Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2023, 08:10 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,739,374 times

Advertisements

I think I mentioned this before, statistics show that almost half of the population here "gentrified" and was replaced by a majority of $200K+/year income earners doing WFH and retirees misled by the no income tax "free lunch" during the pandemic. This era will be a page in the history books as the downturn of this area, as everything from a broad range of services to healthcare to the USPS became historically understaffed. Too many queen bees not enough workers, is the next crisis that is already here. Unfortunately, these people then NIMBY and make things worse. That "eyesore" mobile home park might have housed your mail carrier who delivers your medications, the single mom who will change your depends when you've crapped your pants while in the hospital, the guy who repairs your car, rotates your tires, or changes your oil....now they are either booked out months or are gone. Worse yet, those on the bottom rung of the ladder are now bumped out into HUD or homelessness, of which the remaining taxpayers foot the ever growing bill for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2023, 08:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I guess they must find something all right...

Now it will be interesting to see if this inflated prices have legs to stand on in the long run...
Some people consider their QoL to be a 30 second walk to plop they're kayak in the Puget Sound, or a bike / hiking trail in their backyard, next to miles of Green space. Or... As my home, no other homes visible from my living room for as far as I can see. 50+ miles.
On the other hand.... 40+ yrs in the PNW, and I've never been to a Trader Joe's, or coffee shop. But I do enjoy the he fresh Salmon, and wild game that is available in my backyard. No traffic, noise, or stoplights encountered.

If sequestered in Bham, I'd be figuring how to get access to WWU sports center, even if it meant going back to college! Need something to do in winter, besides ski.BC.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:06 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,716,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Some people consider their QoL to be a 30 second walk to plop they're kayak in the Puget Sound, or a bike / hiking trail in their backyard, next to miles of Green space. Or... As my home, no other homes visible from my living room for as far as I can see. 50+ miles.
On the other hand.... 40+ yrs in the PNW, and I've never been to a Trader Joe's, or coffee shop. But I do enjoy the he fresh Salmon, and wild game that is available in my backyard. No traffic, noise, or stoplights encountered.

If sequestered in Bham, I'd be figuring how to get access to WWU sports center, even if it meant going back to college! Need something to do in winter, besides ski.BC.
Wait, Stealth. I thought you spent most of the dark PNW winter months in your out of state homes in the south where its warmer and you can see the stars at night or vacationing to Asia, etc...?

Are planning to stay in WA this winter? My best years of skiing were when I lived somewhere warmer and then vacationed to the snow vs. living in it. I understand why Canadians migrate south for the winter now.

Derek

Old 12-13-2023, 09:07 PM

1,831 posts, read 812,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I agree but actually San Diego is not as expensive as its magnificent geographical position may suggest.
It was my first choice to buy a retirement home until I discovered that its ocean waters are actually not swimmable (you need a wetsuit even in summer).

As someone who spent most of their adult life in San Diego & North San Diego County, I strongly disagree.

The inflated housing prices took a brief hiatus as a result of the crash in ‘08, then bounced back to even more insane amounts. I learned about the sunshine tax when I was in grad school there, & gladly paid it, & most people would, because that was nothing compared to the price of living there now.

Regarding the Pacific Ocean off San Diego County, it is swimmable. It’s not like the Gulf of Mexico, but people, including me, swim in it at all times of the year. If you surf, you MAY need a wetsuit.

I REALLY hope that Bellingham doesn’t go the direction that San Diego did, there is no coming back.

Last edited by CalWorth; 12-13-2023 at 09:21 PM..

Old 12-13-2023, 09:42 PM

8,219 posts, read 16,716,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
As someone who spent most of their adult life in San Diego & North San Diego County, I strongly disagree.

The inflated housing prices took a brief hiatus as a result of the crash in ‘08, then bounced back to even more insane amounts. I learned about the sunshine tax when I was in grad school there, & gladly paid it, & most people would, because that was nothing compared to the price of living there now.

Regarding the Pacific Ocean off San Diego County, it is swimmable. It’s not like the Gulf of Mexico, but people, including me, swim in it at all times of the year. If you surf, you MAY need a wetsuit.

I REALLY hope that Bellingham doesn’t go the direction that San Diego did, there is no coming back.
Yes, I agree. Go to the beach in SD any day during summer and you'll see hordes of peoples including locals and tourists alike swimming in the ocean. I did while growing up in SoCal without ever thinking twice. If/when you start getting cold, layout in the sun and warmup. Then when you get too hot from the sun go back in the water - easy as that.

Regarding Bham getting like SD, it will never happen at least to that degree. There's just not enough there and its too small. Sure, some like it as a boutique outdoorsy, smaller college town including retirees. But there is no comparison to SD which for better or worst is consistently rated as one of the top cities to live in in the nation. Personally, I can't stand the millions of people and overcrowding there now. But its a major city along the coast in the one mildest climates in the US. So, there's a reason its become overcrowded and severely overpriced for most including long time residents. If money were no object, I'd buy in Monterey/Carmel which I like more now. But we have relatives in SD and they have no desire to ever leave. Though they visit us up in the north.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-13-2023 at 10:00 PM..

Old 12-14-2023, 02:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Wait, Stealth. I thought you spent most of the dark PNW winter months in your out of state homes ...
I have to stay Stealth (and get my 100 USA flights/ yr + international trips) B'Ham would work fine since SWA serves BLI now, and YVR is nearby for quick escapes to Asia. + Alaska Marine Highway for summer trips. We lived on Thetis Island, so we were quite close to B'ham. but... since I do not allow stoplights in my entire retirement county, I don't plan to move to traffic. Just that it would work if it had to.

Today it started to rain in my hill country home, so I headed west to cut the Christmas tree and decorate.
Need to wrap up a few projects in prep for the Jan $29 fares to sunshine (I have 44 trips booked through May). $82 trips to Hawaii will keep spouse traveling with a free companion (I don't do Hawaii, I would rather just go on further to The South Pacific.

Since 2024 is an election yr, I don't intend on hanging out in USA much (just for total eclipse on 8 Aoril during prime Bluebonnet season in Hill Country)

Bellingham will have no problem retaining the high property prices. For desirable and destination areas, there will always be enough 'visitors with dreams' to keep the prices out of reach for locals. Thus I find it best to VISIT those places, on my terms (off season / good weather) Including my childhood home of Estes Park, Colorado, which I do several times / year. Some places change so much, that they can never again be home. The price of progress (?)

Old 12-14-2023, 05:23 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,309,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I never said they are cheap, they are overpriced indeed I simply said that, it seems to me, they are by comparison not as overpriced as some homes I did see on Redfin in Bham, considering the magnificent SD geographical and climate position and the fact that San Diego has an actual economy and high paying jobs.

Quote:
As someone that grew up in Sicily I strongly disagree in considering SD waters swimmable, they are definitely not. According to official water temperature data, on average, it never reaches the 20 C (68 F) mark that put it definitely in the uncomfortable side of the equation. Maybe a very quick dip after roasting quite a bit under the sun but that's it.
Any swimming water temperature guidelines suggest a wetsuit under 70 F.

San Diegans themselves told me that it's freaking cold.

Some people go for a quick swim even in the Puget Sound or in White Rock in Canada in the summer, that does not make it comfortable.

On top of that, SD lacks the type of small protected cove beaches that I like.

Old 12-14-2023, 09:45 AM

1,684 posts, read 2,713,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

Bellingham will have no problem retaining the high property prices. For desirable and destination areas, there will always be enough 'visitors with dreams' to keep the prices out of reach for locals. Thus I find it best to VISIT those places, on my terms (off season / good weather) Including my childhood home of Estes Park, Colorado, which I do several times / year. Some places change so much, that they can never again be home. The price of progress (?)
I agree with you on this Stealth. Bellingham, now discovered, attracts people who have a dream of living in a certain kind of place. There's a mystique, a hope of this beautiful (it is beautiful) town and a certain kind of life they imagine can be found there. Those who can pay for it will, and those who can't, will be pushed out. (Or, as seems to happen on the west coast, live in a van down by the river).

Old 12-14-2023, 10:00 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,309,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, I agree. Go to the beach in SD any day during summer and you'll see hordes of peoples including locals and tourists alike swimming in the ocean. I did while growing up in SoCal without ever thinking twice. If/when you start getting cold, layout in the sun and warmup. Then when you get too hot from the sun go back in the water - easy as that.
I did put a foot in the water in July in San Diego ("tasting the water") and it was enough...no thanks!

These San Diegans disagree with you

https://www.reddit.com/r/surfing/com...diego_in_july/

Occasionally you may not need a wetsuit, or quick dips.

Under 70 F water is not comfortably swimmable. Olympic swimming official guidelines mandate a minimum of 80 F water. San Diego does not cut it. I LOVE San Diego but ocean swimming is not its forte.

Can you swim in it?? Sure you can, again, some people swim in San Francisco or even in the Puget Sound in summer....

Water Temperature Safety Guide

https://www.coldwatersafety.org/wate...e-safety-guide

"60-70F (15-21C) Dangerous
Controlling your breathing and holding your breath becomes progressively more difficult as water temperature falls from 70°F to 60°F (21°C to 15°C)."

​

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-14-2023 at 10:33 AM..

Old 12-14-2023, 11:09 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,739,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayfair View Post
I agree with you on this Stealth. Bellingham, now discovered, attracts people who have a dream of living in a certain kind of place. There's a mystique, a hope of this beautiful (it is beautiful) town and a certain kind of life they imagine can be found there. Those who can pay for it will, and those who can't, will be pushed out. (Or, as seems to happen on the west coast, live in a van down by the river).
+1. I'm over it really I know it's not going to change. I think people that come here need to beware though, and understand that Bellingham has hit critical gentrification. The mail may not come before you start getting collections calls for the bills, it may take weeks to get your Benz serviced or repaired, housekeepers and yard maintenance are full, raising rates and looking to dump clients, and you may encounter your favorite restaurant is now closed, or with a long wait while half full for lack of staff. If I was rich(and I'm anything but lol), I'd want a place flush with people to serve me when I snapped my fingers, and that is not Bellingham anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington