Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2024, 01:46 PM

14,489 posts, read 12,121,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
9mm was a popular military round , not because it was a good man stopper but because being such a high speed round it tended to wound more than kill.

a wound soldier slows the enemy down , it takes resources to care for them and ties up transportation vehicles .

so the military objective was to wound more then kill as 9mm can stink at that .

I have heard that.... a kill takes out one soldier out of the fight. A wound takes out three.

Course that's not usually the issue in home defense, as you explained earlier! But interesting in the big picture.

If I had bigger hands, I'd shoot a .45. I think it's the perfect self defense weapon. Unfortunately, it's not the right gun for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 01:49 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I have heard that.... a kill takes out one soldier out of the fight. A wound takes out three.

Course that's not usually the issue in home defense, as you explained earlier! But interesting in the big picture.
home defense requires a lot of ballistic energy to disrupt the nervous system unless it’s a head or spine shot .good luck with that while shaking like a leaf

for best results it requires larger calibers and slower rounds so .45 at about 850 ft per sec is tops

.357 is a close second .

likely a .40 is next .

after that you take greater risks they won’t stop the attack fast enough .

Old 03-12-2024, 01:53 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The instructor said a 22 wasn’t powerful enough for home defense. Those were easy to load!
He was correct.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We actually have one because my honey hunts. What is the recoil like on your shoulder? What’s wrong with my instructor?
If you hold it correctly you will be fine. Considering anxiety and adrenallin if you think you have a situation - jam the stock into the wall.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
If you hold it correctly you will be fine. Considering anxiety and adrenallin if you think you have a situation - jam the stock into the wall.
pretty hard checking out the house taking a wall with you ha ha

Old 03-12-2024, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as pointed out many times by trainers the shotgun comes with lots of bad myths and poor tactics .

Yes, every American who has ever watched an action movie knows the sound of a shotgun slide being racked. but are you going to bet your life the drug addict who has come into your home with a pistol who is planning on doing you , your wife or kids harm is going to hear the scary sound while high and pay attention ? they don't even realize they have been shot most of the time . so what chance does a noise have .

The other problem is you have to be close enough to your threat for them to hear you.

Racking the slide will pop the round out of the chamber .

You are basically walking into a danger zone with an unloaded weapon. The usual response to this is, “I’m real quick with racking the slide. It won’t matter'

this is more mental masturbation because they lack realistic training to do so under pressure and with the loss of find motor skills .

In all honesty, you will not rack the slide quick enough. You will only rise to the level of training you have mastered.

I have never seen any training methods where you practice sneaking up on a criminal with an unloaded gun and make a scary noise .

or the person says they will have the shotgun loaded, but will rack it again when they get close.

I can’t even begin to know why any person in their right mind would take a live shell out of the chamber of a weapon, giving them one fewer round to protect his or her life in order to make a scary noise.

Scary noises are not a good tactic for saving your life, just like a rape whistle will never replace a gun. Arrive to the fight ready to fight, not with a scary noise making device.

With due respect - I will stick with my Mossberg. We know each other well. Go to SASS and check what old ladies can do:>)

Old 03-12-2024, 01:58 PM

Quote:
With due respect - I will stick with my Mossberg. We know each other well. Go to SASS and check what old ladies can do:>)
sass isn’t the typical person with a firearm in their home

Old 03-12-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I don't seem to be strong enough to slide a hand gun. A revolver is easier for me. And I'm getting my Mom's 16gauge shot gun. Dad has some revolvers, I need to practice with. He is 95 and has a ton of guns and is a custom knife maker. I do want a couple of guns,my brother will get the rest and I will get a safe. He has 2. I'll try sliding a hand gun, to see if I can do it quickly. I'm 71 F. Not as strong as I was, due to rotator cuff complicated surgery, full range on motion but not good on strength.
Anyone who knows what they are doing will take the revolver away from you if they get close enough.

Old 03-12-2024, 02:00 PM

Long arms are only recommended from a stationary position for civilians ….they are not what you want to use to walk around the house checking out noises , turning corners in the house. , or rounding up family members or opening the front door

They are best used from a safe room behind cover .

They are extremely easy to have leveraged away when that barrel is grabbed .

They are near impossible to dial a phone with while keeping a bad guy covered .

They are way over penetrating and can hit family members .

Shotguns can also have a lot of recoil and at close range the spread of shot is barely as wide as a cigarette pack so missing is easy for a shaking scared civilian .

They can be extremely difficult to use if an arm is injured ..

Old 03-12-2024, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Anyone who knows what they are doing will take the revolver away from you if they get close enough.
with a long arm , leverage ain’t your friend . even someone who doesn’t know what they are doing can leverage a long arm away easily .

my tiny wife was trained to do it in one day

which is why hand guns and long arms have different rolls to play and should never be an either or choice

there is a reason that tactical teams have an assortment of firearms and a guy with a shotgun never goes in by himself even if a professional
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement