Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 12:46 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
What happens if there are multiple home invaders? Do you want to take the chance of having to reload your 6 shooter? I’d rather be prepared than run short, but YMMV.
it hasn’t been an issue , read the info i posted .

flite tends to kick in most of the time after two shots.

not even any recorded instances of drivers or lookouts acting as reinforcements.

we tend to visualize a whole lot more in our heads happening then actually plays out once a trigger is pulled .

odds of needing even 5 rounds in a home situation has just really not happened even with multiple perps since they will either shoot you in a nano second or they all run when first shots are sent

https://easttexaskravmaga.net/firear...ired%20was%202.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-12-2024 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 12:52 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
What happens if there are multiple home invaders? Do you want to take the chance of having to reload your 6 shooter? I’d rather be prepared than run short, but YMMV.

I don't think people would turn down more bullets in a pinch, but I think the statistics show that most of the kinds of people breaking into a home are not there for a shootout, they're there for an easy target. Most victims in home defense situations don't need to reload.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:55 PM

it is a choice between more bullets or more simplicity and less chance of malfunction under pressure with a revolver.

limp wristing and forgetting safety’s can be a huge problem area with semi autos

Old 03-12-2024, 12:58 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
I have a Smith & Wesson "Lady-Smith" .38 revolver, which is a short-barrel 5-shot revolver made from a lightweight alloy and has small handgrips appropriate to my small hands. I like it a lot, but the shape is not the easiest to carry in a pocket or purse. I also have a Ruger LCP II .380. It's small and flat and easy to carry in a pocket. It's a little hard for me to operate the slide, but it's breaking in and getting easier with practice. The only negative is there is no safety on this one. Allegedly it's a "safety trigger" but it makes me nervous to carry it with a shell in the barrel, and fumbling with the slide in an emergency is not a good plan. They don't have to be particularly accurate since I will only be shooting at something <6-8 feet away. I have no intentions of shooting at something that is not imminently threatening my safety.

Last edited by TheShadow; 03-12-2024 at 01:15 PM..

Old 03-12-2024, 01:00 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,744,154 times
Quote:
I think the sound of the first shot or two will scare off the other invaders. Not many people run towards the sound of gunfire. Maybe people in movies, but not real life.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:01 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
number of rounds really isn’t a factor in home defense for the most part . there are no shootouts at the ok coral

In an analysis, 482 firearms self-defense incidents were examined. All involved the use of firearms by private citizens in self defense or defense of others. No law enforcement related incidents were included.

Where did it Happen?

The majority of incidents (52%) took place in the home. Next most common locale (32%) was in a business. Incidents took place in public places in 9% of reports and 7% occurred in or around vehicles. The most common initial crimes were armed robbery (32%), home invasion (30%), and burglary (18%).

How Many Shots were Fired?

Overall, shots were fired by the defender in 72% of incidents. The average and median number of shots fired was 2. When more than 2 shots were fired, it generally appeared that the defender’s initial response was to fire until empty.

What Firearm was Used?

Handguns were used in 78% of incidents while long guns were used in 13%; in the balance the type of firearm was not reported. The most common size of handgun was the .35 caliber family (.38, .357, 9mm) at 61%, with most .38s apparently being of the 5 shot variety. Mouse-guns (.380s and below) were at 23%, and .40 caliber and up at 15%.

Distances Incident and location of Firearm

The range of most incidents appears to be short but in excess of touching distance. It appears that most defenders will make the shoot decision shortly before the criminal comes within arm’s length. Defenders frequently communicate with their attackers before shooting.

The firearm was carried on the body of the defender in only 20% of incidents. In 80% of cases, the firearm was obtained from a place of storage, frequently in another room.

Reloading was required in only 3 incidents. One of those involved killing an escaped lion with a .32 caliber revolver, which was eventually successful after 13 shots.

https://easttexaskravmaga.net/firear...ired%20was%202.

Those are good points, you;re right, I highly doubt I'd need to reload, or have time to actually.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:02 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
The OP was looking for a pistol that's easy to rack and load. The EZ fits the bill there.

Personally, I prefer my .300 BLK pistol with arm brace. Suppressed and loaded subsonic, it's easier on the ears.

Standard cap mag so you don't run out.
The security .380 is easy to rack ( one of its selling points). It’s not a whole lot different than the EZ ( I have a lot of experience shooting both). One major difference is that the security .380 has a double stacked magazine and holds twice as much ammo. Either can be loaded easier with a speed loader.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:06 PM

we had a fellow poster in the chicago forum become a victim of a attempted robbery and car jacking .

multiple armed perps were involved .

victim was armed ..

but victim was in the bad position of being enclosed in the car .

it was a bad situation to defend against .

he was hurt pretty bad and posted the photos of the event

i asked him if he got any shots off . he said he was hit 4 times and got off a few shots but it was all over very quickly and he isn’t sure where his rounds went

so this is pretty typical where even with multiple attackers more rounds didn’t matter . as typically happens everyone scatters after the first seconds of any shooting

how we train is how we fight .

without constant drills , reaction time is going to be way to slow . you first have to process your response and think about what and how you will act .

you need to be on autopilot in these kinds of situations .

reaction time can be faster than the action time of the bad guys but only when training over and over .

we learned that very early on in combat training .

https://www.city-data.com/forum/chic...arjacking.html

487 posts, read 536,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
The OP was looking for a pistol that's easy to rack and load. The EZ fits the bill there.

Personally, I prefer my .300 BLK pistol with arm brace. Suppressed and loaded subsonic, it's easier on the ears.

Standard cap mag so you don't run out.
OP's State of residence will be a factor if they're allowed braced/AR style pistols and mags > 10 rounds.

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I have a Smith & Wesson "Lady-Smith" revolver, which is a short-barrel 5-shot revolver made from a lightweight alloy and has small handgrips appropriate to my small hands. I like it a lot, but the shape is not the easiest to carry in a pocket or purse. I also have a Ruger LCP II .380. It's small and flat and easy to carry in a pocket. It's a little hard for me to operate the slide, but it's breaking in and getting easier with practice. The only negative is there is no safety on this one. Allegedly it's a "safety trigger" but it makes me nervous to carry it with a shell in the barrel, and fumbling with the slide in an emergency is not a good plan. They don't have to be particularly accurate since I will only be shooting at something <6-8 feet away. I have no intentions of shooting at something that is not imminently threatening my safety.

Do you find the short, light revolver moves more when you shoot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement