Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2024, 01:25 PM

50,716 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Glock pistols come with a magazine loading tool that makes loading rounds into the magazine very easy.

As I’ve addressed previously, a properly lubed Glock is unlikely to jam. If it is a rental, please ask the gun shop employee to lube it for you. It you still get malfunctions, it’s almost certainly being caused by limp wristing - an issue that can be resolved through training.

If you are with an instructor and the gun jams, have the instructor shoot it. If it jams with you, but not them, limp wristing is the likely culprit.
Ok, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2024, 01:29 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I only tried one revolver so far, with the instructor. Why are you hesitant to mention the Beretta?
Quote:
I won't try to speak for Mitch, but I believe the Tomcat has been discontinued.
I thought it was his post, but apparently someone else recently told me, the ammo is a bit hard to find.

One thing about 38+P ammo, it is pretty easy to find, and not too expensive.

Old 03-20-2024, 02:25 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I only tried one revolver so far, with the instructor. Why are you hesitant to mention the Beretta?
Well I hesitate to recommend any .32 ACP, particularly when you can't use hollowpoint ammo there in NJ. The Tomcat is a nice little gat, high quality, but the power of this round is marginal. It's also a small pistol, with a short sight radius, so harder to get good accuracy.

Old 03-20-2024, 02:32 PM

Quote:
I won't try to speak for Mitch, but I believe the Tomcat has been discontinued.
If the Tomcat has been discontinued, no big deal, there were a lot of them made, OP can find one used if that's where she wants to go. I have to say that any .32 ACP is less power than I would recommend, but they are easy to control, and the size of the gat is good for small hands with limited strength.

As Dr. Thomas Sowell said in a different context, there are no solutions, there are only tradeoffs. It would be nice to have a very small gun that's still easy to shoot accurately, that does not kick much but hits the target hard. But both of these pairs of desiderata are in tension with each other.

Old 03-20-2024, 03:31 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Glock pistols come with a magazine loading tool that makes loading rounds into the magazine very easy.

As I’ve addressed previously, a properly lubed Glock is unlikely to jam. If it is a rental, please ask the gun shop employee to lube it for you. It you still get malfunctions, it’s almost certainly being caused by limp wristing - an issue that can be resolved through training.

If you are with an instructor and the gun jams, have the instructor shoot it. If it jams with you, but not them, limp wristing is the likely culprit.
I suspect limp-wristing.

Revolvers are not subject to limp-wristing.

Old 03-20-2024, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I suspect limp-wristing.

Revolvers are not subject to limp-wristing.
With small hands and not much grip strength, the OP might essentially be limp-wristing involuntarily.

By all means try to get some better grip strength built up, but a full size Glock might just be too large for her to grip it well enough to get reliable function.

Truth that revolvers are not affected by a weak grip, up to the point it recoils out of your hand.

Old 03-20-2024, 05:07 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,219,447 times
Don't limit yourself to just handguns. AR style pistols (Large Format Pistols) don't generally jamb, don't have much of a kick and are pretty straight forward. They come in a variety of calibers and are small and light enough that a person's size is immaterial. You can also customize the heck out of them.

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/b...he-difference/

Old 03-20-2024, 07:20 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post

John Moses Browning including a grip safety in his 1911 pistol design of the same name. (1911) back in 1911. This "infernal "safety" device has been in continuous use for 113 years by millions of civilians and militaries around the world, and production continues to this day.

Nothing infernal about it. Nothing wrong about it.

65% of the Law Enforcement agencies in the US use the Glock handgun as their standard issue sidearm and it has no grip safety. Are these police agencies issuing UNSAFE firearms to their people?

The Beretta M9 is the official handgun of the US Armed Forces and it doesn't have a grip safety. Is the US Armed Forces issuing unsafe firearms to their troops?

Hypothetically, if one gun had 6 different safeties and another gun had only 5 safeties, would that mean that the gun with only 5 safeties is UNSAFE?

Perhaps our militaries and law enforcement agencies have become a bit more realistic concerning the subject of safety devices on firearms in the past 113 years.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Firing when the trigger is pulled, is what a good firearm does.

From an engineering POV, it has been my experience that each "improvement" in safety reduces two things.

One is the ease of use, of the item, and the other is the use of grey matter in the user's head.

End result is a less useful item, and no real improvement in safety.

But, enough philosophy, from a legal POV, taping down the safety could have legal consequences. Not sure how a hostile attorney might play this, but I am sure they would find a way to claim that taping down the safety amounts to premeditated desire to shoot somebody.

I would advise people to try to avoid buying a firearm with such an infernal "safety" device.

(And I realize that is easier said than done.)
It's not difficult at all. Of the 8 handguns that I own, only one has a grip safety... and that's the .45 ACP military pistol that I have. I bought it just because I wanted a .45 ACP, not because it had a grip safety.

Old 03-20-2024, 07:34 PM

Just wanted to post Post #500 in a thread. That's all.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement