Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 12:44 PM

93,936 posts, read 124,723,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
I added something above, let me re-state:

As for Nubians, they were a fine civilization that was a partner/adversary to Egypt in much the same way that Greece and Rome were partners/adversaries. But again, virtually no African American has a Nubian ancestor.

What is more, whiles they may have overlapped, Nubia was not Egypt.

Why not study your real ancestors? There is a vast amount of work to be done in res-discovering and cataloging the glories of West Africa.
Again, are we talking about Afrocentrists or African Americans? They aren't necessarily one and the same. Like I mentioned, many do refer to Western Africa and civilizations that were there. So, I'm trying to figure out what is the point of this thread.

If we are going to go there, by the way, why not push for using another term for Africa, since that is Latin? Perhaps the term Bantu would be more fitting, as it just means "people" Xhosa and it refers to those people that migrated from Western Africa throughout the continent south of the Sahara Desert or so.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:46 PM

12,983 posts, read 9,703,219 times
op, how would you describe the late egyptain president, Anwar Sadat.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:50 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,136,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Again, are we talking about Afrocentrists or African Americans? They aren't necessarily one and the same. Like I mentioned, many do refer to Western Africa and civilizations that were there. So, I'm trying to figure out what is the point of this thread.
And again, I have already apologized twice if you feel I am overgeneralizing. But it is an important and growing issue in the African American community that large numbers of African Americans are being mis-educated about the past.

The point of the thread is not hard to understand. Let me state it again: my question is, why is it that "Afrocentrists," who are largely comprised of African Americans, are obsessed with Egypt?

You can see this by attending any black studies class in the nation, or just by a simple google search. There is no way to de-construct this away.

Last edited by cachibatches; 12-30-2013 at 01:00 PM..

Old 12-30-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
op, how would you describe the late egyptain president, Anwar Sadat.
I believe his mother was Nubian. It is totally irrelevant, however. Most Egyptians are not, as Bernal would say, "usefully black," and in any event, virtually no African American has an Egyptian ancestor. I have heard it all before, and the Sadat argument is more fuzzy thinking thrown out here to perpetuate a myth.

African Americans do not have Egyptian ancestors.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:18 PM

20,528 posts, read 33,625,649 times
Quote:
It is what it is- west and central Africa.

This is exactly the kind of fuzzy thinking I am talking about. No offense, but do you know about the Sahelian civilizations? The Forest Kingdoms? Any of the aspects of Africa civilization that I mentioned in paragraph one?

You see, African Americans have a real heroic past, comparable to Egypt, or to how Europeans view Rome, or Mexicans the Aztecs. It should be revived.
Again, you don't get to tell us who we are or where we come from or what are history is about. We need to do this research on our own without anyone else coming in and telling us. As far as Black Egypt, I don't know if it's true or not. Like was said earlier, both sides have made solid arguments to prove what Ancient Kemet was. However, excuse Africans for being proud of what Africans as a whole accomplished no matter the people no matter the location. I don't want to bring up actual skin complexion they drew for themselves or the hairstyles they actually had. But there is a long study out there from many different scholars in both Africa and America that links Nubians and Egyptians in that they were the same people and that the Egyptians are descendants of ancient Kush/Nubians. Did not the Egyptians say their ancestors came from the South?

How about you let an actual Egyptian tell you. (3:12 is the most interesting information)

I'm Black and Egyptian, Not White - YouTube
I am Black American and I have met ZERO Black Americans that state we are descendants of Egyptians. I have met ZERO Black Americans that even talk about Egypt on a daily basis. Hell, most Black Americans people don't talk about anything in Africa on a daily basis (no disrespect). I already know about the kingdoms of Songhai, Ghana, and Mali. I also know about many of the kingdoms of West Central and East central Africa as well as South Africa.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:23 PM

93,936 posts, read 124,723,742 times
Quote:
And again, I have already apologized twice if you feel I am overgeneralizing. But it is an important and growing issue in the African American community that large numbers of African Americans are being mis-educated about the past.

The point of the thread is not hard to understand. Let me state it again: my question is, why is it that "Afrocentrists," who are largely comprised of African Americans, are obsessed with Egypt?

You can see this by attending any black studies class in the nation, or just by a simple google search. There is no way to de-construct this away.
Growing? I think you are too late and it isn't just African Americans. My point is decide which set of folks are obsessed, then go from there. I only say that because I think you are using them interchangeably in this thread.

Also, I don't think is about African American ancestry, but about Black people as a whole. While some things may be stretched in history in relation to all groups of people, by the way, I think many more are smart enough to recognize the real and the fake.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
You're right. There has been a mis-education about the past and it all started in grade school. You see, we were taught we came from the jungles of Africa and that we needed to be civilized and culturalized. But with new information coming out on how that is very much UNTRUE, people think we are now spreading myths about our true selves. I don't care what other people think. I know that Black people need to re-educate and reinvestigate their true history and no disrespect, nobody can do that but their own. That means them being their own archaeologists and their own scientists and their own researcher.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Again, you don't get to tell us who we are or where we come from or what are history is about. We need to do this research on our own without anyone else coming in and telling us. As far as Black Egypt, I don't know if it's true or not. Like was said earlier, both sides have made solid arguments to prove what Ancient Kemet was. However, excuse Africans for being proud of what Africans as a whole accomplished no matter the people no matter the location. I don't want to bring up actual skin complexion they drew for themselves or the hairstyles they actually had. But there is a long study out there from many different scholars in both Africa and America that links Nubians and Egyptians in that they were the same people and that the Egyptians are descendants of ancient Kush/Nubians. Did not the Egyptians say their ancestors came from the South?

How about you let an actual Egyptian tell you. (3:12 is the most interesting information)

I'm Black and Egyptian, Not White - YouTube
I am Black American and I have met ZERO Black Americans that state we are descendants of Egyptians. I have met ZERO Black Americans that even talk about Egypt on a daily basis. Hell, most Black Americans people don't talk about anything in Africa on a daily basis (no disrespect). I already know about the kingdoms of Songhai, Ghana, and Mali. I also know about many of the kingdoms of West Central and East central Africa as well as South Africa.
A few things:

A) There is a lot of deflection and straw man going on here, which I have been patient with. but let me state the purpose of the thread for a third time and then lets be done with this:

my question is, why is it that "Afrocentrists," who are largely comprised of African Americans, are obsessed with Egypt?

This is not particularly controversial. There is nothing wrong with it.

B) I do get to speak the truth when I see lies being perpetuated. Always. Unconditionally. And I see untruths being perpetuated all over the internet and even in classrooms.

C) I am glad that you stand with me in celebrating the true heroic past of the ancestors of African Americans.

D) I am glad that you know of know black people who try to claim Egypt- it just isn't particularly relevant since we are discussing Afro centric ideology.

E) As much as we actually see eye to eye on a lot of things, you have a tell here. You used the phony term "Kemet." Kemet simply means farmland. It means literally the "black land" in terms of fertile land as opposed to Dshrt, or "the red land." The latter is where our word desert comes from. Egyptians never referred to their civilization as "Kemet." that is an afro-centric myth.

F) Again, one Egyptian claims to be black. Most Egyptians are not "usefully black."

g) Egyptians and Nubians overlapped. They were not the same people. Egyptians are and were a mixed race, as were Nubians, to a lesser extent.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
You're right. There has been a mis-education about the past and it all started in grade school. You see, we were taught we came from the jungles of Africa and that we needed to be civilized and culturalized. But with new information coming out on how that is very much UNTRUE, people think we are now spreading myths about our true selves. I don't care what other people think. I know that Black people need to re-educate and reinvestigate their true history and no disrespect, nobody can do that but their own. That means them being their own archaeologists and their own scientists and their own researcher.
As stated in paragraph one, we are in total agreement. Unfortunately, there is not going to be a strong new generation of black archeologists and scientists interested in the real origins of the African American people if the afro-centrists win, and they are in the fight. The mis-education is talking place, even in universities, that African America ancestry lies in the Nile rather than the Niger. Those who cling to these myths will have no chance of succeeding in greater mainstream academia outside of black studies classes.

It is very sad.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
E) As much as we actually see eye to eye on a lot of things, you have a tell here. You used the phony term "Kemet." Kemet simply means farmland. It means literally the "black land" in terms of fertile land as opposed to Dshrt, or "the red land." The latter is where our word desert comes from. Egyptians never referred to their civilization as "Kemet." that is an afro-centric myth.

F) Again, one Egyptian claims to be black. Most Egyptians are not "usefully black."

g) Egyptians and Nubians overlapped. They were not the same people. Egyptians are and were a mixed race, as were Nubians, to a lesser extent.
1. I know what Kemet meant and I know it broke down to Black land and I realize that wasn't the actual name. I know they didn't call their land Egypt either. I could have use Tamerry or Tamare (which I should have anyway).

2. There are many Black Egyptians mostly in Upper Egypt and they've always been there. For millennia.
3. You just proved what the man in the video said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa