Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 03:39 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times

Advertisements

Living without a car is much less expensive than living with one ($775 a month, or $9,282 a year, according to AAA). That is money that can be put toward paying for rent, a mortgage, health insurance, a vacation trip, or other expenses. So, $1,500 in rent minus $775 = $725.

The issue with places like Vail and Aspen is the high price of land (due to the lack of it combined with high demand for it) making development of housing for workers uneconomic as opposed to vacation properties for the rich. Bellingham's most desirable areas (west of I-5) are also land-restricted with high demand, although nowhere near as much as Vail and Aspen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 09:17 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
It's not an occasional thing but rather the norm during summer. That is, it's warm enough to swim, surf and paddle for the vast majority. I literally went in the water 5+ days a week during summer months as a kid and then into young adulthood, just not as frequently. And there are hundreds of thousands doing the that same thing every year.

Let me ask you this. Have you visited the FL coast on a sunny day during the winter near your home down in Clearwater Beach, for example? If it's sunny and reasonably warm out in terms of air temps, there will be people swimming in the ocean just like in that photo I posted from Clearwater in the winter. That's when the water is in the 60s vs. 70s (your ideal for comfort level).

Derek

Sorry for the delay in answering, I been away this weekend.

I put my foot in the water in SD only two times in summer and in both cases it was too cold for me...maybe I was unlucky or I'm a sissy, you decide .
If, despite the official data, water temperature in SD in summer in reality rises well above 70 and over 80 well I'm glad for the San Diegans

All I can tell you is that water at 70 F and below is damn cold for me and ain't going to swim in it.

I went on Sarasota Beach and Clearwater beach this November during one of my house hunting trips in Tampa. Not many people in the water...there were few but not that many (average water temp for these places, according to data, is ~75 F in November).

Old 12-17-2023, 09:33 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Sorry for the delay in answering, I been away this weekend.

I put my foot in the water in SD only two times in summer and in both cases it was too cold for me...maybe I was unlucky or I'm a sissy, you decide .
If, despite the official data, water temperature in SD in summer in reality rises well above 70 and over 80 well I'm glad for the San Diegans

All I can tell you is that water at 70 F and below is damn cold for me and ain't going to swim in it.

I went on Sarasota Beach and Clearwater beach this November during one of my house hunting trips in Tampa. Not many people in the water...there were few but not that many (average water temp for these places, according to data, is ~75 F in November).
It doesn't really matter since everyone is so different. I would just try to have an open mind when the sun is out and everyone is enjoying the water without wetsuits. You might surprise yourself... or maybe not. The beaches there are so tame with tiny waves and long shallow sections that there is no risk when only in waist deep water.

SD will be between ~ 65-70 for about four months during summer. Then, it gets colder. That four month window is fine for most locals and tourists alike but obviously not all. It's invigorating vs. feeling like bath water.

As for central FL in the winter around Clearwater, its also in that same range. Right now its 65 looking at the surf report. When I was surfing in the gulf a couple of weeks ago in Panama City further north, it was also in that range and felt great to me. But maybe others thought it was cold? I can comfortably surf, swim, paddle when in that range especially when the sun is out. But I've been doing it my whole life and so it feels like the ocean I've always loved. By contrast, if you are used to 70s/80s, then it probably seems cold. Maybe its too late to teach an old dog new tricks or maybe you could acclimate? It probably depends if you really want to or not at this life stage closer to retirement. Walks along the beach are nice too.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 12-17-2023 at 09:41 PM..

Old 12-18-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
It doesn't really matter since everyone is so different. I would just try to have an open mind when the sun is out and everyone is enjoying the water without wetsuits. You might surprise yourself... or maybe not. The beaches there are so tame with tiny waves and long shallow sections that there is no risk when only in waist deep water.

SD will be between ~ 65-70 for about four months during summer. Then, it gets colder. That four month window is fine for most locals and tourists alike but obviously not all. It's invigorating vs. feeling like bath water.

As for central FL in the winter around Clearwater, its also in that same range. Right now its 65 looking at the surf report. When I was surfing in the gulf a couple of weeks ago in Panama City further north, it was also in that range and felt great to me. But maybe others thought it was cold? I can comfortably surf, swim, paddle when in that range especially when the sun is out. But I've been doing it my whole life and so it feels like the ocean I've always loved. By contrast, if you are used to 70s/80s, then it probably seems cold. Maybe its too late to teach an old dog new tricks or maybe you could acclimate? It probably depends if you really want to or not at this life stage closer to retirement. Walks along the beach are nice too.

Derek
Growing up I used to go in the southern coast of Sicily where the water is significantly lower than the north coast. There are some very lovely spot in southern Sicily scenery wise. I can and I did swim in colder water but I do not enjoy it.

I used to go here all the time, south coast of Sicily, "La Scala dei Turchi" (The Turkish Steps).
The gorgeous scenery compensated the colder water!

Old 12-18-2023, 12:07 PM

1,683 posts, read 2,704,775 times
That's gorgeous, Saturno! Wish we had that in the US. We have many beautiful places, but none that capture all those elements in one place.

Old 12-18-2023, 02:03 PM

Wow, color and clarity of that water is amazing. It makes me want to take a vacation to Sicily just to swim and paddleboard out there!

When people move to the US from such beautiful places such as Costa Rica, Portugal, Spain, Sicily, New Zealand, etc... I can't help but wonder why not retire there instead? I mean there are lots of expats who either move abroad for retirement or have a second home there. That way they maintain a connection with family in the states while enjoying these other beautiful locations. Portugal is a top retirement location for expats, for example.

Derek

Old 12-18-2023, 04:54 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
MtnSurfer, did you go to Panana City Beach? I love that place, or at least I used to. I remember beautiful sand beaches, water as warm as a baby bath, & porpoises (or were they dolphins?)

Old 12-18-2023, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
MtnSurfer, did you go to Panana City Beach? I love that place, or at least I used to. I remember beautiful sand beaches, water as warm as a baby bath, & porpoises (or were they dolphins?)
Yes, it was beautiful, stunning in fact. I did paddle with the dolphins a bit west near Ft. Walton Beach.

Derek

Old 12-18-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
When people move to the US from such beautiful places such as Costa Rica, Portugal, Spain, Sicily, New Zealand, etc... I can't help but wonder why not retire there instead?
Well, it's complicated....I do go to Sicily every year (and sometimes twice a year) and my (American) wife is open eventually to spend 3-5 months a year there but I feel it would be too much for a cultural change for her to move there permanently.
On top of that Sicily is not exactly a well organized place, a person raised in a typical Anglo (or Nordic) environment had to deal with a lot of bureaucratic frustration, large cities tend to be dirty and traffic can be horrific. Just to give an example, walking in many sidewalk of Palermo or Catania can often be an exercise in dog poop dodging Let's say, politely, that people tend to be a bit less respectful of other people's space.
But, yes, weather is fantastic, food is incredible and locals are very friendly.
I do not exclude a little house in Sicily down the road (prices can be dirt cheap even for properties close to the beach) but not as a permanent retirement place.

Old 12-19-2023, 03:54 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Well, it's complicated....I do go to Sicily every year (and sometimes twice a year) and my (American) wife is open eventually to spend 3-5 months a year there but I feel it would be too much for a cultural change for her to move there permanently. .....
Bellingham is nice... (And thankfully closet to YVR)
If I find a central hub location in Europe, I could see mitigating 3-5 months / yr there. Airfare is ~$700, and we've done reposition cruises for even less. (USA>Mediterranean).

I'd prefer a farm villa / extra home that farmer could use 8 months / yr as B&b / agritourismo.
Then I can keep a campervan, econo-car, and motorcycle there for my use.

We did a 3 month volunteer on an island in Greece, then a month in north Macedonia this last spring. And Spain / southern france in the fall. My favorite so far is dolomites (tad chilly in winter), so we have volunteer gigs in Croatia, Albania, and eastern Poland on our list. Plus the usual Austria, Switzerland, Germany volunteer sites. Many times, it's just leisurely gardening, painting, cooking, teaching, music... A lot like retirement at home.

I have a friend trying to convince a Bellingham area camp to let us create seasonal retirement cottages. I'm all for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington