Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 11:26 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,331,194 times

Advertisements

I take it for granted that everyone knows how crazy the housing market has been since Covid began. Investors with huge cash reserves have been buying up properties sight unseen all across the country but especially in the sunbelt, and that has had a tremendous effect on rental properties. Properties that come onto the market literally sell in as little as two days.

I have lived in my current home going on eight years. In that time the value of the properly has literally tripled, mainly within the last 2.5 years. Along with that development taxes have soared, and thanks to Covid, maintenance costs have also increased by at least half of what they were pre-Covid. Given all of these factors, my landlord has decided to sell the property. I was told my lease will not be renewed, so I have roughly eight weeks to find another place to live.

We are currently at about 98% occupancy in most larger cities. Fort Worth is no exception. I have been hitting a brick wall trying to find either an apartment complex or a private landlord who is willing to accept my housing choice voucher. I have only found two apartment complexes who participate in the programme, but neither one has any vacancies, and both have a wait list of 6-12 months.

I would like to know why so few landlords want to participate in the programme? I have never "ported" my voucher, but I understand it is not an easy thing to do in the best of circumstances. I do not know where to go or what to do at this point other than to keep looking at listings and contacting the landlords to inquire whether or not they participate in the programme or are interested in participating. If I am forced out of my home now, I will have 60 days to apply my voucher to another rental property. If I fail to do so, I forfeit the voucher. I have no where else to go, so I will become homeless and have to wait for some housing authority list to open (may take 2-5 years or more) before I can get back on the list for a voucher. As I understand i, once on the list, I will have to wait to be a "lucky winner" in a lottery drawing. I foresee a possibility of living (possibly dying) on the street for years to come given this new lottery system. I am in deadly serious crisis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2022, 02:39 PM

1,656 posts, read 2,779,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post

I would like to know why so few landlords want to participate in the programme?

I was curious about this question and found this

https://sparkrental.com/become-section-8-landlord/

Old 05-21-2022, 04:30 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
The “tenant damage” is a real thing. I have friend who rented his house on Section 8. He said the tenants evidently owned 5+ huge TVs, but did not own a vacuum cleaner. When they moved out, the carpet was so dirty that it literally stuck to the subfloor. They also put lots of holes in the walls, and evidently never cleaned the bathrooms. He had to spend thousands to get the house livable to rent to another tenant, and he said he will never rent Section 8 again.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having a hard time finding someone who will take the voucher. I know that not every tenant is like the one in my friends example, but that’s why so many landlords want no part of Section 8.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:33 AM

I believe you, ChristieP, but I think this sort of thing could happen with any tenants whether or not they utilise a housing voucher. I have plenty of people in my neighbourhood now who are so dirty and could not care less about the properties they lease, and I know most of these people do not depend on a housing stipend. My next door neighbour, for instance, does not utilise a stipend, and I have not heard the vacuum going over there in a couple of years. The last time I was in his unit, it was filthy. I utilise a housing stipend, but I am clean, pay my rent on time every month, and have put my own money into preserving and improving the property. I am not saying this is you, but anyone who thinks that all tenants who utilise a housing stipend are bad tenants is wrong. The reasoning is fallacious, but that appears to be the reality, ufortunatey.

Old 05-27-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofache32 View Post
I was curious about this question and found this

https://sparkrental.com/become-section-8-landlord/
Thanks for posting.

Old 05-31-2022, 08:49 PM

5,612 posts, read 4,933,753 times
Not just tenant damage, but the required paperwork and inspections. Generally only in low-rent (often perceived "undesirable") areas will landlords find those things worth it for the guaranteed portion of the rent at FMR levels.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:12 PM

Yes, LocalPlanner, one thing I noticed that hurts voucher recipients is the annual inspection. I have lived in properties for years where from the first inspection things were not flagged. Then, four or five years later, they flag something that has been there from day one. It is as if the inspectors feel they must find something to flag.

In the last property in which I lived before my current one, they flagged something every year, and in my 4th or 5th year in that property, they flagged two things that had been there since day one, and the owner, who lived in California and had the most awful realtor here handling the property, said enough. She refused to make any changes, so they stopped paying the stipend, and I was forced to move. It took me three months to find another property, and during that time I had to give my entire SS income to cover the rent. Looking back, they should have made the repairs because they agreed to this from the start, and I do not think they could have evicted me over it, but I was too busy trying to find another property and move to do anything about it. I recall begging the inspector that year to PLEASE not flag two really stupid things because it could cost me my lease, and the time and expense to move were hugely burdensome. It went in one ear and out the other.

I am so tired of fighting for my rights with companies, landlords, etc. I just want peace in my life, but there always seems to be conflict over something. As one enters one's golden years, it really wears one down. Makes it next to impossible to enjoy one's so-called "golden years." People like myself live in constant fear of being forced to move because of stuff like this, and as I said, the costs to move are a very, very heavy burden indeed.

Old 06-01-2022, 12:39 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Have you looked at affordable housing communities for senior citizens? Rather than struggling to find a single family house that will take a voucher, why not live in a senior community that has income-based rents?

https://www.after55.com/tx/low-income

https://www.elderoptionsoftexas.com/...apartments.htm

Old 06-01-2022, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Have you looked at affordable housing communities for senior citizens? Rather than struggling to find a single family house that will take a voucher, why not live in a senior community that has income-based rents?

https://www.after55.com/tx/low-income

https://www.elderoptionsoftexas.com/...apartments.htm
Yes, I have begun to look into this as well. I have been trying read reviews of every possible property I can find. Sadly, the large apartment complexes that are income based, whether restricted to seniors or not, do not have very good reviews. I read too many reviews that mention roaches, rats, etc. {{{SHIVER}}} I wat to get into another duplex if at all possible.

Old 06-04-2022, 09:03 AM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Yes, I have begun to look into this as well. I have been trying read reviews of every possible property I can find. Sadly, the large apartment complexes that are income based, whether restricted to seniors or not, do not have very good reviews. I read too many reviews that mention roaches, rats, etc. {{{SHIVER}}} I wat to get into another duplex if at all possible.

I thought you were moving out of Texas because you hated the heat and humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth