Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2024, 12:51 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,265,157 times

Advertisements

As one poster already said, get a .380 M&P shield EZ. EZ to load and EZ to rack. I love mine!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2024, 01:07 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
As one poster already said, get a .380 M&P shield EZ. EZ to load and EZ to rack. I love mine!
It doesn’t have that safety you have to depress like the S&W EZ?

Old 03-19-2024, 01:13 PM

863 posts, read 795,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Get a grip, man. You can’t do it, no such official information exists because ‘wounding rather than killing’ has never been part of the US military small arms doctrine.
That is a fact, discussing it as a part of tactical discussion, or recognizing that the wounded require more resources to take care of, does not make doctrine.

No one thinks about "hey, lets just wound them", they, as the other poster said, just want to accomplish the mission, take the objective through any means necessary. And killing the enemy is the most efficient means of doing that.

And no soldier deliberately goes around killing the wounded, that is a war crime.

Old 03-19-2024, 01:20 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It doesn’t have that safety you have to depress like the S&W EZ?
It has a grip safety like the historical Browning 1911 Colt .45 ACP. If you're gripping the gun properly, the web of your hand automatically depresses the safety. That is truly an added bit of safety, but like so many other elements of handling a semi-automatic, it requires that bit more training to make sure you do it properly under stress.

I'd still recommend a revolver for you for a host of reasons that have been mentioned.

Old 03-19-2024, 02:10 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It has a grip safety like the historical Browning 1911 Colt .45 ACP. If you're gripping the gun properly, the web of your hand automatically depresses the safety. That is truly an added bit of safety, but like so many other elements of handling a semi-automatic, it requires that bit more training to make sure you do it properly under stress.

I'd still recommend a revolver for you for a host of reasons that have been mentioned.
I generally agree, but she seems to have a hard time reaching most revolver triggers in DA mode. Maybe a smaller automatic in .380 would work for her. And I somewhat hesitate to add, the Beretta Tomcat in .32 ACP has the tip up barrel so you don't have to rack it to load it, and is small all over so might fit your hands. Loaded with the Winchester Silvertip hollow point, it has a better track record (the round, not the specific gat) than you might expect. But being in NJ you can't have hollowpoints.

Last edited by M3 Mitch; 03-19-2024 at 02:19 PM..

Old 03-19-2024, 02:12 PM

14 posts, read 15,585 times
Ruger makes a .22 revolver that has two different cylinders - one for regular LR .22, and one for magnum rounds. The magnum rounds pack a punch, but it's still a super easy (single action) revolver with very little recoil. "New Model Single Six Convertible" is the name. Highly recommend. Decently long barrel for better accuracy, too (compared to a LCP, anyway). Agreed re: additional instructor; (IMO) always best to have more than one source of education, especially with this stuff.

Old 03-19-2024, 02:26 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,175,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COHeather View Post
Ruger makes a .22 revolver that has two different cylinders - one for regular LR .22, and one for magnum rounds. The magnum rounds pack a punch, but it's still a super easy (single action) revolver with very little recoil. "New Model Single Six Convertible" is the name. Highly recommend. Decently long barrel for better accuracy, too (compared to a LCP, anyway). Agreed re: additional instructor; (IMO) always best to have more than one source of education, especially with this stuff.
Fun plinker, but if this is meant for self-defense, any old-style single action revolver (with a loading gate) is not at all practical: if you actually have to reload during a defensive situation, you are going to be in a very bad situation.

For a newbie, I agree that a revolver is probably best: manual-of-arms is simplicity itself compared to a semi-auto. I would only get a snub-nosed if it was meant for concealed carry; if it's going to be used at home then a 3" or 4" barrel would make much more sense, as well as NOT getting something super lightweight.

Old 03-19-2024, 02:47 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Single-action really isn't a good choice for self-defense. In a high-stress situation you're likely to just pull the trigger, without first cocking the hammer, which won't fire the gun. Any revolver you choose really does need to be a double-action model! DA revolvers are as idiot-proof as any handgun can possibly bee, and that's what you need when it counts.
Quote:
Well, I need one with a smaller grip, then.
I will just say that almost any Double Action revolver can be used in single action mode, unless it has a concealed or bobbed hammer (meaning you can't get your thumb on the hammer). That is why I suggested steering clear of any that have a concealed or bobbed hammer.

Quote:
I'm going to see if they have a rental revolver with smaller grip on Friday. If I could have gotten my finger in farther I could have done it, it wasn't about strength as much as reach. I wouldn't want to have the EZ in emergency situation because especially if hands are sweaty, I don't have 100% confidence I'd be able to depress the safety in a panic situation.
That sounds sensible.

As for the EZ and similar pistols, I don't know why they decided to add things like a grip safety. Your best safety is your own common sense (and following the rules that someone posted near the beginning of this thread).

Old 03-19-2024, 03:49 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Just get a 38 snub nose.

Old 03-19-2024, 04:11 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Just get a 38 snub nose.
I would agree. In her situation, I'd get one in .357 magnum (for the bit of added heft to absorb recoil) and load it with .38 Speclal. My wife and daughter (who has very tiny hands) both shoot those with a rubber Crimson Trace laser grips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement