Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 01:43 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
As stated in paragraph one, we are in total agreement. Unfortunately, there is not going to be a strong new generation of black archeologists and scientists interested in the real origins of the African American people if the afro-centrists win, and they are in the fight. The mis-education is talking place, even in universities, that African America ancestry lies in the Nile rather than the Niger. Those who cling to these myths will have no chance of succeeding in greater mainstream academia outside of black studies classes.

It is very sad.
OH there's going to be a strong generation of Black archaeologists and scientists and if it makes you sad or mad, we have nothing to do with that. Our ancestry lies where my elders say it lies, not where you say it lies. If you want us to cling to myths taught to us in grade school, deal with the fact that we are no longer accepting them.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:45 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
1. I know what Kemet meant and I know it broke down to Black land and I realize that wasn't the actual name. I know they didn't call their land Egypt either. I could have use Tamerry or Tamare (which I should have anyway).

2. There are many Black Egyptians mostly in Upper Egypt and they've always been there. For millennia.
3. You just proved what the man in the video said.
1) Then why use the term incorrectly?

2) Yes, there are and always have been black Egyptians. They are not the majority. Egypt today is not a "black" country, it is a country with some black people in it. Since it is unanimous that the moderns are very close to the ancients, this was always the case. Here is Keita, cited so often by Afro-centrists, admitting that ancient and modern diversity is similar:

Shomarka Omar Keita: What Genetics Can Tell Us (EGYPT) - YouTube

3) I have proven what I have intended to prove.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:50 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
As stated in paragraph one, we are in total agreement. Unfortunately, there is not going to be a strong new generation of black archeologists and scientists interested in the real origins of the African American people if the afro-centrists win, and they are in the fight. The mis-education is talking place, even in universities, that African America ancestry lies in the Nile rather than the Niger. Those who cling to these myths will have no chance of succeeding in greater mainstream academia outside of black studies classes.

It is very sad.
I've never heard this before, ever.....Sorry, but you still haven't necessarily separated Afrocentrics from the general African American population, as a whole. This is what I was talking about in terms of making the distinction first, then moving forward.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
1) Then why use the term incorrectly?

2) Yes, there are and always have been black Egyptians. They are not the majority. Egypt today is not a "black" country, it is a country with some black people in it. Since it is unanimous that the moderns are very close to the ancients, this was always the case. Here is Keita, cited so often by Afro-centrists, admitting that ancient and modern diversity is similar:

Shomarka Omar Keita: What Genetics Can Tell Us (EGYPT) - YouTube

3) I have proven what I have intended to prove.
African Americans shouldn't look at the accomplishments of other Black Africans, even if they don't directly descend from them, in a positive light? Is that what you are saying?

Old 12-30-2013, 01:54 PM

I am just going to agree to disagree with you regarding Ancient Egypt as I am not going to go back and forth with you about it and I most definitely could.

But the fact is, unless you call people such as Chiekh Anta Diop as an Afro-centric who proved his case and had European and American scientists finally agree with him about the people of Ancient Egypt, understand that we are not only proud of West Africa, but all of Africa. Hardly anybody teaches that we are descendants of Egyptians.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
African Americans shouldn't look at the accomplishments of other Black Africans, even if they don't directly descend from them, in a positive light? Is that what you are saying?
That's what I'm getting. So Black American shouldn't be happy about the accomplishment of Ethiopians? Somalians? South Africans? Central Africans? North Africans? Amazing.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:58 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Quote:
OH there's going to be a strong generation of Black archaeologists and scientists and if it makes you sad or mad, we have nothing to do with that. Our ancestry lies where my elders say it lies, not where you say it lies. If you want us to cling to myths taught to us in grade school, deal with the fact that we are no longer accepting them.
It makes me sad and mad that it is not going to happen if the afro-centrists win. Our African American children will not be equipped for this future that we both hope for them.

Have to take off now. Will be back later to pick this up. We are now four pages into this, and I have gotten all of the standard replies- straw men, non-sequitars, accusations, repetition of myth, etc.

Has one person come out and acknowledged the completely uncontroversial idea that indeed, Afro-centrists are putting out anti-historical poison?

This is a kind of sad illustration of what I am talking about.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:58 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
The point of the thread is not hard to understand. Let me state it again: my question is, why is it that "Afrocentrists," who are largely comprised of African Americans, are obsessed with Egypt?

You can see this by attending any black studies class in the nation, or just by a simple google search. There is no way to de-construct this away.
If Afrocentrists are obsessed with anything, it's African civilizations. If Egypt was not in Africa than Afrocentists probably would not care that much about it or embrace it as being part of Pan-African culture. Afrocentrist in general talk about civilizations in all parts of Africa, not just North Africa. Since many Afrocentrist are Pan-Africanist, they do not discriminate or favor one region of Africa over another.

What I've noticed overtime is that many Eurocentrists don't care when Afrocentrics embrace or talk about other African cultures in different parts of the continent(that are not West African) but when Afrocentist focus their attention on Egypt, Eurocentrists seem to get so bent out of shape about it. It's like they can't stand the sight of Afrocentrists having any kind of association with Egypt. I feel that many Eurocentrist(though they would never admit it) feel threatened by the Pan-African viewpoint. It's like they feel some sort of entitlement when it comes to how Afrocentrists should view their own continent. What's funny is that African Americans don't care when White Americans talk about or embrace Greek and Roman cilvilizations as being part of their European culture but when African Americans/Afrocentrists talk about Egypt as being part of African culture than they want to start saying things like "How dare you say that" or "The Ancient Egyptians were White" as if those relatively recent Eurocentric concepts hold any merit to ancient African history and culture.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 12-30-2013 at 02:28 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 02:11 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
...understand that we are not only proud of West Africa, but all of Africa. Hardly anybody teaches that we are descendants of Egyptians.
I hope the OP sees this statement. It's short, sweet, and extremely informative.

Old 12-30-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I hope the OP sees this statement. It's short, sweet, and extremely informative.
Exactly and I think that is what people were alluding to. I sometimes think that some people don't understand that many, if not most, African Americans have no problem with embracing the various aspects and people within the diaspora. This is regardless of how dark or light or where they come from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa