Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 12:06 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Is that 9mm? I forgot to mention the jams, the Glock jammed twice in one session! I’ll see if that’s one of the guns available for rent this Friday.
No it’s a .380 and size wise it’s larger than a .22, but a little smaller than a 9mm. Check out some of the videos on the Ruger Security .380 on YouTube. It’s really a nice little gun. Not too heavy, easy to load, not much recoil and it holds a good amount of ammunition. I paid less than $300.00 for mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 12:09 PM

313 posts, read 179,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
An LEO friend of mine told me a .22 is the worst gun to be shot with, because the bullet doesn't exit. It bounces around in your body, hitting more than one organ. It doesn't have the stopping power of a bigger caliber, but if you hit the torso, the guy is eventually going to die.
Eventually, after he's stabbed you a dozen times, before staggering out the back door and dying on the patio

In a defense situation, you don't want eventually. You want ASAP

Old 03-12-2024, 12:10 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
Consider an S&W EZ in .380. Wifey had difficulty with racking but the EZ version was ok.

Hornady critical duty ammo works well in .380
Thanks I’ll add it to the list to look into thanks!

Old 03-12-2024, 12:11 PM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Eventually, after he's stabbed you a dozen times, before staggering out the back door

Didn't say I owned one

Old 03-12-2024, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
No it’s a .380 and size wise it’s larger than a .22, but a little smaller than a 9mm. Check out some of the videos on the Ruger Security .380 on YouTube. It’s really a nice little gun. Not too heavy, easy to load, not much recoil and it holds a good amount of ammunition. I paid less than $300.00 for mine.
I wonder why the instructor didn’t mention .380? The lessons are at a gun shop/range, too.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:13 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Eventually, after he's stabbed you a dozen times, before falling on top of your already lifeless body.

.22 without the power of a .223 is a poor man stopper unless used execution style .

it isn’t a wound that stops a bad guy . it’s the powerful disruption to the nervous system by a powerful round staying contained within the body dissipating its energy .

in combat training we have the 20 foot rule .

that means anyone within 20 feet even if shot in the heart could live long enough to cover 20 ft and stab or hack you to death .

we we were taught to aim for the hip area as shattering the hip makes an attack end .

odds of doing that with a 22 are slim without a lucky shot. a 22 is just to iffy for self defense

Old 03-12-2024, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
Failure to eject (stovepipe)? Jams could be caused by a number of things from dirty gun, low quality ammo, poor shooter technique. Did the instructor mention anything about you "limp wristing? You can inadvertently cause jams by not having a firm grip on the pistol which is not uncommon with a new shooter.

Akin to an old wives tale
She is big on grip, and I needed correction at times but she was next to me when it jammed and didn’t say anything about my grip, she just said sometimes they jam. But I’d hate for it to jam when I really needed it.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:19 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Semiautos by design have to have a large grip to accommodate the magazine.

Revolvers have many more grip size and shape options to choose from that might fit your hands better. What might help is to go where grips are sold and try a few in your hands. Grips made from wood or rubber... With finger "grooves" or without them... larger or smaller. Custom grips can be made to fit you. Way more options.

For home defense, I'd recommend a mid size (4-6 inch) target revolver like a Smith&Wesson Model 19 in .357 caliber for it's weight, options in load power, and options in grip size. This was the first gun my dad bought for me as a young adult, and is still my favorite 36 years later. It is a bit too big for concealed carry, but good for home defense and target shooting as comfortably as you can. Smaller and lighter guns will kick more and be harder to control your targeting with when shooting. In this, the bigger the better, within reason. And important for your comfort, a .357 can shoot .38 caliber bullets which have plenty of stopping power but less kick than .357 magnums, if you have trouble with more powerful loads, especially when practicing.

A long day of shooting would be fatiguing on thumbs with any powerful gun, obviously this will not be as much of a concern in an actual defense situation where you only need to fire 6. Many people practice with .38s for comfort and cost savings, but load it with .357 for defense.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I don't seem to be strong enough to slide a hand gun. A revolver is easier for me. And I'm getting my Mom's 16gauge shot gun. Dad has some revolvers, I need to practice with. He is 95 and has a ton of guns and is a custom knife maker. I do want a couple of guns,my brother will get the rest and I will get a safe. He has 2. I'll try sliding a hand gun, to see if I can do it quickly. I'm 71 F. Not as strong as I was, due to rotator cuff complicated surgery, full range on motion but not good on strength.
I didn’t have too many problems with the slide, except for keeping my other hand where the instructor wanted it to be while I was doing it. The bigger issue was loading the magazine. But the revolver was definitely easier. Are there drawbacks to revolver aside from it holding less bullets and not being semiautomatic?

Old 03-12-2024, 12:20 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
for someone who doesn’t train , a revolver is hard to beat for simplicity and lack of jams
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement