Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2024, 03:51 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Ease of the range is a vital factor for constant practice and constant practice is vital.
I agree. However constant is a flexible term. For your mission, a monthly trip to the range is reasonable, but for the OP's mission, constant practice might be a couple times a year.

That said, back in post #123, an organization was mentioned with chapter's local to the OP.
Still a good idea to contact them. They may know of better or more convenient ranges.

(I thought there were other organizations mentioned, also, but I can't find those posts.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
...Certainly, the intimidation factor of looking at a 12 gauge muzzle and noting a laser spot on your chest (or crotch'!) would get the most hardened criminal thinking.
Most of the hardened criminals I have encountered were more into doing, less into thinking. (One even told a woman, while discreetly displaying a 38, that he was going to kill her, and he did this in front of multiple cops. Talk about not thinking.)

Quote:
This month's American Rifleman has an article on the Kel-Tec .410 bullpup shotgun, it holds quite a few rounds and there is more and more good defensive ammo out there for the .410. ...
A 410 bullpup would be a fantastic home defense firearm, if it does turn out to be reliable. That will be for some day in the future, however, when it has proven itself. Not only that, but there has been a shortage of 410 defensive ammo, for the past several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 03:59 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
A 410 bullpup would be a fantastic home defense firearm, if it does turn out to be reliable. That will be for some day in the future, however, when it has proven itself. Not only that, but there has been a shortage of 410 defensive ammo, for the past several years.
I have not seen any on a shelf around here since the covid lockdown. They may get some in, but it doesn't last long enough for me to see it.

Old 03-25-2024, 04:08 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I have not seen any on a shelf around here since the covid lockdown. They may get some in, but it doesn't last long enough for me to see it.
They are currently available at multiple online retailers.

Old 03-25-2024, 04:37 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
They are currently available at multiple online retailers.
Yeah, that's how I've been getting .38 special for my wife and daughter. But I'm still calling it a shortage when I can't walk into the local stores and see common rounds on the shelves.

Old 03-25-2024, 04:47 PM

10,704 posts, read 5,651,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Yeah, that's how I've been getting .38 special for my wife and daughter. But I'm still calling it a shortage when I can't walk into the local stores and see common rounds on the shelves.
Oh, I absolutely agree.

If I didn't reload everything and had to rely on buying retail, I don’t know what I’d do. . .

Old 03-25-2024, 04:53 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
I agree. However constant is a flexible term. For your mission, a monthly trip to the range is reasonable, but for the OP's mission, constant practice might be a couple times a year.

That said, back in post #123, an organization was mentioned with chapter's local to the OP.
Still a good idea to contact them. They may know of better or more convenient ranges.

(I thought there were other organizations mentioned, also, but I can't find those posts.)
Actually, for me, it needs to be weekly, at least.

Oh, back in the day when I was young and without much of a care in the world and it was 4 times a week!

Old 03-25-2024, 05:40 PM

50,715 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Ease of the range is a vital factor for constant practice and constant practice is vital.

Yes, and this works out well as I pass it on the way home. I could probably even go at lunch, but I like to zone out at lunch (that's when I come here, lol). I don't have a choice anyway, as every range I looked at online has a rule that they don't rent guns to people who are there alone (I assume some range had a suicide under such circumstances at some time in the past and so they made that rule). They make an exception for me because I have taken classes and lessons there, and they know I live almost an hour away so I don't have anyone in the area to go with me.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:41 PM

50,715 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Alternatives to handguns do exist. The Shockwave and similar are interesting, but according to Gun Reports, most of their staff had a hard time shooting these accurately. An actual shotgun, as opposed to "other weapon" type "not shotguns" that use shotgun ammunition, is easier to hit with. That said, a laser sight on one of these might make it easier to hit with. Certainly, the intimidation factor of looking at a 12 gauge muzzle and noting a laser spot on your chest (or crotch'!) would get the most hardened criminal thinking.

This month's American Rifleman has an article on the Kel-Tec .410 bullpup shotgun, it holds quite a few rounds and there is more and more good defensive ammo out there for the .410. Easy to work and with practically no recoil, something to consider. That said for my taste Kel-Tec gats are built to a low price, and I would hesitate to really trust one unless I had shot it a lot, and not had any functioning issues.

How hard are they for a frail old lady, LOL?

Old 03-25-2024, 05:46 PM

86 posts, read 17,931 times
Beretta 3032 Tomcat. .32 ACP is a good one. You never have to rack the slide, because barrel tilts up to load. Then after the first shot it is single action. eazy peasy.

Old 03-25-2024, 05:46 PM

24,476 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Actually, for me, it needs to be weekly, at least.

Oh, back in the day when I was young and without much of a care in the world and it was 4 times a week!
And you posted about recoil getting you recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement