Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 12:23 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
Consider an S&W EZ in .380. Wifey had difficulty with racking but the EZ version was ok.

Hornady critical duty ammo works well in .380
I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo in my .380. The Smith is an ok gat, but it only holds 8 rounds as opposed to 15 in the mag and one in the pipe for my Security .380
Plus…the EZ is about $100.00 more than the Ruger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 12:24 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Semiautos by design have to have a large grip to accommodate the magazine.

Revolvers have many more grip size and shape options to choose from that might fit your hands better. What might help is to go where grips are sold and try a few in your hands. Grips made from wood or rubber... With finger "grooves" or without them... larger or smaller. Custom grips can be made to fit you. Way more options.

For home defense, I'd recommend a mid size (4-6 inch) target revolver like a Smith&Wesson Model 19 in .357 caliber for it's weight, options in load power, and options in grip size. This was the first gun my dad bought for me as a young adult, and is still my favorite 36 years later. It is a bit too big for concealed carry, but good for home defense and target shooting as comfortably as you can. Smaller and lighter guns will kick more and be harder to control your targeting with when shooting. In this, the bigger the better, within reason. And important for your comfort, a .357 can shoot .38 caliber bullets which have plenty of stopping power but less kick than .357 magnums, if you have trouble with more powerful loads, especially when practicing.

A long day of shooting would be fatiguing on thumbs with any powerful gun, obviously this will not be as much of a concern in an actual defense situation. Many people practice with .38s for comfort and cost savings, but load it with .357 for defense.
It was only an hour long lesson, lol. But I have had injections in both thumbs due to arthritis and both are weak. It was hard pushing the 9mm into the magazine. Where do 38’s fall in compared to 9mm in terms of stopping power?

I hate having to make a decision yet because I still need a lot of practice mostly getting comfortable with guns. I had to force myself not to jump when someone else in the range was shooting! But my purchase permit is only good for 2 more months so I need to figure it out.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:27 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
for someone who doesn’t train , a revolver is hard to beat for simplicity and lack of jams

This. And ease of cleaning. Some semiautos are quite difficult to take apart for cleaning and put back together.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:28 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
This. And ease of cleaning. Some semiautos are quite difficult to take apart for cleaning and put back together.
Yes she did mention that aspect too. It just seems like more people want the semiautomatic so I didn’t want to decide too quickly especially when I’m so new.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:30 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo in my .380. The Smith is an ok gat, but it only holds 8 rounds as opposed to 15 in the mag and one in the pipe for my Security .380
number of rounds really isn’t a factor in home defense for the most part . there are no shootouts at the ok coral

In an analysis, 482 firearms self-defense incidents were examined. All involved the use of firearms by private citizens in self defense or defense of others. No law enforcement related incidents were included.

Where did it Happen?

The majority of incidents (52%) took place in the home. Next most common locale (32%) was in a business. Incidents took place in public places in 9% of reports and 7% occurred in or around vehicles. The most common initial crimes were armed robbery (32%), home invasion (30%), and burglary (18%).

How Many Shots were Fired?

Overall, shots were fired by the defender in 72% of incidents. The average and median number of shots fired was 2. When more than 2 shots were fired, it generally appeared that the defender’s initial response was to fire until empty.

What Firearm was Used?

Handguns were used in 78% of incidents while long guns were used in 13%; in the balance the type of firearm was not reported. The most common size of handgun was the .35 caliber family (.38, .357, 9mm) at 61%, with most .38s apparently being of the 5 shot variety. Mouse-guns (.380s and below) were at 23%, and .40 caliber and up at 15%.

Distances Incident and location of Firearm

The range of most incidents appears to be short but in excess of touching distance. It appears that most defenders will make the shoot decision shortly before the criminal comes within arm’s length. Defenders frequently communicate with their attackers before shooting.

The firearm was carried on the body of the defender in only 20% of incidents. In 80% of cases, the firearm was obtained from a place of storage, frequently in another room.

Reloading was required in only 3 incidents. One of those involved killing an escaped lion with a .32 caliber revolver, which was eventually successful after 13 shots.

https://easttexaskravmaga.net/firear...ired%20was%202.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-12-2024 at 12:41 PM..

Old 03-12-2024, 12:34 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It was only an hour long lesson, lol. But I have had injections in both thumbs due to arthritis and both are weak. It was hard pushing the 9mm into the magazine. Where do 38’s fall in compared to 9mm in terms of stopping power?
.38 has more stopping power and is a bit larger bullet. Defense rounds (soft hollow points and fancier) can be purchased to maximize their effectiveness. For comfort shooting, I find them equivalent when shooting a lighter 9mm versus my Model 19 .357 (with .38 loads) because the more comfortable grips fit me better (I have really small hands) and the heavier frame of the .357 can absorb more of the kick, sending less of a shock to my hands.

Quote:
I hate having to make a decision yet because I still need a lot of practice mostly getting comfortable with guns. I had to force myself not to jump when someone else in the range was shooting! But my purchase permit is only good for 2 more months so I need to figure it out.
Good luck. Hopefully you will find something that is comfortable enough and natural enough in your hands that when it matters, you won't even think about these things.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:35 PM

487 posts, read 536,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Did you have issues loading each round or only the last couple into the magazine? The last one or two will be the hardest. If only the last one or two then leave them out, esp in a full sized frame gun (loading 15 rnds in a 17 rnd mag).

Try a couple more guns out at the range. A .380 in a subcompact such as a LCP or BodyGuard may feel more snappy than a fullsized 9mm. Find something that fits your hand and you're willing to practice with. The troubles with loading a magazine is definitely a wildcard.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:41 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
number of rounds really isn’t a factor in home defense for the most part . there are no shootouts at the ok coral

In an analysis, 482 firearms self-defense incidents were examined. All involved the use of firearms by private citizens in self defense or defense of others. No law enforcement related incidents were included.

Where did it Happen?

The majority of incidents (52%) took place in the home. Next most common locale (32%) was in a business. Incidents took place in public places in 9% of reports and 7% occurred in or around vehicles. The most common initial crimes were armed robbery (32%), home invasion (30%), and burglary (18%).

Overall, shots were fired by the defender in 72% of incidents. The average and median number of shots fired was 2. When more than 2 shots were fired, it generally appeared that the defender’s initial response was to fire until empty.

What Firearm was Used?

Handguns were used in 78% of incidents while long guns were used in 13%; in the balance the type of firearm was not reported. The most common size of handgun was the .35 caliber family (.38, .357, 9mm) at 61%, with most .38s apparently being of the 5 shot variety. Mouse-guns (.380s and below) were at 23%, and .40 caliber and up at 15%.

The range of most incidents appears to be short but in excess of touching distance. It appears that most defenders will make the shoot decision shortly before the criminal comes within arm’s length. Defenders frequently communicate with their attackers before shooting.

The firearm was carried on the body of the defender in only 20% of incidents. In 80% of cases, the firearm was obtained from a place of storage, frequently in another room.

Reloading was required in only 3 incidents. One of those involved killing an escaped lion with a .32 caliber revolver, which was eventually successful after 13 shots.

more interesting facts

How many attackers were involved?

Multiple conspirators were involved in 36% of the incidents. However, there are no apparent cases of drivers or lookouts acting as reinforcements for the criminal actor(s) once shooting starts. Immediate flight is the most common response for drivers and lookouts at the sound of gunfire.

The largest group of violent criminal actors was 7, who committed serial home invasions in Rochester NY. An alert and prepared homeowner dispatched them (2 killed and 1 seriously wounded) with a shotgun when they broke in his door.

Amount of time to React to the Attack

Incidents rarely occurred in reaction time (i.e., ¼ second increments). Most commonly, criminals acted in a shark-like fashion, slowly circling and alerting their intended victims. The defender(s) then had time to access even weapons that were stored in other rooms and bring them to bear.

After Shots were fired, What Happened?

The most common responses of criminals upon being shot were to flee immediately or expire. With few exceptions, criminals ceased their advances immediately upon being shot. Even mouse-guns displayed a significant degree of immediate lethality (30% immediate one shot kills) when employed at close range. Many criminal actors vocally expressed their fear of being shot when the defender displayed a weapon.

Upon the criminals’ flight, the “victims” frequently chased and captured or shot the criminals and held them for the authorities.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:42 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Quote:

Where did it Happen?

What Firearm was Used?

What happens if there are multiple home invaders? Do you want to take the chance of having to reload your 6 shooter? I’d rather be prepared than run short, but YMMV.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:43 PM

313 posts, read 179,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
The OP was looking for a pistol that's easy to rack and load. The EZ fits the bill there.

Personally, I prefer my .300 BLK pistol with arm brace. Suppressed and loaded subsonic, it's easier on the ears.

Standard cap mag so you don't run out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement