Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2024, 08:27 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times

Advertisements

Check out the Sig Sauer P365 in .380. They have a manual safety version available. They also have an option available for an optic if your eyesight makes it difficult to pick up the dots on the iron sights.

For easy loading, check these out: https://www.maglula.com/product-cate...l-mag-loaders/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 08:55 PM

5,961 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Check out the Sig Sauer P365 in .380. They have a manual safety version available. They also have an option available for an optic if your eyesight makes it difficult to pick up the dots on the iron sights.

For easy loading, check these out: https://www.maglula.com/product-cate...l-mag-loaders/
Yep, I've got one of those. It sure makes it easy loading the magazines on a variety of pistols I've got from 9mm, to .40 S&W, to .45 ACP. Very handy little device.

Old 03-20-2024, 10:53 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
Have you tried using a speed loader to assist with loading a magazine? To may help alleviate some of the thumb issues you're encountering.
....or a Maglula Uplula loader for magazines.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:40 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I would advise people to try to avoid buying a firearm with such an infernal "safety" device.

(And I realize that is easier said than done.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
It's not difficult at all. Of the 8 handguns that I own,
The selection had already been narrowed to small frame 380 or 9mm pistols with an "eazy" to rack slide (or a tip up slide).

Of the pistols in that range, most of the ones I have seen have a grip safety.

I wish it were otherwise.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:21 AM

Quote:
The selection had already been narrowed to small frame 380 or 9mm pistols with an "eazy" to rack slide (or a tip up slide).

Of the pistols in that range, most of the ones I have seen have a grip safety.

I wish it were otherwise.
If a 9mm is still under consideration, then a very simple one that's easy to operate and has a single stack magazine (meaning that the grip is not excessively wide) is the Ruger LC9s or LC9s Pro. I have the Pro model. The Pro model has NO external safety yet is a safe gun to carry or for home use.

It also has a relatively light trigger pull. I don't recall the exact trigger pull weight, but I'd estimate around 6 pounds which is pretty easy. The trigger pull is also quite smooth. Amazingly, the felt recoil is quite light for a fairly lightweight gun. It's my favorite carry piece, but I wouldn't hesitate to rely on it for home defense as well, although I do prefer a higher capacity magazine for home defense.

Since I have numerous guns to choose from, I can have a favorite carry gun and ALSO have a different gun for home defense. Or, for that matter, have SEVERAL guns for home defense. There's no law that says you can't have 2 or 3 or a half dozen loaded guns for self-defense if you want. At least, there's no law like that in Florida.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:29 AM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
If a 9mm is still under consideration, then a very simple one that's easy to operate and has a single stack magazine (meaning that the grip is not excessively wide) is the Ruger LC9s or LC9s Pro. I have the Pro model. The Pro model has NO external safety yet is a safe gun to carry or for home use.

It also has a relatively light trigger pull. I don't recall the exact trigger pull weight, but I'd estimate around 6 pounds which is pretty easy. The trigger pull is also quite smooth. Amazingly, the felt recoil is quite light for a fairly lightweight gun. It's my favorite carry piece, but I wouldn't hesitate to rely on it for home defense as well, although I do prefer a higher capacity magazine for home defense.

Since I have numerous guns to choose from, I can have a favorite carry gun and ALSO have a different gun for home defense. Or, for that matter, have SEVERAL guns for home defense. There's no law that says you can't have 2 or 3 or a half dozen loaded guns for self-defense if you want. At least, there's no law like that in Florida.

I've got a prejudice against guns with light trigger pulls (five pounds is my breakpoint) and no manual safety. A factory 1911 has a 5-pound trigger pull, and nobody carries one of those cocked and unlocked.

Old 03-21-2024, 12:19 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
I am not sure if she could handle a 9mm without substantially more weight (LCP or LC9 weigh about 9 oz), but the main fail here is the strength to rack the slide. Frankly, this pistol sounds perfect for me. (I am getting on in the years, but can still make my hands do what needs to be done.)

We will know more, this weekend, after she gets back from the range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I've got a prejudice against guns with light trigger pulls (five pounds is my breakpoint) and no manual safety. A factory 1911 has a 5-pound trigger pull, and nobody carries one of those cocked and unlocked.
I can see your point. When I carry, I carry condition 3, so that is my "safety" but it does require me to rack the slide under duress.

Thankfully, we are talking about a nightstand gun, so I don't see a problem leaving it condition 1 until needed. (In a locked container, of course) The joker in the deck for this: she lives in NJ, and it was stated earlier that ammo had to be separated from the gun. It was later discussed, that might not be a requirement, after all.

Old 03-21-2024, 12:20 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
I am not sure if she could handle a 9mm without substantially more weight (LCP or LC9 weigh about 9 oz), but the main fail here is the strength to rack the slide. Frankly, this pistol sounds perfect for me. (I am getting on in the years, but can still make my hands do what needs to be done.)

I can see your point. When I carry, I carry condition 3, so that is my "safety" but it does require me to rack the slide under duress.

Thankfully, we are talking about a nightstand gun, so I don't see a problem leaving it condition 1 until needed. (In a locked container, of course) The joker in the deck for this: she lives in NJ, and it was stated earlier that ammo had to be separated from the gun. It was later discussed, that might not be a requirement, after all.
Yes I have to look over the laws more carefully.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The Ruger LC9s is neither single action nor double action. It's like the Glock in that it is striker fired, and the striker at rest is in a sort of "half c*cked" position. This means that at rest, there is not enough stored energy in the striker to fire the round, but it is "partially" c*cked which reduces the amount of trigger pull that the user needs to provide to fire the round.

This way, you can have light to moderate trigger pulls with no danger of the gun going off from being dropped, bumped, hit or whatever. It's the best of both worlds, IMO, as far as trigger pull and safety are concerned. You don't have to sacrifice safety in order to achieve a decent trigger pull. If it were UNsafe, there is no way that Glock would have sold many MILLIONS of the same type guns in the US.

Old 03-21-2024, 01:59 PM

Quote:

The Ruger LC9s or LC9s Pro weigh about 17 ounces empty. Add another 3 to 4 ounces for the fully loaded gun and you've got about 20 to 21 ounces. That's not a featherweight, but I wouldn't consider it heavy either since I've got some handguns that weigh double that amount EMPTY.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement