Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2024, 11:41 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You might want to find another instructor.
Have you looked at good ol' shotguns for home defense considering your physical issues and limited shooting experience? Nothing like the sound of racking a pump!
as pointed out many times by trainers the shotgun comes with lots of bad myths and poor tactics .

Yes, every American who has ever watched an action movie knows the sound of a shotgun slide being racked. but are you going to bet your life the drug addict who has come into your home with a pistol who is planning on doing you , your wife or kids harm is going to hear the scary sound while high and pay attention ? they don't even realize they have been shot most of the time . so what chance does a noise have .

The other problem is you have to be close enough to your threat for them to hear you.

Racking the slide will pop the round out of the chamber .

You are basically walking into a danger zone with an unloaded weapon. The usual response to this is, “I’m real quick with racking the slide. It won’t matter'

this is more mental masturbation because they lack realistic training to do so under pressure and with the loss of find motor skills .

In all honesty, you will not rack the slide quick enough. You will only rise to the level of training you have mastered.

I have never seen any training methods where you practice sneaking up on a criminal with an unloaded gun and make a scary noise .

or the person says they will have the shotgun loaded, but will rack it again when they get close.

I can’t even begin to know why any person in their right mind would take a live shell out of the chamber of a weapon, giving them one fewer round to protect his or her life in order to make a scary noise.

Scary noises are not a good tactic for saving your life, just like a rape whistle will never replace a gun. Arrive to the fight ready to fight, not with a scary noise making device.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-12-2024 at 11:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Get a big dog and a security system.
once the dog is tossed drugged meat , the game is over .

it happened here in a home invasion

Old 03-12-2024, 11:53 AM

22,565 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
The instructor said a 22 wasn’t powerful enough for home defense. Those were easy to load!
.22 LR For Self Defense: Ammunition Test & Comparison
https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...st-comparison/

Old 03-12-2024, 11:55 AM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
.22 LR For Self Defense: Ammunition Test & Comparison
https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...st-comparison/

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2024, 11:57 AM

313 posts, read 179,657 times
Consider an S&W EZ in .380. Wifey had difficulty with racking but the EZ version was ok.

Hornady critical duty ammo works well in .380

Old 03-12-2024, 11:58 AM

my wife who is pretty small has no problem with her s&w 686

Old 03-12-2024, 11:58 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
to those women who use a gun for self-defense, what kind of gun do you use?
My first handgun purchase was a S&W .38 with 4" barrel that has a nice grip and is easy to pull the trigger.

My father-in-law's issued LEO S&W .357 magnum, is an absolute bear to shoot. Hard to pull the trigger, and it has a terrible kick. It stays in its case.

My dad's S&W 9mm is a beautiful gun, but despite taking classes, I always get the skin between my thumb and forefinger stuck in the slide action. Definitely doesn't feel good.

I'm now in the market for a smaller semi-auto like a Ruger LCP .380 that I hope I could handle better. I plan on going to the gun range to try out a bunch of different ones first.

Last edited by clevergirl67; 03-12-2024 at 12:08 PM..

Old 03-12-2024, 12:05 PM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
I don't seem to be strong enough to slide a hand gun. A revolver is easier for me. And I'm getting my Mom's 16gauge shot gun. Dad has some revolvers, I need to practice with. He is 95 and has a ton of guns and is a custom knife maker. I do want a couple of guns,my brother will get the rest and I will get a safe. He has 2. I'll try sliding a hand gun, to see if I can do it quickly. I'm 71 F. Not as strong as I was, due to rotator cuff complicated surgery, full range on motion but not good on strength.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:06 PM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
The instructor said a 22 wasn’t powerful enough for home defense. Those were easy to load!

An LEO friend of mine once told me a .22 is the worst gun to be shot with, because the bullet doesn't exit. It bounces around in your body, hitting more than one organ. It doesn't have the stopping power of a bigger caliber, but if you hit the torso, the guy is eventually going to die.

Old 03-12-2024, 12:06 PM

487 posts, read 536,157 times
Quote:
I forgot to mention the jams, the Glock jammed twice in one session!
Failure to eject (stovepipe)? Jams could be caused by a number of things from dirty gun, low quality ammo, poor shooter technique. Did the instructor mention anything about you "limp wristing? You can inadvertently cause jams by not having a firm grip on the pistol which is not uncommon with a new shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
An LEO friend of mine told me a .22 is the worst gun to be shot with, because the bullet doesn't exit. It bounces around in your body, hitting more than one organ. It doesn't have the stopping power of a bigger caliber, but if you hit the torso, the guy is eventually going to die.
Akin to an old wives tale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement