Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 12:49 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times

Advertisements

I didn't find this in search (Nanny Rules), but WA certainly qualifies since WA jumps to follow CA and Oregon 'great (nanny) ideas' on how to control it's populace. (I.e. CARB, which was voted down by populace, but later instated by Gov edict)

Just this week alone...
WA pre-filed bill proposes ban on gas-powered tools,
https://www.kxly.com/news/wa-pre-fil...0bill%20passes.

WA wants a say in how you roll … when you go tire shopping
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...tire-shopping/

https://arnouxmedias.biz.id/washingt...tire-shopping/

I already have to have certain chemical shipments and some auto-parts shipped out-of-state, because nanny WA won't allow. This is a business opportunity for some companies.

Same with Health care and insurance companies and investment options. Much is not allowed in 'protectionism ' WA... Just trying to protect (?) all the vulnerable and fragile residents. (that we can't kill by euthanasia).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 12:57 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Fortunately, my gas powered equipment is still in good shape and I can fix anything that breaks:

6500 Watt Generator
2000 Watt Inverter Generator
12 HP Chipper-Shredder
Chainsaw
Riding Mower
Push Mower
Power Washer
Rototiller
Outboard Motor

Old 12-22-2023, 01:45 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
Well at least we are not at the Canadian level….yet.
They are doubling down on carbon tax while they increased coal exports to China by 30%.
It’s to save the planet I guess, or is it a money grab ?

Old 12-22-2023, 01:52 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I hate keeping small gas engines running, and we've actually replaced most of them with electric. Cordless electric tools have improved dramatically over the years.

That said, I'll fight for the right of others, particularly pros using them for business all day, to use gas powered tools if they want them! Just say no to nanny state rules.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 12-22-2023 at 02:23 PM..

Old 12-22-2023, 03:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I hate keeping small gas engines running, and we've actually replaced most of them with electric. Cordless electric tools have improved dramatically over the years.

That said, I'll fight for the right of others, particularly pros using them for business all day, to use gas powered tools if they want them! Just say no to nanny state rules.
Thanks for that. I also do have an electric pole chainsaw, electric hedge trimmer and electric pruning shears. Everything has it's use. I do like keeping gas engines running, though, especially my 1974 Nova.

Old 12-28-2023, 08:36 PM

334 posts, read 420,925 times
Ban away on those stupid leaf blowers. 2 stroke engines put out more harmful emissions than cars do. They're loud, they stink, and they pollute like crazy.

Some gas powered tools make perfect sense, though, and perform duties that can't be handled by electric alternatives. These are mainly tools used by pros. The average person could probably mow their lawn just fine with an electric mower and have a better experience, not having to maintain a gas engine.

Old 01-03-2024, 03:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
Ban away ... They're loud, they stink, and they pollute like crazy.
Possibly okay for the typical WA person / voter who happens to living in suburbia or a metro area that actually has dependable electricity, lights, phone, internet, cable... the stuff many of us living / working / surviving for generations in the WA countryside only hear others seem to have access to.

We can get by without a lot of things, but going back to hand saws, and steam powered equipment for stuff we use many hours each and every day. Electricity (when / if we have it) to charge up our temporary and toxic batteries to run 'toy' equipment, just won't 'cut-it'. I can just imagine driving back to the farmstead every hr to charge more toxic batteries when cutting down and limbing 4' Dia trees all day long. (maybe 1/10th as efficient as a fuel powered chainsaw. ) Of course, we could fuel our steam boilers and equipment with home grown and brewed biofuels @ 80% reduction in emmisions. But of course, those fuels will be contraband. Made illegal to force more use of abundant (?) electricity, which we (WA) crippled production in January 1982.

We're so smart!
(Our company installed EV plug-in parking throughout USA operations in 1976, we've progressed so far!, so FAST!)

Old 01-03-2024, 08:52 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Well at least we are not at the Canadian level….yet.
They are doubling down on carbon tax while they increased coal exports to China by 30%.
It’s to save the planet I guess, or is it a money grab ?
You're being sarcastic, right? Of course it's a money grab. I've noticed, that Canada's very big on mining. Where the US has preserved their beaches (esp. CA) as state parks for public use, Canada mines heavily up and down their west coast. The waters in those areas (including beaches just outside of West Van) are toxic from old closed or currently active mines. You might say, who cares: the water's too cold to swim in anyway". I wonder if that was the BC gov't's rationale, too. There are kids' summer camps in West Van's Howe Sound, as there are in our Puget Sound, that require kids to pass a swim test for safety, and kids do swim in the water for fun sometimes.

Old 01-03-2024, 02:21 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're being sarcastic, right? Of course it's a money grab. I've noticed, that Canada's very big on mining. Where the US has preserved their beaches (esp. CA) as state parks for public use, Canada mines heavily up and down their west coast. The waters in those areas (including beaches just outside of West Van) are toxic from old closed or currently active mines. You might say, who cares: the water's too cold to swim in anyway". I wonder if that was the BC gov't's rationale, too. There are kids' summer camps in West Van's Howe Sound, as there are in our Puget Sound, that require kids to pass a swim test for safety, and kids do swim in the water for fun sometimes.
Can you list these mines, plus the beaches that are closed because of them?

Old 01-03-2024, 03:12 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Can you list these mines, plus the beaches that are closed because of them?
Part of the problem is, that the beaches aren't closed, as far as I know. In Howe Sound, pollutants from the old Britannia mine are still a threat to marine life, and presumably to human health, if anyone were to venture into the water. 2017 article: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...port-1.3988334
Quote:
The Vancouver Aquarium's Coastal Ocean Research Institute (CORI) said pollutants from the old Britannia Mine still linger in the area.
https://conservationnw.org/news-upda...en-our-waters/
Quote:
One major threat to U.S. waters is the Copper Mountain copper mine, located just 25 miles from the Washington border on the Similkameen River, which feeds into the Columbia River watershed. Mine operators have proposed a plan to increase the height of one of its tailings dams to 853 feet — 250 feet higher than Seattle’s Space Needle. This would make the Copper Mountain Mine tailings dam the second tallest in the world.
Here's a map of BC mines. There are 3 on Vancouver Island alone; it looks like 2 are active, one inactive, if I interpret the map correctly.
https://mines.nrs.gov.bc.ca/map

If it helps you feel any better, mining is big in Alaska, too. And like BC, Alaska's mines extract gold, zinc, and lead. Also silver and coal. Some of Alaska's mines threaten some of the richest salmon fisheries in the world. The threat to salmon runs would also true of BC's coastal mines and coastal-watershed mines.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 01-03-2024 at 03:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington