Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2024, 02:23 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
An LEO friend of mine once told me a .22 is the worst gun to be shot with, because the bullet doesn't exit. It bounces around in your body, hitting more than one organ. It doesn't have the stopping power of a bigger caliber, but if you hit the torso, the guy is eventually going to die.
Just not fast enough to save your life in a critical situation

But, your LEO friend's answer was why the mob used ti use 22's for close assassinations. They would get close, shoot someone in the back of the head and the bullet would bounce around within the skull and scramble their brain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2024, 02:28 PM

7,737 posts, read 3,778,838 times
Wow. 530+ posts.

Old 03-22-2024, 02:33 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Wow. 530+ posts.
Yes, I’m trying to keep up with it and I apologize if I haven’t responded to all posts, but I do appreciate all of them!

Old 03-22-2024, 05:01 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, and also I don’t know how religiously I’d want to take a semi apart and clean it. Do they have to be cleaned after every practice?

I clean mine every time I practice but that's just me. It can seem a little intimidating at first but cleaning a semi isn't hard at all-there's a million videos on You Tube that how to clean any firearm (including cannons) available.

As far a revolvers go, they should be cleaned after every practice. They get dirty quickly, especially the cylinder and extractor.

https://tacticalgear.com/experts/han...-and-functions

Old 03-22-2024, 05:19 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Negligence can occur with ANY product. Regardless how safely it may be designed, there will always be some idiots who figure out a way to injure themselves, or others, with it.

Essentially, the only way that the Glock pistol will discharge is if the trigger is pulled, and in so-doing, also pull the trigger insert safety device that enables the trigger to be pulled. Dropping the Glock won't set it off. Hitting the Glock with a hammer won't set it off.

The only known way of firing the Glock unintentionally is to somehow insert something into the trigger guard which will pull the safety device and the trigger simultaneously while at the same time holding the grip/frame of the gun to provide resistance to the trigger pull.

Considering that Glock sells about ONE MILLION pistols PER YEAR in the US, it's not surprising that a handful of creative idiots will figure out a way to defeat the built-in safety design and features of the gun. There are probably more serious injuries every year from ballpoint pens and office staplers than there are from Glock pistols because surely some people will figure out a way to put their eye out or staple their finger to the table with these "dangerous" devices.

Oh, and anyone who thinks that a 1911 type Colt pistol is safer than a Glock pistol can't be playing with a full deck of cards anyway.

I'm not saying the 1911 is *safer* as such, properly handled the chances of negligent discharge with either are quite small.

The 1911 is a gun I can hit a beer can at 40 yards with offhand. Can you do that with your Glock?

Member of MENSA and senior Nuclear Engineer, so, yeah, I have all 52 cards. But do you?

Again, if you want to actually learn something rather than just be an obnoxious Glock fan boy, Google "Glock Leg".

Old 03-23-2024, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
I clean mine every time I practice but that's just me. It can seem a little intimidating at first but cleaning a semi isn't hard at all-there's a million videos on You Tube that how to clean any firearm (including cannons) available.

As far a revolvers go, they should be cleaned after every practice. They get dirty quickly, especially the cylinder and extractor.

https://tacticalgear.com/experts/han...-and-functions
Yes, I found that out last night. I rented a revolver, and the first one they gave me which was a 357, I tried to open the cylinder at the counter, and it wouldn’t open. The guy at the counter could barely get it out. So he said they had to take that gun out of rotation and clean and service it.

I had to rent a 22 revolver. But the guy at the counter said he has all his beginners start out with 22s anyway until they get more accurate and more proficient. I did have an issue, though, where one of the bullets wouldn’t fire and wouldn’t eject. I had to have the guy in the stall next to mine, help me out, and he pried it out with a pen knife. The guy at the counter, saw it on the camera, and came in to help, and he said sometimes 22s swell inside the chamber.

So that’s another issue that can come up that I was not aware could happen. I also had a hard time with the double action after the first couple of bullets, but I think I was trying to put my finger in too far, instead of just using the tip. I think next Friday I’m going to get a private lesson, I’ll just have to use one of the guys because my instructor doesn’t work on Friday.

Old 03-23-2024, 09:49 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes, I found that out last night. I rented a revolver, and the first one they gave me which was a 357, I tried to open the cylinder at the counter, and it wouldn’t open. The guy at the counter could barely get it out. So he said they had to take that gun out of rotation and clean and service it.

I had to rent a 22 revolver. But the guy at the counter said he has all his beginners start out with 22s anyway until they get more accurate and more proficient. I did have an issue, though, where one of the bullets wouldn’t fire and wouldn’t eject. I had to have the guy in the stall next to mine, help me out, and he pried it out with a pen knife. The guy at the counter, saw it on the camera, and came in to help, and he said sometimes 22s swell inside the chamber.

So that’s another issue that can come up that I was not aware could happen. I also had a hard time with the double action after the first couple of bullets, but I think I was trying to put my finger in too far, instead of just using the tip. I think next Friday I’m going to get a private lesson, I’ll just have to use one of the guys because my instructor doesn’t work on Friday.
Sounds like the revolvers they gave you had some issues.
Serious issues.

While revolvers are more tolerant of being brought home and stuck in a drawer, there are limits.

Are you able to fire in Single action mode, without any problems?
Just wondering if setting the hammer is difficult, with your thumbs?

Old 03-23-2024, 11:06 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times
I'd recommend a Smith and Wesson Pistol.

For petite women, having something small enough to point quickly is important.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Sounds like the revolvers they gave you had some issues.
Serious issues.

While revolvers are more tolerant of being brought home and stuck in a drawer, there are limits.

Are you able to fire in Single action mode, without any problems?
Just wondering if setting the hammer is difficult, with your thumbs?

I ended up shooting most of them as single round. For some reason the double action worked great for the first 2 bullets but after the first two I couldn't engage the double action again for the rest of the rounds. Setting the hammer was kind of hard, yes, but I was able to do it.

I think you might be right about the rentals not being maintained as well as they should, IDK. The guy made it sound like it was not that uncommon with 22's in revolvers.

Old 03-23-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
I'd recommend a Smith and Wesson Pistol.

For petite women, having something small enough to point quickly is important.

Is that a revolver or SA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement