Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 12:29 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,137,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
You can continue to live in ignorance. I'm trying to explain to you why you think "Afrocentrists relate themselves to Egypt" but I can clearly see that information went right over your head as you refused to listen to anything I or anyone else has to say. Everything I wrote in my previous post answers the core questions of this debate.
But they are all invalid points. Not a legitimate one in the bunch. Since you obviously subscribe to this nonsense, it is you who are living in ignorance.

What I am still waiting for is for someone to show me a real connection between Egypt and the African American Afrocentrists that are trying to claim it. Nothing you have said explains why someone looks 1500 miles away from their real place of origin to a mythical one that has nothing to do with them.

Or perhaps I am being unfair to you? Would you like to take the opportunity to say that you disagree with the nonsense and you also would like Afrocentrists, who are largely African Americans, study their real origins?

Old 01-01-2014, 12:47 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,460,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Do you have some good solid sources that support the statement that African-Americans are obsessed with Egypt?

I've never heard that before. Is this purely in 'Academia circles'? It seems that you are in Academia, and getting into arguments with African-American students over Egypt? Maybe some personal agenda you have or something? Is that what this thread is all about?

I've never heard your average African-American person go on about Egypt, nor have I seen any 'obsessive' references to it among African-American rap music, pop music, film, literature, etc.
So what you want him to link up a poll or something? It's quite extensive the desire of many Blacks to link up with Ancient Egypt. I see it on this board, Twitter and numerous other forums. It's a major focus of the African-American Studies dept at Howard University for example.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:52 PM

8,634 posts, read 13,032,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
But they are all invalid points. Not a legitimate one in the bunch. Since you obviously subscribe to this nonsense, it is you who are living in ignorance.
I never said I was an Afrocentrist, your just assuming I was. You keep on bringing up " What are the historical connections between Egypt and Afrocentrics(who you assume are of West African descent)" My answer to that is it doesn't really matter. The reason for that is because Afrocentrists are looking at Egypt from a Pan-African viewpoint. They are not saying that African Americans are solely the Egyptian people. When they say we, they are talking about all African people collectively. I don't see what's so hard to comprehend. Your making this much more complicated than it actually is. You have to understand that this type of perspective, goes beyond just individual ethnicity and accepts the various ethnicities and cultural differences that consist among African people.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So what you want him to link up a poll or something? It's quite extensive the desire of many Blacks to link up with Ancient Egypt. I see it on this board, Twitter and numerous other forums. It's a major focus of the African-American Studies dept at Howard University for example.
Thanks for the support, but shouldn't even treat that question with any seriousness. It is a diversionary tactic, and nothing more. He knows what I am talking about, and if he didn't, a five second google search could open his eyes.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:55 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,460,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't care about Greece and Rome. I've learned enough. My focus is studying what we have done as a people. If you believe Egypt wasn't largely "black" then that is on you. And please name the Afrocentrists on this thread that is trying to claim Egypt. Two of us have already said we're not.
It's not a question of "believing" anything. It's a question of passing of beliefs as fact. The DNA evidence simply doesn't support the notion that Ancient Egyptians had any connection with African-Americans.

If you want to learn about your people there are numerous peoples you could study that did great things that are actually connected to you genetically and culturally.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I never said I was an Afrocentrist, your just assuming I was. You keep on bringing up " What are the historical connections between Egypt and Afrocentrics(who you assume are of West African descent)" My answer to that is it doesn't really matter. The reason for that is because Afrocentrists are looking at Egypt from a Pan-African viewpoint. They are not saying that African Americans are solely the Egyptian people. When they say we, they are talking about all African people collectively. I don't see what's so hard to comprehend. Your making this much more complicated than it actually is. You have to understand that this type of perspective, goes beyond just individual ethnicity and accepts the various ethnicities and cultural differences that consist among African people.
But of course it does matter. Pan-African is a nonsense perceptive, and obviously so. I do not claim Persia as a "Pan-Eurasianist," although they spoke and Indo-European language, and I thus have more connection to Iran that Afro-centrists do to Egypt. Among the people's of the earth, only Afrocentrists want this absurd perspective applied to them.

As for you being an Afrocentrist, you have pretty much revealed yourself in their camp by siding with some of their greatest nonsense.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:09 PM

8,634 posts, read 13,032,872 times
Quote:
But of course it does matter. Pan-African is a nonsense perceptive....
That's your opinion but that's not necessarily fact.

Quote:
and obviously so. I do not claim Persia as a "Pan-Eurasianist," although they spoke and Indo-European language, and I thus have more connection to Iran that Afro-centrists do to Egypt.
I could care less. If you want to believe that then go right ahead.

Quote:
Among the people's of the earth, only Afrocentrists want this absurd position applied to them.

As for you being an Afrocentrist, you have pretty much revealed yourself in their camp by siding with some of their greatest nonsense.
I'm sure Egyptians today would be greatly offended because I said "most Egyptians have Arab ancestry". I'm sure they would be greatly offended as that was enough for you to label me an Afrocentrist.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:31 PM

20,529 posts, read 33,629,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
It's not a question of "believing" anything. It's a question of passing of beliefs as fact. The DNA evidence simply doesn't support the notion that Ancient Egyptians had any connection with African-Americans.

If you want to learn about your people there are numerous peoples you could study that did great things that are actually connected to you genetically and culturally.
Yeah see you're too quick to jump on the bandwagon to say something against Black Americans like you usually do without reading the entire conversation in context. Where did I say that Black Americans are connected to Ancient Egyptians by any chance of science? We have said numerous times that most of us do not know of any connection to ancient Egypt. We just acknowledge it as a historic place in Africa and of this planet. And did you also miss where I said that we need to study our true selves and identity and nobody can do that but us? As far as pushing out belief as fact, that's what's been forced to us in the school system as fact only to find out out that many things we were taught wasn't true. Just because it's said in school doesn't make it truth.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:33 PM

93,954 posts, read 124,759,732 times
Quote:
But of course it does matter. Pan-African is a nonsense perceptive, and obviously so. I do not claim Persia as a "Pan-Eurasianist," although they spoke and Indo-European language, and I thus have more connection to Iran that Afro-centrists do to Egypt. Among the people's of the earth, only Afrocentrists want this absurd perspective applied to them.

So, you are allowed to claim a connection to Persia based on a linguistic connection, but people with origins to a continent can't claim a connection based on a land mass? What sense does that make? Odd........

Old 01-01-2014, 01:39 PM

20,529 posts, read 33,629,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
troll thread
It's exactly what it is and thread needs to be closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa