Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2024, 03:33 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
What do you mean, swap out? I didn't know they were changeable. I feel like if I was limp wristing the instructor would have said, because she corrects my grip telling me too much gap, or that my thumbs are in the wrong place, etc.
There is a huge aftermarket for parts including grips. It is like earrings - out one and in the other. Again - try another trainer. Are any NRA ranges in your area? They can be a good place to check for training, advise and reassurance.

Quote:
I think the noise is not so much that it's loud, but that I have spent my life thinking guns are scary, so it's weird to hear gunshots going off. I'm hoping as I get more used to it and more comfortable that will lessen.
I never thought much about guns. SO gave me a Remington 7mm and told me to hit the target. He forgot to mention not to creep into the scope. The deer would have been in the freezer but I had a delightful shiner. Look at a gun as an extension of you, treat it like a friend, squeeze the trigger, talk to it, tell it what to do, say thank you. Get decent ear protection! Custom ear plugs work well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2024, 03:34 PM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Long story short, use the gun that works for you, that you would be comfortable using and practicing with. Because if you are using it for self defence and you are not practicing with it, then it is not going to be as good because it is unfamiliar in your hands.

As to what do I use, well, two things. Me, I use .45 caliber but right now, I am grounded from shooting as my finger heals. My Doctor doesn't want my body to suffer that recoil. Secondly, ........ I am not the one to use as an example for different worlds.
How tedious/involved is it to clean a semiautomatic?

Old 03-12-2024, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you don't intend to carry the gun, just have it in your house, a Ruger .22 automatic for example can be OK. I'd make sure it works well with Stingers, the hot CCI .22 LR round. There is an aftermarket plastic magazine available that is very easy to load. Or treat yourself to the new Colt .22 DA/SA revolver. A .22 you can hit with is better than a bigger round that you will mostly miss with.

A larger .380 like the Beretta Cheetah is easy to shoot and very little recoil. Some of the more advanced loads offered now for the .380 make it more effective than it was when FMJ was about all you could get.

Beretta has several models of automatic pistol with a tip-up barrel such that you don't have to rack the slide to chamber the first round.
That’s a good point. It’s harder to be accurate with a 9mm? What are stingers?

Old 03-12-2024, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Swap out for grips that fit your hand better.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...revolver-grips
Wow I had no idea you could do that!

Old 03-12-2024, 03:38 PM

I probably won’t be replying anymore tonight as I’m getting ready to go out, but thanks everyone for your responses so far!

Old 03-12-2024, 03:38 PM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:

Hoping so too. I really enjoy shooting, and talking about it. Haven't gone in awhile... it's gotten so expensive! I used to have a friend who reloaded ammo, and we could shoot all day for almost nothing. Now it's a real cost to go.
Components have gone sky high but you can find primers again. Get a reloader! Just FYI - your friend could have gotten into hot water.

Quote:
No matter what someone else says you need, do what works for you. Because in the end, what you're looking for is very personal, has to work for you, and none of us will be there. Good luck. Report back!
Absolutely!

Old 03-12-2024, 03:40 PM

983 posts, read 514,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
If you don't intend to carry the gun, just have it in your house, a Ruger .22 automatic for example can be OK. I'd make sure it works well with Stingers, the hot CCI .22 LR round. There is an aftermarket plastic magazine available that is very easy to load. Or treat yourself to the new Colt .22 DA/SA revolver. A .22 you can hit with is better than a bigger round that you will mostly miss with.

A larger .380 like the Beretta Cheetah is easy to shoot and very little recoil. Some of the more advanced loads offered now for the .380 make it more effective than it was when FMJ was about all you could get.

Beretta has several models of automatic pistol with a tip-up barrel such that you don't have to rack the slide to chamber the first round.

The bolded is a great suggestion.

I may look into those myself for my wife to check out.

Old 03-12-2024, 03:43 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Quote:
I’ll look into that, never heard of it. And never would have known it was something you can get on Amazon!

Try the website I posted earlier. There's detailed instruction with pictures and if you scroll down far enough there are links to vendors. They have issues with Amazon I was unaware of.

Old 03-12-2024, 03:44 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Components have gone sky high but you can find primers again. Get a reloader! Just FYI - your friend could have gotten into hot water.

Nothing illegal about what he was doing, he was loading for police departments. It was his business. He's passed on now.

I don't think there's restrictions about reloading now in our state, but it's been awhile since I wondered about it and laws don't often move in the right direction when one isn't watching!

Old 03-12-2024, 03:45 PM

983 posts, read 514,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
TLDR; Nobody mentioned using a "Maglua ( https://www.maglula.com/ ) for loading a magazine. (Yes, I did a search on this thread). I believe they are available off Amazon. squeeze the loader, push down, insert cartridge, unsqueeze loader, lather, rinse & repeat.
I did earlier, but your direct link should be helpful to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Desert Guy View Post
Is your concern focused on primarily home defense?

Mag loaders are common for loading semi auto pistol mags, and help with loading, especially those last couple rounds when almost full. I use them. No shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement