Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2023, 10:22 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,298,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Bellingham is nice... (And thankfully closet to YVR)
Why you find the closeness to Vancouver so enticing?? If you are referring to the convenience of the closeness to an international airport (maybe that's why you used the "YVR" acronym) that is understandable.

I just came back from Vancouver last weekend to visit some friends. Traffic was horrific and downtown is getting way too dense for my taste, I find it almost suffocating. Restaurant scene, other than Asian is so so, no better than Seattle, in some cases quite the opposite, arts and museum scene is quite inferior too. It is also no more multicultural than Seattle either.

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-19-2023 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 02:05 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Why you find the closeness to Vancouver so enticing?? If you are referring to the convenience of the closeness to an international airport (maybe that's why you used the "YVR" acronym) that is understandable.

I just came back from Vancouver last weekend to visit some friends. Traffic was horrific and downtown is getting way too dense for my taste, I find it almost suffocating. Restaurant scene, other than Asian is so so, no better than Seattle, in some cases quite the opposite, arts and museum scene is quite inferior too. It is also no more multicultural than Seattle either.
We enjoy visiting Vancouver, BC, more so than Seattle. When we visited we were very struck by its beautiful architecture, scenery and cleanliness compared to most US large cities along with the friendliness of the locals. The difference was noticeable to all of us almost immediately. We stayed in local families' second unit and they were great folks as were othered we met. There is a cultural difference in relation to the lack of Seattle freeze factor. It's similar to what is experienced when visiting the South, for example, and then returning to the PNW.

One could probably make a case why they like one over the other depending on their preferences. However, by most metrics used, Vancouver, BC is normally ranked higher than Seattle in terms of overall livability as an international city. I know Washingtonians who have gone to university there and greatly preferred it to WA options. And, of course, some work there as well. Bham is almost a suburb of Vancouver BC. There's also some fun cultural differences to experience between the US and CA, hey?

From the Seattle Times (of all places):
"Vancouver, B.C., among the world’s most livable cities in 2023" - https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...ities-in-2023/

And there are many more rating it as a top international city.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-19-2023 at 02:17 PM..

Old 12-19-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
We enjoy visiting Vancouver, BC, more so than Seattle. When we visited we were very struck by its beautiful architecture, scenery and cleanliness compared to most US large cities along with the friendliness of the locals. The difference was noticeable to all of us almost immediately. We stayed in local families' second unit and they were great folks as were othered we met. There is a cultural difference in relation to the lack of Seattle freeze factor. It's similar to what is experienced when visiting the South, for example, and then returning to the PNW.

One could probably make a case why they like one over the other depending on their preferences. However, by most metrics used, Vancouver, BC is normally ranked higher than Seattle in terms of overall livability as an international city. I know Washingtonians who have gone to university there and greatly preferred it to WA options. And, of course, some work there as well. Bham is almost a suburb of Vancouver BC. There's also some fun cultural differences to experience between the US and CA, hey?

From the Seattle Times (of all places):
"Vancouver, B.C., among the world’s most livable cities in 2023" - https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-...ities-in-2023/

And there are many more rating it as a top international city.

Derek

Just to let you know, these livability rankings are, at best, heavily biased towards people out of town that are company transfers (retaining their home country contacts, benefits and relocation packages) at worst just marketing BS. Livability is very subjective, impossible to define.

I lived in Vancouver for 3 years working for a major corporation and it is actually quite more unlivable than Seattle due to the significant higher CoL, especially its out of this world real estate market coupled with lack of good paying professional jobs.

When it comes to the "freeze" it's a PNW phenomena, Vancouver is as bad as Seattle, both very different from the south.

Personally, I find its architecture bland and uninteresting like any modern North American city, the natural setting it's beautiful but it's getting way too crowded.

Despite delusion of "world class city" status, neither Vancouver or Seattle qualify as such, Seattle is quite closer, it's an economic giant compared to Vancouver and what comes from Seattle has indeed changed the world in a way, Boeing, Microsoft, Amazon, Starbucks, Grunge music, the iconic "Sleepless in Seattle", etc...Arts and museum scene in Vancouver is tiny, to be kind.

Vancouver is basically a little bit more than a beautiful resort town with a large port attached to it.

Old 12-20-2023, 12:40 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,705,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I lived in Vancouver for 3 years working for a major corporation and it is actually quite more unlivable than Seattle due to the significant higher CoL, especially its out of this world real estate market coupled with lack of good paying professional jobs.
I think with anywhere, once you live in a place, it's a different perspective than visiting. Sometimes better, sometimes worse.

Old 12-20-2023, 12:44 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,696 posts, read 58,012,579 times
My own living in Vancouver, and hundreds of close friends still living there, and my frequent visits + the stats well support Vancouver BC as far more international than Seattle (or anything USA). LA and NYC are rated below Vancouver BC. (in stats, not some 20 YO 'something' influencer)

You do you (fantastic, be all over yourself!)

The stats and experiences are different. Surprise? Don't be. We all see life through a different lense. (especially me!)

Old 12-20-2023, 03:57 PM

Quote:
well support Vancouver BC as far more international than Seattle (or anything USA). LA and NYC are rated below Vancouver BC. (in stats, not some 20 YO 'something' influencer)
That takes the cake....Vancouver more "international" than NYC or LA...yeah sure......LOL . What's next?? Vancouver art scene is better than Paris? ahahahah I'm pretty sure there are "stats" about that too!!

Last edited by saturno_v; 12-20-2023 at 04:29 PM..

Old 12-21-2023, 11:58 PM

3,203 posts, read 2,483,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I like your taste in properties here, in terms of the larger, well-treed lots (Bellingham). Unfortunately, although the exteriors are showy, the interiors are very bland, and obviously new construction. Still, the prices are much better than with the earlier listings with comparable sq. footage and bigger lots. I've always preferred to be nestled among evergreens, than to have a "view" lot. An up-close-and-personal "view" of trees is my idea of luxury.
You would probably love our location and land, the house not so much. Six acres with old second growth evergreens, several ponds, a creek we can see and hear from the house, a twelve minute drive to the downtown library, close to parks and trails. But, it is a gentrifying area that we will soon be priced out of. Take our equity and move where? Maybe we will cash out and go on a very long cruise.

Old 12-22-2023, 09:57 AM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xPlorer48 View Post
You would probably love our location and land, the house not so much. Six acres with old second growth evergreens, several ponds, a creek we can see and hear from the house, a twelve minute drive to the downtown library, close to parks and trails. But, it is a gentrifying area that we will soon be priced out of. Take our equity and move where? Maybe we will cash out and go on a very long cruise.
Wow! I'd love to see that. Couldn't you compromise, instead of cashing out, and sell off some of the acreage, but keep some of it? Time to think creatively, and plan for the inevitable.

Old 12-22-2023, 12:34 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,696 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow! I'd love to see that. Couldn't you compromise, instead of cashing out, and sell off some of the acreage, but keep some of it? Time to think creatively, and plan for the inevitable.
sell off some of the acreage

Adding to sprawl,

Better... the state and county devise a plan...
1) How can we operate most effectively and efficiently within our current tax revenue streams?
2) How can we assure housing security to our LT residents (who have never missed a tax payment in 40+ yrs)
3) How can we hold the agencies feeding off our tax revenues to demand efficiency? (EMS, Libraries, Schools, LID, Roads...)

Alternatives for those who cannot maintain a growing demand of state / county taxes on cash flows... easy to link to IRS... (No paychecks / earned income (raises...) for last 19 yrs in this household).
  • life estate?
Ways to pay back / credit taxes via;
  1. community service /
  2. mentoring /
  3. reducing demand on services (conservation)
  4. No-interest (inflation only) accumulation against clear title
  5. Reverse mortgage

or... a handy check box on tax statement.
Check this box and we'll send you a check (full tax valuation assessment), for you to vacate property in 120 days. Our current valuation is ~ 2x what we could unload this joint 'as-is'. and is over 10x my cost basis. (Yes, I contest my valuations every year).

I just built it (brick-by-brick) to LIVE in, not to sell, as 100% goes to charity anyway.

Just looking for a spot to rest my head for my few remaining yrs. (weds, lost second friend this week (under age 69)). Would be very peaceful to just die in the home I built to die in.

Old 12-22-2023, 02:54 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
sell off some of the acreage

Adding to sprawl,

Better... the state and county devise a plan...
1) How can we operate most effectively and efficiently within our current tax revenue streams?
2) How can we assure housing security to our LT residents (who have never missed a tax payment in 40+ yrs)
3) How can we hold the agencies feeding off our tax revenues to demand efficiency? (EMS, Libraries, Schools, LID, Roads...)

Just looking for a spot to rest my head for my few remaining yrs. (weds, lost second friend this week (under age 69)). Would be very peaceful to just die in the home I built to die in.
While I think many agree with that sentiment and may also vote in that direction when given the opportunity, the current reality of the situation for xPlorer48 and many others like him in Bham such as rcarguy and his friends and family is that they really are getting priced out, bottom line. Many, according to these locals, have already moved out or are planning to do so in the near future. Understanding they are in a community of like minded locals who have lived there a long time, I'm sure they've seen it firsthand as well as considered these options long and hard.

Regarding subdividing the land or selling everything off, it's likely the results will still be the same anyway. That is, the new buyer/owner/developer will turn around and make a fortune with no qualms at all turning the land into tiny lots for all the newcomers who pay a premium to live there.

The same thing is happening in Clark County where we live. Our local dairy farmers are selling parts of their land in order to remain and afford retirement in the same area they raised their families. I spoke to one of our neighbors who told me exactly that. He said there is no money in dairy farming any longer and can't afford retirement otherwise. Some may judge him while others not. But he found a way to support his family, bottom line. That's what is happening right now throughout the state. And it is one viable option to remain. That's not saying it's philosophically the best use of the land vs. wide open plains. But it's the most financially viable today for many regardless. And if they remain, they can have a say in how the new construction goes like our neighbor does through overseeing the development.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-22-2023 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington