Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 06:07 AM

2,725 posts, read 2,231,023 times

Advertisements

What is Alabama's problem with giving these? They are in the bottom four of the states giving the shots. I keep reading about this county and that county in other states setting up appointments for the shots, but nothing from Baldwin County. I am 69 and with Alabama I will be in tier 2 where other states are giving the shots to people over 65 in tier 1B (or C).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 06:31 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,913,547 times
Wondering the same thing! I have heard only a fraction of the front line health workers have received theirs. Ivey needs to find the source of our bottle neck and make some changes. Maybe she just needs to admit that her organization is just not capable and ask the Fed to take over, GEEZ!! Something needs to be done!

I just read, less than 20% of the vaccine allocated has been used! This could turn into a crisis due to incompetency in our state!

Last edited by GreggT; 01-06-2021 at 06:47 AM..

Old 01-06-2021, 07:04 AM

13,682 posts, read 7,996,829 times
Who even wants the thing? I couldn't care less how "efficiently" they distribute it.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:59 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,693,775 times
I’m in phase 1b, and so far I haven’t received it either.

Old 01-06-2021, 08:08 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,913,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Who even wants the thing? I couldn't care less how "efficiently" they distribute it.

Over 60% of those in the US do, your certainly within your rights to not take it and not care about others.

Old 01-06-2021, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 3,354 times
In Germany, the first batches of vaccine were received on December 26 (according to the news), and the vaccination itself began on 27 ... in fact, I'm not sure if this is true, none of my friends have yet to come across this personally. IMHO

Old 01-06-2021, 11:29 AM

2,725 posts, read 2,231,023 times
Alabama is still dropping the ball. In the link below NW Florida is giving locations to get the shots. Alabama has nothing shown as to where to get the shots.

https://www.wkrg.com/health/coronavi...id-19-vaccine/

Old 01-06-2021, 11:36 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,850,696 times
And why is this a surprise? lol It was well known and discussed how they would not be prepared to distribute or administer the vaccine to the population for the past 6 months. It should not be surprising. The true estimate of when the general population in large scale would actually receive the vaccine was around May to June. They will probably struggle to even make that. There will most likely be a significant portion(over 20%) of those wanting the vaccine who will not receive it until this summer. It is going to be a mess but fun to watch unfold with all the complaining and finger pointing.

I won't be getting it either. I was one of the lucky ones that caught Covid 19 early on back in the end of May last year and have had immunity the entire time since and have gotten to live a fairly normal life. I have been directly exposed at least 4 times since that I know of and one was just a week and a half ago. Who knows how many times I have been exposed in restaurants and other places such as hotels.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:34 PM

656 posts, read 594,569 times
From the Alabama Health Department website:

Alabama has had COVID-19 vaccine in our state since December 14, 2020. As of January 4, there have been 42,810 vaccine doses administered out of our initial allocation of 226,250 doses.

Alabama is in Phase 1a, consisting of 300,000 healthcare workers.

Some counties have been able to intermittently vaccinate persons age 75 years and older once the uptake of vaccine for Phase 1a has been satisfied for a daily clinic. ADPH will continue to work with community partners to vaccinate persons in Phase 1a and, as supply allows, persons 75 years and above.

Once persons in Phase 1a have been administered or offered the vaccine, Alabama will move into Phase 1b. ADPH does not have a timeline on this as ability to move to the next Phase is dependent on vaccine supply.

When Alabama moves to Phase 1b, ADPH will send notices to doctors, pharmacies, urgent cares, rural health clinics, and other providers so they can advise their patients. ADPH will also provide information through various outlets including social media, news releases, and other coverage. This notification will happen with subsequent phases as well.

So over the past three weeks of reported results they have vaccinated 19% of the people designated to get it early. This includes spanning what is typically a significant holiday time. The following provides a breakout of the designations/phases.
https://www.alabamapublichealth.gov/...ation-plan.pdf
Reportedly we (state of Alabama) don't have enough vaccines for our healthcare providers (226,250 vice 300,000) let alone those categorized as high risk or those who believe they are special. So unless you are a healthcare provider it looks like you'll need to sit back and wait your turn. I looked for a listing of vaccination sites but was not successful.

The site goes on to state:
The vaccine will be free to all Americans. ADPH has no specific timetable about when members of the general public can be vaccinated. As the supply of vaccine remains limited, ADPH continues to urge the public to practice the measures needed to help reduce the transmission of COVID-19. Alabama residents should continue to exercise caution by minimizing travel and avoiding gatherings of people beyond their immediate household.

Good luck. Stay safe.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:39 PM

13,034 posts, read 9,578,087 times
On the weekly Covid press conference in Huntsville today, the CEO of Crestwood Hospital addressed that issue (according to my wife; I did not see the meeting today). She said that beause of possible side effects, they only give the shot to 10% of the front line health care workers at a time. So if there are 20 nurses, for instance, only 2 of them could be vaccinated in each round. So it'll take 10 rounds (and not sure what the time is between rounds [my term]), which could take a while, and is.

I'd sure like to see the speed things up. I'm 73, so don't meet the 75 criterion, but I do have some other health issues (heart, for example), but I have no idea when I'll be in line for the injection. In the meantime, I continue to be super careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama