Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2021, 09:53 AM

1,017 posts, read 639,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
Why can't variants be created, and why does that goal (preventing variants) trump everything else?
"Why can't they?" I don't understand this question. The virus is going to mutate and variants are going to be created no matter what. There will be new strains every year like the flu. The problem is particularly malicious strains like Delta that ravage the unvaccinated and potentially cause breakthrough infections for the vaccinated. We need to do whatever we can to lessen the chances of that happening. In other words... get vaccinated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2021, 10:15 AM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
"Why can't they?" I don't understand this question. The virus is going to mutate and variants are going to be created no matter what. There will be new strains every year like the flu. The problem is particularly malicious strains like Delta that ravage the unvaccinated and potentially cause breakthrough infections for the vaccinated.
What do you mean by "particularly malicious"?

Why did you use the word "ravage"?

Do you believe that the "Delta variant" would not exist if every eligible person had gotten the shot(s)?

Quote:
We need to do whatever we can to lessen the chances of that happening. In other words... get vaccinated.
Do you mean that literally? As in literally "whatever we can", no matter the opportunity cost?

Old 08-06-2021, 10:48 AM

Ah okay, you got me. I thought I was having a legit conversation for a moment. Go ahead and spring your word game trap so you can "win."

I don't live in your world of left/right, black/white, yes/no, us/them only. I'm all about improving chances and best practices. Sitting back and not wearing a mask and not taking a vaccine is just letting it burn.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:29 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,839,813 times
Quote:
I have never called you an idiot. Please don't make stuff up to play the victim.

I read your links and did my research. I have concluded that your fears have nothing to do with the vaccine I took and the ones offered in this country. Your concerns are invalid and you are spreading false information.
No fears here. Never worried about any of it. Caught Covid 19 in the very beginning well over a year ago because I didn't worry about it. I'm still not worried about it. Anyway, like I said, I don't have time to go search out links to satisfy you guys. You aren't going to listen to it anyway. I honestly don't care either way and I do NOT spread false information. The information I give hints to on here come directly from a credible source who works at a prominent lab involved in this very field. So yeah, he knows his stuff. If I didn't think something was credible, I would not post it.

Have a good weekend.

Old 08-06-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
No fears here. Never worried about any of it. Caught Covid 19 in the very beginning well over a year ago because I didn't worry about it. I'm still not worried about it. Anyway, like I said, I don't have time to go search out links to satisfy you guys. You aren't going to listen to it anyway. I honestly don't care either way and I do NOT spread false information. The information I give hints to on here come directly from a credible source who works at a prominent lab involved in this very field. So yeah, he knows his stuff. If I didn't think something was credible, I would not post it.

Have a good weekend.
I told you I read it. It has NOTHING to do with the 3 big vaccines offered here. That's why no one is talking about it. There's no media cover up and no big breakthrough to your "credible prominent lab guy" and his information. It's completely irrelevant.

Old 08-06-2021, 03:34 PM

13,619 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Ah okay, you got me. I thought I was having a legit conversation for a moment. Go ahead and spring your word game trap so you can "win."

I don't live in your world of left/right, black/white, yes/no, us/them only. I'm all about improving chances and best practices. Sitting back and not wearing a mask and not taking a vaccine is just letting it burn.
You miss my point completely.

Your idea of "improving chances and best practices" takes way too much for granted. You're not thinking critically.

That was my only point. You're the one using the black/white thinking. It's way more complicated than you think.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:03 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Public safety? What about the spread of coronavirus is not within the realm of public safety? Sports cars on Guam notwithstanding.
Example of public safety is sports stadium or concert. Meaning “All attendees must have a covid vaccine”. Personal liberty is forcing each and everyone to get the vaccine, regardless of what risk they pose, what risk they might posses medically, and regardless where they might reside/travel (arbitrary).

Preventing the spread of covid is public safety. Must wear a mask on airplanes…. Those that chose to fly know the “public safety” requirement.

Old 08-06-2021, 07:47 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
I told you I read it. It has NOTHING to do with the 3 big vaccines offered here. That's why no one is talking about it. There's no media cover up and no big breakthrough to your "credible prominent lab guy" and his information. It's completely irrelevant.
No kidding!

Old 08-06-2021, 07:49 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,386,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
Example of public safety is sports stadium or concert. Meaning “All attendees must have a covid vaccine”. Personal liberty is forcing each and everyone to get the vaccine, regardless of what risk they pose, what risk they might posses medically, and regardless where they might reside/travel (arbitrary).

Preventing the spread of covid is public safety. Must wear a mask on airplanes…. Those that chose to fly know the “public safety” requirement.
I'm sorry, but that makes really little sense. Why would sports stadiums be a matter of public safety but not requiring the vaccine? I'm just not tracking the logic here. Vaccines prevent the spread better than masks.

Old 08-06-2021, 08:15 PM

9,510 posts, read 9,087,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I'm sorry, but that makes really little sense. Why would sports stadiums be a matter of public safety but not requiring the vaccine? I'm just not tracking the logic here. Vaccines prevent the spread better than masks.
The example was whether to require vaccines at a sports stadium, if vaccinations are required to enter sports stadium that’s understood to be an example of public safety. That is acceptable to most because nobody is forced either way. Don’t vaccinate, don’t go to sports stadium. It’s a choice. The mandate is due to public safety,

If someone is forced to get one of the emergency approved vaccines as a mandate. Which is where Biden is headed, then that’s an infringement on personal liberty. If someone decides they don’t want the vaccine, and doesn’t care to go to sport stadium or other voluntary places, they should not be forced (legally) to get the vaccine.

Where will it end? How about prohibiting obesity? Obesity is the #1 comorbidity that is impacted by covid. Why aren’t we sending a treadmill to everyone’s house vs a monthly bonus to watch TV?

Best health decree today would be to ban all tobacco products and watch life expectancy rise. Benefit to public safety. Ban obesity. Change speed limit to 45 mph max due to public safety. The pursuit of ‘public safety” does not trump everything. And when public safety decisions are required, there needs to be tremendous rigor on why and a clearly defined end.

In case you’ve noticed, the goalposts on covid have wheels. Even within CDC, they don’t agree with themselves on their ever changing recommendations. Apparently banning evictions is a public safety issue too now, with the CDC’s edict.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama