borneo. The Spaniards learn our letters and languages before they actually introduced the Spanish Language that's why they documented the Baybayin writing of ancient people found in the Philippines.

Baybayin is available in college level to those who wanted to learn the old writings.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:45 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
do you still have copies of the original ones. I saw from the pic that I posted cuadro paleografico, there is 'Java Antiguo' writing and Borneo. I just don't know if that's still the writing that you still used or which part of Borneo. The Spaniards learn our letters and languages before they actually introduced the Spanish Language that's why they documented the Baybayin writing of ancient people found in the Philippines.

Baybayin is available in college level to those who wanted to learn the old writings.
yup! there is, since some area is leftout from Hindu-Buddhist influence like this Iban (Dayak) writing

and this should help you to differentiate it, the ones with Bali, Kawi, Sunda and Java are definitely sanskrit... except Bali and Sunda "Kuna" are the original ones

Old 10-25-2013, 06:46 AM

6 posts, read 43,288 times
Cool pictures, both countries look beautiful and interesting. I definitely have to visit both countries soon. But the Philippines attracts me more, it doesn't seem like another typical Asian country..Very unique! (at least compared to other Asian countries I know).

Old 10-25-2013, 07:27 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citiboi9002 View Post
Cool pictures, both countries look beautiful and interesting. I definitely have to visit both countries soon. But the Philippines attracts me more, it doesn't seem like another typical Asian country..Very unique! (at least compared to other Asian countries I know).
Thank you

Actually, some people here say that Philippines is the least interesting country in Asia because Filipinos have the least interesting culture, but I think Philippines is unique because Philippines is the only predominantly Catholic country in Asia and it is the only hispanic country in Asia. It is a blend of the East and the West so I am actually glad that our culture and religion are different from the rest of Asia.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:33 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
Food huh? Indonesian is isles of spices... so the food is definitely far from being bland and usually are spicy.

Rendang (different from Malaysia we use actual shredded coconut, not coconut milk)

Padang style meal

satay

suckling pork

Soto

Rawon

Yellow Rice

Uduk rice

Gado Gado

a typical Nasi Campur (or mixed rice)

ikan bakar manokwari

Honey coated barbequed ribs
Look yummy !
I think Indonesian food is similar to Malaysian food

Old 10-25-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Look yummy !
I think Indonesian food is similar to Malaysian food
Yup, kinda similar... but not entirely because we have different ingredients used due to the availability of the spices itself, for example in Malaysia star anise is used more, but clove is much more popular in Indonesia.

Btw i like Chicken Abado

Old 10-26-2013, 05:20 AM

Indonesian style small cakes set:

Jajan Pasar (market's snack)

Kue Kukus

kue lumpur or mud cake (coconut filling)

Bika ambon (hardened sweet pudding made from coconut milk)

Butter cake (kue bolu)

Kue Putu (small coconut based snack)

Dutch Putu cake (kue putu Belanda)

Kue Lapis

Kue Lapis legit (legit layered cake)

Dadar Gulung (brown sugar filling)

Dodol (sweet toffee like gewy stuff usually made from rice flour, brown sugars and coconut milk)

Last edited by Goshio22; 10-26-2013 at 06:09 AM..

Old 10-26-2013, 07:58 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Indonesian food is greatly underrated, especially in say the US. It's one of my favourites. Malaysia often gets accolades for having the best food scene in Asia (by those in the know) but yes, many great dishes are shared between the two nations like beef rendang, satay, nasi goreng. It's a perfect blend of native, Indian and Chinese cuisines.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:33 AM

^ I love Indonesian food so much, though yes there are great varieties shared amongst the two, it is not that similar as many has thought that it would be. There are great dissapointment that i find in Malaysia when it comes to similar dishes, is that they always taste rather sweet than salty since the local Malays there apperently prefer anything that is very sweet, even the sambals are sweet and usually are not spicy enough.... in Indonesia we still use traditional methods when it comes to cooking (like how we munch the chilly to make sambal instead of Malaysian style blenders or the usage of shredded coconut instead of coconut milk), they're pretty similar only by look but the taste and blend and the mixture of spices just makes Indonesian dishes something special. In Malaysia i would say that i loved the Chinese food alot more than back home, but sometimes they taste almost the same. I would tell anyone that you are foolish if you miss Indonesian food just because you tasted the same thing in another country, and what saddened me the most is that Indonesian dishes are recognized as Malaysians instead by many acknowledging tourist. One another thing that makes Indonesian dishes unique is Dutch influence in terms of spice usage and ingredients used, like the babi kecap and satai babi, it's totally Dutch invention. Chinese also influenced Indonesian dishes to a certain extend but not as much as they did in Malaysia, you would find the Chinese influenced Indonesian cuisine more in the snack sectors. I guest that's what makes Indonesian food good, because its totally still are just plainly Indonesian but there's a little bit of this and that inside!

Beside to be compared with Malays food, Indonesia is too diverse and big.... Malaysia only benefits the influence of food from the region of Sumatra mainly such as Minang and the original Malays food, with a little bit of Javanese flavor that mainly are influenced by migration. There are even certain dishes of the Malays of Sumatra that are impossible to be found in Malaysia. Indonesian food consist more than the region of Java and Sumatra, like the Celebes that has strong spicy and nutmegs character, or Papuans with all their fresh ingredients and tribal traditions cooking method.... or even the small islands who had their own specialty dishes that comes from their tradition and way of life since thousands of years ago.

Tips: try Tahu Petis while being in Indonesia, its a fried tofu with a sweetish prawn paste inside

I dunno how Malay Singaporean food tasted like, are they more similar to Malaysia? whenever i go to Singapore i always skip it for Chinese, Indian and Arabs food (all amongst my favorite!), since Indian and Arab food is rather expensive back home.

Last edited by Goshio22; 10-26-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 AM

How to make Babi guling (Balinese suckling pork)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia