Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Indonesia 55 47.41%
Philippines 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 08:09 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Also Chinese. I think Sukarno was part Chinese, as was Marcos.
Sukarno, the first resident is not half Chinese he is of Javanese and Balinese descent, also believed to be descendant of looooong historical royalty from his Javanese noble father, the one you mentioned is probably Suharto. Suharto have Chinese grandmother if i wasnt mistaken, and always has been pro-Chinese despite all the anti-mandarin and communism thingy. It was all just bluff, and the reason why Chinese remain strong in the economic sector was Suharto.

Sukarno was comunist, and was desposed under cia conspiracy, that is why we have relationship with North Korea.

If you youtube Jakarta in the 60s you will notice typically communist era billboards all over Jakarta.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Pinai you are on holiday or you moved there ?
I'm here for vacation only but I am thinking to move here.

Old 02-03-2014, 04:21 AM

372 posts, read 1,006,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
No they dont, the half european lady there is Rianty Cartwright, half brits. Our media used to not have so many half caucassian, until recently, the community booms seriously in the late 70s. Rich Indonesians dont necesarily have ropean feature, but i notice quiet some arabs mixture in the rich community but not alot.

The Dutch mixture in indonesia is heavily harrased during independence war, half fled Indonesia and the other stays.

The chinese always happened to be the richest, some are poor too, but with recent economic explosion the native is getting very rich as well.
Rianty Cartwright, one "half" of the most i like because personality and she is very pretty! btw I was surprised to hear he converted to the Catholic, and i know she a devout Muslim .. I like to see she wear the hijab.
one male who is handsome Indo "halfies" is Ari Wibowo asal: ari wibowo many say he is a bit similiar Keanu Reeves .. hmmm ..i think so!

Old 02-04-2014, 05:01 AM

^Myanmar have mountain taller than that lmao :P

Old 02-04-2014, 05:43 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times
Wow they ski on Pucak Jaya? That's pretty awesome!

Yes Myanmar, although I don't think anyone skis in the peaks there.

Old 02-04-2014, 05:52 AM

too much pain for skiing though, and there is actually enough snow for a resort apperently lmao, they have been proposing hotels to be built there it since the crisis, if they did that should boost economy of Papua, why didn't Indonesia proceed with the plan, stupid!

Imagine if they build a gondola to get to the top and a helipad, that should attract people in the neighborhood for these!

Last edited by Goshio22; 02-04-2014 at 06:30 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
too much pain for skiing though, and there is actually enough snow for a resort apperently lmao, they have been proposing hotels to be built there it since the crisis, if they did that should boost economy of Papua, why didn't Indonesia proceed with the plan, stupid!

Imagine if they build a gondola to get to the top and a helipad, that should attract people in the neighborhood for these!
I fear global warming might spoil that long term, as the tropical glaciers/snow is getting smaller year by year. Same thing is happening on Mt Kilimanjaro.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:35 AM

Yeah that's one consideration too its better to go before its gone then , but also it just proved that my country did very little on investing into tourism industry on infrastructure wise, when it may helped to flourish another island infrastructure in Indonesia has been neglected for years and yeaars until 2009, they start seriously building up infrastructure. Roads, highways, ten or so new airports, new port buildings and now Jakarta MRT... seeing the concurrent situation the MRT would likely to start building up very soon and i hope it didn't stop like the monorail. Luckily now we have a good governor, which just might be worth to lay our trust on.

If things did go well in 2016 Jakarta's face would be drastically changed from the current one, which im really crossing my finger on, especially if this city gets attention on being more pedestrian friendly.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah that's one consideration too its better to go before its gone then , but also it just proved that my country did very little on investing into tourism industry on infrastructure wise, when it may helped to flourish another island infrastructure in Indonesia has been neglected for years and yeaars until 2009, they start seriously building up infrastructure. Roads, highways, ten or so new airports, new port buildings and now Jakarta MRT... seeing the concurrent situation the MRT would likely to start building up very soon and i hope it didn't stop like the monorail. Luckily now we have a good governor, which just might be worth to lay our trust on.

If things did go well in 2016 Jakarta's face would be drastically changed from the current one, which im really crossing my finger on, especially if this city gets attention on being more pedestrian friendly.
It seems corruption and mis-management has ruined much of South-East Asia. Who knows what Indonesia and the Philippines could have become if not for that? Then again, who (well China and India) would make cheap shoes for Nike etc?

Indonesia's tourism potential is definitely very untapped...there's no reason Jakarta or Manila could not have become another Bangkok, although hopefully without the sheer amount of sleaze. Plus Indonesia's natural environment still for the most part is superior to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia.etc.

Old 02-04-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It seems corruption and mis-management has ruined much of South-East Asia. Who knows what Indonesia and the Philippines could have become if not for that? Then again, who (well China and India) would make cheap shoes for Nike etc?

Indonesia's tourism potential is definitely very untapped...there's no reason Jakarta or Manila could not have become another Bangkok, although hopefully without the sheer amount of sleaze. Plus Indonesia's natural environment still for the most part is superior to Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia.etc.
Indonesia is unlucky country, it has been progressing and started as a very very poor country after the independence, a situation that Malaysia didn't ever have to face. After Indonesia declared their independence in 1945 the Dutch try to retake the colony, ripping the country apart and killed thousands and left the country almost ruined. After we did get our independence we were haunted by corruption, chaos, violence and mismanagement, especially during Suharto era, well its a large country and apperently very unstable one. But atleast if im trying to be positive, it progresses and is no longer the poorest country in SEA and its getting richer at some very interesting rate, but if only the corruption and law enforcement isn't that bad it could've been better than what it is right now and it really frustates me when it comes to corruption in this country.

Jakarta in particular experience population explotion, now the entire metro have 28 million people... that's much2 more than 20 years ago, and the city planning in Indonesia are just poor and mismanaged, things here are built out of necessity rather than planning, explaining why the skycrappers are mosly concentrated on the major avenues.

I am in particularly impressed with the Vietnamese on how fast their country progresses, 20 years ago they were completely ruined by war and look at them today!

Last edited by Goshio22; 02-04-2014 at 08:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia