Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2021, 02:00 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,122,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote99 View Post
Mtn Surfer, these photos are so beautiful. If this is what WA is like, then I need no more convincing to pack my bags and head north!
Western WA is like that but Eastern WA has completely different scenery for the most part.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2021, 05:36 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,071,084 times
I was listening to the Vancouver CA radio station today.
They had on a dairy farmer.
These floods have really messed those guys up.
They are milking cows just to dump milk because the cows drink watering is loaded up with manure.
Cows still need to be milked even if the milk can’t be saved.

He also said the problem was much more than cows.
It destroyed tools & equipment, the poultry industry and a bunch of other farm/ranch products like beef and pork.

This covid financial crisis is no where near over and these poor souls get hit with this.

And no, I do not believe it’s just the Canadians suffering.

Old 11-17-2021, 05:59 PM

3,405 posts, read 2,731,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I was listening to the Vancouver CA radio station today.
They had on a dairy farmer.
These floods have really messed those guys up.
They are milking cows just to dump milk because the cows drink watering is loaded up with manure.
Cows still need to be milked even if the milk can’t be saved.

He also said the problem was much more than cows.
It destroyed tools & equipment, the poultry industry and a bunch of other farm/ranch products like beef and pork.

This covid financial crisis is no where near over and these poor souls get hit with this.

And no, I do not believe it’s just the Canadians suffering.
There are dairy farms all over Whatcom, Skagit, and Snohomish counties that are having issues. Seems like we saw more farmers able to move their cows to safety this time, lots of them drowned during some of the prior floods.

Old 11-17-2021, 06:10 PM

Yeah I can only get the Canadian news stations where I live so that is why I talked about the Canuks.
Figured the people from Washington got hit every bit as hard.

Old 11-17-2021, 09:01 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
We haven't had the floods in southwest WA anywhere near the extent folks are seeing it in the northern part of the state near Bellingham. That said, living near a river, on a flood plain or on the river's edge is always a risk in places like the PNW with lots of rain. So, I agree with checking the flood zone maps before moving. Maybe move up 'a little' in elevation even if just a few hundred feet. That includes the PNW coast as well due to tsunami risks. That said, many are still willing to take those risks to be close to the water's edge, some with waterfront properties. I prefer to 'visit' the ocean, lakes and rivers vs. living right on them. Though I'm sure they are enjoyable to experience during normal times unlike now. Even when I lived blocks from the ocean, I was on a hill called 'Dunecrest.' Folks used to talk about tsunami risk and it was always nice to be higher up a bit from the water. You could sleep better at night that way.

Here are a few pics from Vancouver WA today which was mostly sunny though more brisk (upper 40s) and breezy than yesterday (upper 50s).

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 11-17-2021 at 09:33 PM..

Old 11-17-2021, 09:20 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,691,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote99 View Post
Mtn Surfer, these photos are so beautiful. If this is what WA is like, then I need no more convincing to pack my bags and head north!
To be fair, we get our share of mixed weather in WA including many days of clouds and rain in row without the sun during the colder months. But when the sun does come out during these late fall and winter months, it's glorious and truly makes you appreciate it even more vs. living somewhere that is always blue skies and sunny. Too much sun with little to no rain can become boring, oppressive and get old as well like where we've lived in CA. Even places like CO had too much sun for our liking. Though it was colder overall except during summer. Bottom line is that every place has trade-offs in terms of climate. But the PNW is truly a beautiful place to enjoy if you can live with some rain and clouds in between. And some days have it all: rain, hail, clouds and sun!

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 11-17-2021 at 09:34 PM..

Old 11-18-2021, 10:33 AM

Cleaning up after the storm.
I had 3 cart loads for the burn pile.
Attached Thumbnails
Washington Weather - Daily Weather pics and reports!-158874b7-18b7-4043-811b-be9b216594ed.jpeg   Washington Weather - Daily Weather pics and reports!-2840508d-566d-42d2-a9db-a46909d9535e.jpeg  

Old 11-18-2021, 01:14 PM

179 posts, read 111,031 times
Mech Andy, where in WA are you? We are returning in winter to look at more areas and your photos are always so nice. We are starting in Portland and driving north, flying out of Seattle or Bellingham. We already have Camas and Vancouver on the agenda.

Old 11-18-2021, 01:29 PM

I am in unincorporated Clallam county somewhat near Sequim.
Our area is very nice but it’s not for everyone because it is secluded and does lack some of the things people take for granted.
Typical trade off things but I dig it .

Old 11-18-2021, 02:56 PM

179 posts, read 111,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I am in unincorporated Clallam county somewhat near Sequim.
Our area is very nice but it’s not for everyone because it is secluded and does lack some of the things people take for granted.
Typical trade off things but I dig it .
Good to know, thank you!! We are looking for the basic amenities, grocery stores (preferably a safeway or walmart/costco), gas stations, a kaiser, parks, stuff for kids to do, good schools...restaurant variety and boutique shopping are not priorities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington