Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2024, 01:32 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It was that, but also that it jammed twice in a short time. And she had to clear the jams for me. I will rent a 9mm again too, though and continue practicing with different types. Are there certain brands that have a reputation of jamming more than others?
Yes, some brands may be better than others, but semiautos do have the problem of jamming, especially when dirty or when they haven't been well oiled. They're fussy. Will your slide get gummy from dust when sitting in your house not being fired? Maybe. They need to work to keep the slide slick. The gun uses the energy of the kick to open the slide and eject the case when firing, so lower caliber guns will jam more often than higher power ones. My .22 fails to eject the case and jams quite often. It's annoying. And when out shooting, it happens more frequently the more we shoot without cleaning.

9mm will be a little better than a .22... but not as good as a .45. Note you probably would NEVER like a .45, because of the kick, and because the grips are too big for most women's hands.

Revolvers are a LOT more fool proof. A lot less can go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
Is OP in NJ? Ya that would eliminate a lot of her options unfortunately.
Yes, Jersey girl here.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:34 PM

313 posts, read 179,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
If you want to possibly bet your life or the life of a loved on that, rock on there John Wayne. My philosophy is…better safe than sorry.
Along the same lines, I'd also recommend a Claymore under the welcome mat, and a punji pit after that.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:36 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpact View Post
Is OP in NJ? Ya that would eliminate a lot of her options unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Yes, some brands may be better than others, but semiautos do have the problem of jamming, especially when dirty or when they haven't been well oiled. They're fussy. Will your slide get gummy from dust when sitting in your house not being fired? Maybe. They need to work to keep the slide slick. The gun uses the energy of the kick to open the slide and eject the case when firing, so lower caliber guns will jam more often than higher power ones. My .22 fails to eject the case and jams quite often. It's annoying. And when out shooting, it happens more frequently the more we shoot without cleaning.

9mm will be a little better than a .22... but not as good as a .45. Note you probably would NEVER like a .45, because of the kick, and because the grips are too big for most women's hands.

I may start out with a revolver. I can always get another down the road. Although I hope I don’t have to go through the whole process again (I needed to go get fingerprints and needed two references which my local PD called). But that was for firearms I.d. card and two purchase permits. Maybe I’ll end up getting two before they expire just to avoid all that.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:36 PM

983 posts, read 514,208 times
Quote:
Hello. I have been in the process of getting a gun for home defense. I took a Ladies handgun class a couple of weeks ago and had a private lesson from the same instructor last week. I am trialing different guns to see what I feel comfortable with. I've used a Glock with 22s first, then 9mm, and a revolver. The issue is I have arthritis in both thumbs, which made loading the 9mm bullets in the magazine very hard to do. The revolver was much easier to load, but I couldn't use it as "double action" because the gun was too big for my finger to get in far enough for that.

To those with weak hands or issues with their hands, and to those women who use a gun for self-defense, what kind of gun do you use? The instructor told me if I went smaller, my accuracy would suffer because it would recoil more.

I hope this isn't inappropriate for this forum, I just wanted to get perspective from other women with old hands, lol.
Is your concern focused on primarily home defense?

Maybe find a range that lets you rent different guns to try. I have 2 in my area that do that, and will provide an instructor for a session.

There are longish threads regarding your concerns in the Guns and Hunting forum here at CD.

Double action revolvers will almost always have a "heavier" trigger pull, which can be a problem for weaker, smaller arthritic hands, but revolvers are simple and tend to be very reliable. Single action mode requires a looong stretch for a short thumb to bring the hammer back often also.

Mag loaders are common for loading semi auto pistol mags, and help with loading, especially those last couple rounds when almost full. I use them. No shame.

Semi auto pistols may be easier to shoot, and there are models that are designed to be easier to operate the slide, or add ons that let you slip a finger into a ring and use your larger forearm strength to operate the slide. Even though I personally carry a little Ruger LCP II .22 pistol when out and about at times, .22 caliber is usually not recommended for self defense by most. I think 9mm meets in the middle for ammo choice, recoil, availability and is so popular that there are many options in that caliber.

Although not a woman, my 81 year old brother in law is small in stature and has little strength in his arms and hands, having some of the same concerns as you. He never had interest in firearms before 2020, but became concerned after the post George Floyd death riots brought unrest near his condo in Scottsdale AZ, so he was an older completely inexperienced potential fire arm owner.

He asked me for advice and after trying multiple revolvers/pistols in varied calibers, we found a small short shotgun in .410 worked well for him. Easy to load, uses point shooting, and has fairly low recoil. have taken him to the range multiple time now, and he has become fairly proficient with it.

https://www.mossberg.com/590-shockwave-410-bore.html

I bought him several boxes of quality home defense ammo as well.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/h...fense-2-1-2#!/

Old 03-12-2024, 01:37 PM

487 posts, read 536,157 times
Quote:
Yes, Jersey girl here.
Then you're limited to 10 round magazines. You can thank Connecticut for modeling NJ's "assault weapon" & "high capacity" magazine bans.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:38 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Please tell us the cons of having 16 rounds as opposed to 6 or 8.

I have a six-shooter revolver that fits my hand and hits what I point it at, reliably, every time, whether I am nervous or calm, whether it's dirty or clean or has been sitting in a drawer.

That beats a gun I'm less familiar with, that is fussy about dirt or misfires or has a safety I forget to operate under stress, no matter how many bullets it holds.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:42 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post

9mm was a popular military round , not because it was a good man stopper but because being such a high speed round it tended to wound more than kill.

a wound soldier slows the enemy down , it takes resources to care for them and ties up transportation vehicles .

so the military objective was to wound more then kill as 9mm can stink at that .

there are documented cases of bikers and drug crazed bad guys taking round after round of 9mm .

when the fbi was forced to abandon the .45 they were so against it .

well a now famous fire fight in miami proved why it was a poor move .

multiple attackers were hit with lots of 9mm rounds .

the agents thought they were all down .

well the bad guys opened fire killing some agents and paralyzing one .

not to admit they made a mistake and ho back to .45 , they had s&w work on a new caliber with the capacity of a 9 in ammo but harder hitting . and do the .40 caliber came out of that .

many agencies ditched the 9mm for the .40

Old 03-12-2024, 01:44 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
Then you're limited to 10 round magazines. You can thank Connecticut for modeling NJ's "assault weapon" & "high capacity" magazine bans.
new york is the same 10 rounds but we can have hollow points

Old 03-12-2024, 01:46 PM

313 posts, read 179,657 times
Quote:
Yes, Jersey girl here.
Then you're limited on the type of ammo you can use as well. Hollow points are out. Hornaday Critical Defense isn't considered hollow point, so they're probably your best option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement